New Looking for some guidance

WJ88MJames

Hello,

Been lurking for a few weeks now. Love the info very informing but still have a few questions. Well Im James currently deployed to Afgan due to come back in year or soish. Well a lil background, Im stationed in Colorado and spend almost every weekend up in the mountains or at least try to. I usta put up the tent on the rocks and take a good hour to set up camp not including the 30 mins to blow up the bed. For the last few months before I deployed I was camping in my cousins toy hauler camper. Need less to say I was spoiled but it cant go where I like to go, a lil to big for me, and oh my god the price. My vehicle is an 04 Jeep WJ (grand cherokee) Overland 4.7HO motor. It has a 4" longarm lift after market bumper with 9000# winch, Locked and some armor.

Im looking to get a trailer with an RTT up top but under it I would like to be able to haul my yamaha big bear 400 4-wheeler but also have storage for a built in camp kitchen w/sink and be able to haul atleast 20gals of fuel and water. Also want to be able to run twin batts with solar charger. My big thing I would like to be able to haul most of the majority of camping gear in the trailer.

Every summer I take a 20 day camping trip to UT AZ MT with my 6 year old son. It consist of mild trails up to 3 and some 4's. I hate camping at paid sites I prefer to go in as deep as I can with the Jeep and set up camp.

So whats your recommendations on trailer, I know of one that can haul a ATV but my question about that is once I download the ATV how stable would the RTT be without the ATV on the trailer. Tanks for any help ya all can give.

WJ88MJames

pefer to buy rather than build seeing I havnt welded in almost 15 years and not sure If i will have a garage when I return.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Im looking to get a trailer with an RTT ...able to haul my 4-wheeler ...have storage ...built in camp kitchen w/sink ...20gals of fuel and water...twin batts with solar charger ...haul the majority of my camping gear.

...my question about that is once I download the ATV how stable would the RTT be without the ATV on the trailer.

You don't want much, do you?!?! ...That's a tall order you've got there! :Wow1:

The easy solution to the RTT / top-heavy problem is making the RTT mounts adjustable so that when the 4-wheeler's out of the trailer, you can lower the RTT. That's easy.

As for all your other desires . . . wow. My trailer is based on the size of a Chaser, which is based on the size of an M-101 military trailer. Those trailers are good sized, but after taking mine off road a few time, I wouldn't want it any bigger. My trailer is just big enough to hold my camping gear, water, a fridge, and a stand-alone electical power setup. There's a little space to play with - BUT NOT ENOUGH FOR A 4-WHEELER!!!!

I'm not saying it can't be done. But I would be interested to see how you could pull all of that off, and the trailer still be small and agile enough to take on a decent off-road trail.

P.S. - Where in Afghanistan are you? I'm over here right now, too (Kandahar). I'm getting ready to head home in about 2 weeks, though.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think he's looking for something like me. Not a small trailer to haul on 3+ trails behind the truck, but a rugged larger trailer for dirt roads to set up a basecamp. Sure if he has an ATV, he doesn't need the trailer capable of 3+ trails...

I can envisage a 4x8 trailer with a RTT mounted on a frame on top, with side pods over the fenders for storage and maybe a large storage compartment up front.

WJ88MJames

Im currently down in FOB Leatherneck. I love to play in the mountains I mostly trail ride but there are times that I do take the jeep up trails that are a lil rocky but not all that often due to being a daily driver. The ATV is mostly used to run around from my campsite to friends campsites or explore a lil deeper to see if i can get the jeep in there and also used for hunting. After rethinking a few things and going through all 59 pages of this website on trailers I found a few good Ideas one is this http://www.sylvansport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=33 but I would need to modify it with a new axle and wheels and a new hitch. Or find a local place to help me build one. I am planing on spending a good chuck of change getting my set up the way I want it. After all its what I do Im not the normal soldier here that goes out to the bar and gets drunk Ide rather go drive 2-8 hours away and set up camp and get drunk. I know that I dont want something to big I do have plenty of room in the WJ and on the Roof top carrier SO as long as the trailer has enough room to carry the QUAD and a RTT and have some room to carry water, and an area to set up a kitchen I would be happy. I know its alot to ask for but..........

highlandercj-7

Explorer
The only factory built I know of, that could cover most of your requests, with out breaking the bank, would be the Fleetwood Evolution E-2:

2006_evolution_exterior.jpg

6Pins

Adventurer
yeah, came here to mention the Evolution series. I think that Haggis has one, you may want to PM him.

WMac

Adventurer
I would go with Robert Myself.

However I did own a Conqueror basecamp a couple of years back that would do what your looking for. But there RARE here in the US.

Sorry about the image size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online