New JLU for Overlanding?

Sid Post

Observer
I have been looking for a good Toyota Series 80 Land Cruiser/LX-450 but, the search so far has been fruitless. This has me looking at the Jeeps. After looking at poor hack jobs with 37" tires and questionable mods to suspensions on others, I am thinking a new one might be a better option at this point

So, Rubicon or Willys? With limited slip in the rear, I'm initially thinking Willys but, the front axle is a mystery to me and the dealer I spoke with at the moment. I'm assuming it is a D30 which may or may not be good for me in this application.

The only thing causing me to think a Rubicon might be better is the Full-Lock Dana 44's for Arizona Ghost Towns and similar things. As I live in Texas, that is obviously a distant consideration. Colorado, Nevada, the Dakota's, and similar locations are places more traveled right now with trips on the East Coast in Early Fall being Minnesota, Ohio, and similar places for the most part. I will be pulling a Taxa Tiger Moth most of the time as well.

I will see some mud (not mud bogging), sand mainly in washes, ice some mornings, and a lot of slick road surfaces due to various rain-drizzle-dew on everything from hard-pack clay to asphalt, plus some snow in the upper-Eastern Midwest (Minnesota, Ohio, etc.).

TIA,
Sid

Jupiter58

The rubicon has stronger axles. Front and rear lockers, electric front sway bar disconnects and a 4:1 low range vice 2.73:1. Unless you are going to replace everything and do an extreme build the rubicon is the most capable stock 4wd available.

Sid Post

Observer
I was thinking I "might" swap the Transfer case to the 4.1 Rubicon.

Both have Dana 44's in the rear but, the Willys I think is a D30.

The front sway bar disconnect is not something I think I would use much, if at all, as I am not doing extreme rock crawling.

The cost difference would let me do a lot of mods for Overlanding upfront. The Rubicon doesn't have a factory trailer option either so, added expense there.

On the Willys, I would probably do the 3" AEV lift first along with larger tires assuming I do the lower axle gear ratios from the factory. Then better bumpers and a Warn winch.

Last edited:

Sid Post

Observer
Wouldn't the Limited Slip Differential be better overall for an Overlander? For ~$1K I could add one to the front axle of the Willys too which likely has a similar cost to the trailer stuff on a Rubicon.

FreedomRides

I explore in 2021 Jeep Willys and a Ram 1500. Jeep has 4" lift with 35's. makes wheeling easier but jeep was very capable stock. I have only been on two trails where I would have been nervous in the stock version of my jeep. I mostly use it for camping in places where I won't see other people. It is great for that. when I am going on trips solo, or with one other person, the jeep is by far the favorite because it can get me further easier, especially if we are talking narrow trails (in California). If I am going on trips with the family, I prefer the full-size truck. Ride is more comfortable and I can can bring more gear. The trade-off is I can't be as remote. If you are towing a trailer, you probably are not worried about setting up camp in a remote place, but if you like to explore after you drop the trailer, Jeep Willys is great option in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior