New Member- Advice needed on 1st gen Montero engine.

gulfportrachel

I bought a 91 Montero and was told it needed a head gasket as a minimum. I did change the oil and coolant and drove it around the block to check it. The head gasket is blown and the engine smokes really bad. The body is in perfect condition and it drove fine for the 5 minutes it was running. When I bought it I assumed I was going to have to put an engine in it anyway. Options, would everyone suggest just a head gasket? Or would a used engine or a rebuilt engine be the way to go? Thanks, Rachel.

may i suggest a thorough engine exam to determine the health of the existing engine?
a comp test or leakdown test is mandatory.
oil sample if possible
all of that...
but if it were me, i would ,after the above checkout, use k-seal for 16 dollars and go like hell.

if the engine checks out and k seal works then roll
if the engine is marginal and k seal works, then roll.

if the body is truly great and u love everything bout the rig, take time to find/build another 3.0 and drive it like it is till that time.
that's my hillbilly fix to your situation..

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
3.0 is an easy engine to fix and not known for head issues (except when replaced incorrectly), i would do a tear down, clean and reseal. Very reliable motors. Alternatively, find a donor motor (Diamante if possible) and refresh that then swap it in.

RyanY

Adventurer
Unless the vehicle was driven extensively with coolant in the oil, the bottom end of the engine is very likely still in good shape. I'd get the heads surfaced and replace the head gaskets, making sure to use new head bolts (or convert to studs). The key then is to go through the cooling system - rod out the radiator, replace the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, and any hoses that are questionable - under the assumption that the blown head gasket was probably due to it being overheated. Go with OEM parts for the thermostat and cap, aftermarket stuff is notoriously unreliable and the risk is not worth the money you'll save.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman