new look j8'ish...

LUISJG

Explorer
so I never liked how my jeep looks when i take the doors off and hard top off, so decided to install half sleek OEM doors in the back
I think it will look very nice when topless and front doorlees or front doors installed.

project x.

costs

rear half door OEM outer panel , 225 pair
paint to match kit 70
etc 50.

here it goes

my jeep. 2011 jku sahara tan,, aev dualsport 2.5.

LUISJG

Explorer
recieved the outer panels and started by welding 4 bolts on each on the back, and start eliminating all holes
the doors will be completely flat on the outside, no door knobs.

Espo78

Adventurer
Interested to see where this goes. I didn't realize the outer door skins are so cheap, wonder if there is a way to make them functional without the rest of the door parts? Could they be welded/attached to some cheap tube doors for a factory look?

LUISJG

Explorer
I Know they are cheap!!,, yes its easy to make them functional and intend to do so, thats why you see those 4 bolts i welded in the back,
they are going to hold the inner custom made part, that will add the door some beef, and wont rattle plus will serve to attache
my necesary hardware to make them lock and open. however they will only open from the inside offcourse.

things are looking good , walk in the park kind of project. I Started to bondo the hardware holes with the help of the sheet metal backing so it wont take to much material and
avoid bondo cracks.

my paint kit wish I think is preety neat is supouse to arrive on monday, I got it from automotivetouchup.com and was inexpensive, got primer,paint,clear coat, and a gun type holder for the cans. for 68 bucks.

I could buy some factory hinges so I dont have to use mine but that will set me back 200 , so id rather use the same ones.

one other thing Im thinking about is to add some kind of rail on top of the door edge and continue all the way to the back of the jeep , just to give it a uniform finish with the rest of the cargo area edge, first i thought in moulding and adding on the upper edge of the door to make it with the "leap" that has the cargo area that holds the soft top window lower edge, or even a tonneau, I could easily but 2 tunneau covers and have them stitch together to make a big one, anyway,, I just want to keep it simple
since its intended use is for when im cruising down the beach and topless , and front door less, or even with the front door will look nice!

will upload more pics next week when I prime this things

LUISJG

Explorer
BTW, if someone decide to do this project like im doing ,, dont forget to weld the bolts in the inicated spots since they wont show in the other side, only one will need some sanding in the other side.

LUISJG

Explorer
thing are looking good I have bondo and prime, now need to do some fairing in some primer spots apply more primer and paint ,in this pic, primer still wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears