New Jeep, Sport S or Rubicon?

dylanblada

Observer
Definitely some good points about ordering Longtallsally. From what I've seen there is quite a long lead time for ordered Rubicons, like a few months sometimes. Most of my statements are based on a $13k difference. It might not be worth it to try to recreate a Rubi from a Sport S, but OP doesn't need all the delicious Rubicon goodies; he can just pick and choose. For sure the gears and T-case swaps add up, but it probably isn't necessarily needed. I guess I also assume that you would sell most of your old gear to partially offset the new stuff. That's what I tend to do, but I guess everybody might not do that.

As for the stereo/GPS unit, I'd rather not have the complication of the screen. I suppose everybody is different, but how often do you really need a GPS anyway? I'd rather just have a Garmin etc or if all else fails, my phone with $10 suction cup mount, both of which have up to date maps. I just have a problem paying so much for tech that is inferior and less future proof.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Definitely some good points about ordering Longtallsally. From what I've seen there is quite a long lead time for ordered Rubicons, like a few months sometimes. Most of my statements are based on a $13k difference. It might not be worth it to try to recreate a Rubi from a Sport S, but OP doesn't need all the delicious Rubicon goodies; he can just pick and choose. For sure the gears and T-case swaps add up, but it probably isn't necessarily needed. I guess I also assume that you would sell most of your old gear to partially offset the new stuff. That's what I tend to do, but I guess everybody might not do that.

As for the stereo/GPS unit, I'd rather not have the complication of the screen. I suppose everybody is different, but how often do you really need a GPS anyway? I'd rather just have a Garmin etc or if all else fails, my phone with $10 suction cup mount, both of which have up to date maps. I just have a problem paying so much for tech that is inferior and less future proof.

Well said on all points and more good food for thought to the OP. The debate can easily go to, "well I'm not hard core wheeling, so I don't need the extras of the Rubicon". But, the head room if a situation arises was too much for me to pass up, and I guess I do a bit more difficult stuff, but not often enough to warrant getting REALLY nice hard core equipment.

On the GPS, again, very well said. Personally, I use the GPS almost every time I drive the Jeep. When we lived in Europe, based on the complexity of the streets and not speaking the language, we LIVED on GPSm and now that we're back in the States, we're still learning the area we moved to, so having it that handy has been a real convenience. However, where it also comes in handy is also in determining arrival times. We also use the Travel Link for when we're on longish trips towing the camper to find the cheapest fuel (and that thing is spot on) and on single trips it has saved the cost of a tank of fuel.

Oh yeah, on delivery times. We ordered ours in March or late Feb '12 and it was delivered in Early April. I thought that was pretty darn good. And the price we got ours for had every option but the highest end stereo, leather, auto climate control (in a Wrangler, seriously?), and the afore mentioned leather, and was less than the base MSRP for a 2 door Rubicon and ours is an Unlimited.

I'm babbling again and basically presented all our decision criteria. There has been a lot of good info for the OP and hopefully it gives him the info he was looking for help make and informed decision.

dylanblada

Observer
Roger that. That's a resonable delivery time and sounds like a good price. I think is the 1st thing OP needs to look into.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, yeah-ordering is the simplest way to get relatively EXACTLY what you want and just be ready for the wait-

Even though I've modified mine extensively for over 4 years, I've kept the NV241OR/lockers/esway/dana44s and the STICKERS:snorkel:

So my only real downtime was for two days in regearing, everything else was daily and I have sold the stock stuff, except the Rubi Dana 44-4.10 gears-(boxed)

Not many off-roaders actually tow an off-road trailer OFF-ROAD, I mean in pretty tough rocky hills and bad trails--there are some that do and they know how tough it is on inclines, up rocks-

Even without the regearing the Rubi esway/lockers and 4lo advantage makes a world of difference-

Don't misunderstand me--a Sport/X/Sahara can be built to be very superior to a Rubi, when you're willing to take the down time/cost/loss of warranty-etc, but it's notta Rubi-

OP, just go with your gut, you're the one who ends up responsible !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Judoka

Learning To Live
Well, I can tell you from a dealer's perspective, that we make deals on both Sports and Rubicons every day. So, dont worry about paying full sticker on one unless it is a 10th Aniversary Rubicon. As for ordering one...I ordered my 10th Aniversary recently, and I doubt it will take more than 6 weeks to get (although it has been in D1 status for 2 weeks now). If you want your rig designed exactly how you intend it to be then it is well worth the weight. As for the price difference between the Sport and Rubicon... I consider it a bargain for the benefits of a better front axle, lockers, sway bar discos at the touch of a button and a MUCH stronger transfer case. As someone who has modified a Wrangler extensively I can tell you that gearing, lockers and t-case reduction ratios alone offset the cost easilly!
Just my 2 cents worth:ylsmoke:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I had a 2001 TJ Sport that I had put stock Rubi D44s into. I recouped the cost of the axle upgrade in the sale of the D30/35 and in the sale of the Jeep. That's why I bought a new Sport, I'll still recoupe whatever upgrades I'll make to it again. Yes, cheaper going in, be cheap in upgrading, and cheaper resale, but it all balances out. If it wasn't for Sequestation though, I would've bought a Rubi this time.

Nomad_K

Adventurer
I have a Rubicon and I love it - D44's, 4:10 gears, e-lockers, and with the Pentastar, it can get out of its own way. That said, if I were to pick up another Wrangler I would be tempted to get a base soft top, run ARB or Detroit/Eaton E-lockers, and put the difference into a quality lift, tires, skids, and rails.

If you want to play around on light trails with a mild lift and 33-35 inch tires, I would get a sport.

If you want to play around on medium trails with a few more rocks, I would run a lift, 35's, and rock a Rubicon. You could do that with a Sport but the locking differentials, 4:10's, and e-Disconnects make it easier.

If I was going to go a little wild with 37's and more time playing around on rocks and technical terrain, I would start with a sport, add 37's, a quality 2.5 - 3.5 inch lift, a Dynatrac 44 or 44/60 hybrid with an ARB or Eaton E-locker front and rear, and Currie Anti-rock swaybars in lieu of e-Disconnects.

Beyond that I would learn to weld and I would just build a dedicated trail rig.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Just tossing this out there. 5 of us went out today and were just playing around. Mostly light wheeling (which I apparently forgot to tell my oil pan about - but anyway). 2 Rubi's, 1 TJ, 1 XJ and 1 WJ?. Due to the lose gravel, wet/slick grass, and snow (once we were up high), the other 3 had a bunch of issues in several parts all along the trail. The 2 rubi's with the lockers more or less just powered through everything. And I can't imagine the damage I would have done to my underside if it wasn't for the lockers in giving me traction to get out of the rocks I found myself in (a bunch of rocks hidden in scrub brush and moss).

I honestly never knew what a nice feature they were until I saw what they allowed someone to do when I didn't have them. Or now that I do, when I watch someone else try what I just did without them.

Personally, I thought power windows and leather was silly on a Jeep. Thats just my opinion. My 2012 Jku was $24k. It sat on the lot for nearly a year. Nobody wanted a manual and cranky windows.

I did pick up Rubi rock rails and shocks for $140! I see 2013 wheels and tires brand new for less than a grand. You could probably do a complete Rubi upgrade off craigslist. That would be a fun build thread....

pilosopo

Adventurer
I'm sure this has been said already.

I have a Rubicon and love it. I didn't purchase it because I figured I'd be setting it up to do crazy trails, but instead because I knew I wouldn't change anything.

I added 1" lift springs to overcome the weight of my bumpers, new dampers to match, and just ordered 33s. That's it, that's the extent if my mechanical changes, and as such I have a reliable, capable, awesome vehicle that brings me joy.

If I were to do the big lift, tires, etc. I'd go for a sport or a Sahara I suppose knowing full well I'd be replacing many of the parts.

The beauty of the rubicon is its ability out of the box. I've accentuated that to an extent, but that's it. More money left for a roof rack, RTT, bumpers, etc.

I have a '13 rubicon. I love it. For my uses. If i was planning on running anything over 35" tire I'd go for a Sport. But I don't plan on that. I have a Toyota for that. I bought the rubi to commute and take some nice off road trips with the family (even though I still plan on doing the same with the 4runner)

I got a base rubicon with the connectivity package. Cloth seats xm and Bluetooth basically. Oh and a leather steering wheel for some reason.

I have a buddy with a sport, that's is on 35" tires with aev bumpers front and rear and a few other really nice upgrades. We probably have the same invested. His jeep looks alot more ************ than mine, but mine has that sticker ;)

Rancho

Supporting Sponsor - Rancho Suspensions
I went SPORT package because I knew if I went with the Rubicon package, I knew at some point I would be upgrading most of the Rubicon package.
What I do miss is the low gearing in the t-case, but I will save for a few years and get an ATLAS.
I also knew 37's were going on right away, and my MPG are out the window!

DSC04182_zps78f53ea3.jpeg

Fitchottie

I don't know where you are located, but I got a 2013 JKUR Black, Premium Top, Auto , Auto Temp, Leather heated seats, Connectivity, Max Toe for 34,000 plus 399 dealer fee, 74 tag, and 64 tax.. traded a 2013 JKUS .

Rancho

Supporting Sponsor - Rancho Suspensions
I don't know where you are located, but I got a 2013 JKUR Black, Premium Top, Auto , Auto Temp, Leather heated seats, Connectivity, Max Toe for 34,000 plus 399 dealer fee, 74 tag, and 64 tax.. traded a 2013 JKUS .

Man your tax/tag is CHEAP. My vehicle registration was $700....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman