New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Clutch

<---Pass
Car companies need to stop doing throw back vehicles. It just disappointed enthusiast and taints the name.

I would take a new Challenger Hellcat in Plum Crazy...over an original. :D

Gimme this for slab arsejackery...

img_2002.jpg

...and this for dirt, sand, mud and rock buffoonery. :D

jeep_nukizer_715_2.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I got a ticket for 20 over today, if I had the hellcat I'd be in jail.

Not to rub salt in the wound but Thanksgiving Day will mark 26 years since my last speeding ticket. We were just coming back from meeting my Mother-in-Law for the 1st time and got it rolling into Moab, UT heading back to Idaho from NM. My wife gets really mad every time I mention that "anniversary."

docwatson

Adventurer
Seems like ever thread on here compares the Gladiator to the Power Wagon and complains about the short bed. This isn't a 3/4 ton its a midsize. Granted the PW has solid axles and lockers which I think is why everyone is jumping there. They are still very different vehicles.

Have you all looked at the bed lengths of most trucks? All the crewcab midsizes are ~5ft and the halftons are ~5.5ft. A 5ft bed can be plenty practical unless you truly need a truck which most truck owners don't.

These will sell, volume will be price dependent.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
its not called a scrambler, because a scrambler was cool little standard cab with small bed for stuff. it maintained offroadability with a 103 inch wheelbase. a standard cab jeep with a small bed would be a scrambler. feel free to call it yo mama if you want, it still wont be yo mama.

this is called a gladiator because its a name that was in the jeep trademark bucket, and it too had a 120 inch wheelbase. great for a pickup bed, but less than ideal for offroading. too bad the new one doesnt have a pickup bed. you'd have to disassemble a push mower to get it to fit. it has the same payload as an SUV, but without fold down seats and roof.

It's for show.

now, someone in the aftermarket could make a standard cab out of it with door inserts, and an ursa minor style top, and the story would change....

I have a suspicion this 4 door one will be called the gladiator, and if and when they make a much shorter 2 door version, it will be a called the scrambler.
AEV seem to think they will make a 2 door one.
Fingers crossed.

-Dan

Clutch

<---Pass
Seems like ever thread on here compares the Gladiator to the Power Wagon and complains about the short bed. This isn't a 3/4 ton its a midsize. Granted the PW has solid axles and lockers which I think is why everyone is jumping there. They are still very different vehicles.

Don't think it is comparing a 3/4 ton to a midsize for capability, but what you can get cost-wise. Willing to bet the S Model will be around $35K...maybe a little less. Be priced competitively with other midsizes. And sure, some fullsizes. But some don't want the size or poor fuel economy of a fullsize even though the prices are similar.

Have you all looked at the bed lengths of most trucks? All the crewcab midsizes are ~5ft and the halftons are ~5.5ft. A 5ft bed can be plenty practical unless you truly need a truck which most truck owners don't.

Yep, most don't buy trucks for work anymore. If I was buying a truck for actual work, it certainly wouldn't be a pickup of any sort. It would be a cab over with a flatbed. Get the most useable hauling space out of one of those. Damn glad I don't need a truck for work anymore...only for running about & play, mostly. ;) :)

isuzu-fuso-iveco-aluminum-truck-ute-bed-ute-tray-747.jpg

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
its not called a scrambler, because a scrambler was cool little standard cab with small bed for stuff. it maintained offroadability with a 103 inch wheelbase. a standard cab jeep with a small bed would be a scrambler. feel free to call it yo mama if you want, it still wont be yo mama.

this is called a gladiator because its a name that was in the jeep trademark bucket, and it too had a 120 inch wheelbase. great for a pickup bed, but less than ideal for offroading. too bad the new one doesnt have a pickup bed. you'd have to disassemble a push mower to get it to fit. it has the same payload as an SUV, but without fold down seats and roof.

It's for show.

now, someone in the aftermarket could make a standard cab out of it with door inserts, and an ursa minor style top, and the story would change....

Yeah I don't know about yo mama but mine really has no interest in buying the Scrambler and neither do I but let's break this down a little.......

How can a dbl cab vehicle that tows up to 7650 lbs and has a payload of 1600 lbs in the 5 foot steel bed, available front and rear lockers, solid axles, available diesel, available manual trans, be only for show??? Again, your bias is clouding the facts. This vehicle will be plenty capable up until it breaks.

The Colorado, in comparison since it is a direct competitor to the Scrambler, has a 5'2" bed in it's double cab configuration. It can only tow 7000 lbs and has a payload of 1590 lbs in that configuration.

The Tacoma Dbl Cab, another midsize competitor of the Scrambler, can tow 6500 lbs and has a payload rating of 1155 lbs. It's bed is also only 5 feet long, same as the Scrambler.

The Ford Ranger..maximum tow rating of 7500 lbs when equipped with the optional tow package....having trouble finding the payload on the dbl cab but it looks to be a 5 foot bed also...

Yeah the Scrambler is very competitive to others in it's class.

Last edited:

moabian

Everything is rumor at this point, but it is a pretty well-accepted rumor that the diesel will not be available until about a year after initial release.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah I don't know about yo mama but mine really has no interest in buying the Scrambler and neither do I but let's break this down a little.......

How can a dbl cab vehicle that tows up to 7650 lbs and has a payload of 1600 lbs in the 5 foot steel bed, available front and rear lockers, solid axles, available diesel, available manual trans, be only for show??? Again, your bias is clouding the facts. This vehicle will be plenty capable up until it breaks.

The Colorado, in comparison since it is a direct competitor to the Scrambler, has a 5'2" bed in it's double cab configuration. It can only tow 7000 lbs and has a payload of 1590 lbs in that configuration.

The Tacoma Dbl Cab, another midsize competitor of the Scrambler, can tow 6500 lbs and has a payload rating of 1155 lbs. It's bed is also only 5 feet long, same as the Scrambler.

The Ford Ranger..maximum tow rating of 7500 lbs when equipped with the optional tow package....having trouble finding the payload on the dbl cab but it looks to be a 5 foot bed also...

Yeah the Scrambler is very competitive to others in it's class.

Don't know why zimm thinks the new Gladiator is going to be worthless. The original Scrambler's bed was 4'8"....the new one will be a touch more than that plus a back seat. Plus have a better payload, towing, more power and decent fuel economy.

Betcha aftermarket companies are going to be Scrambling to manufacture goodies for the new platform. :D:p

Unknown12.jpg

images34.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears