New Member - Montero Build in progress

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
That's definitely a lot of draw. In fact a lot more than is built into the system from the factory.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

zwalcheff

I actually already upgraded the alternator to a 200 amp and have plans to add a second isolated battery circuit soon. So far no issues though with the lights, 2 amps, subwoofer, etc. When I use the winch I need to kick the idle up a bit. Also I usually don't use multiple things at the same time. When I use the led bar then I keep the stock headlights off, etc.

With that said, I do have a spare fully charged battery in the back of the truck just incase.!

Jay Ayala

Explorer
You know what would help with all of your electrical upgrades? A flux capacitor.

9bab363e1dd1cde24d7eaaf7da7dcaee.jpg

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

zwalcheff

I decided to paint my rims black after seeing another forum post with the idea. So far i have only painted one of them and i am very impressed with how it turned out. I sandblasted the rim lightly and then painted it with flat black textured paint. I really like the way the textured paint turned out as it matches my front bumper and some other trim i painted previously. Awesome $20 upgrade, just requires some time to do it right. I am planning on finishing up the other 4x rims on Sat (spare tire included).

black_rim.jpg

zwalcheff

I was doing some rock crawling the other evening after the sun set and got an idea for some rock lights. I had 2x lights laying around the house (left overs from my golf cart upgrades) so i went ahead and cleaned/painted them up and fabricated some brackets. They fit perfectly behind my front bumper and are tucked away nicely, the angle took a bit of time and testing to figure out what would work best. At this point they are all set and wired up and pointed down and out in front of the front tires. I haven't used them on anything serious yet, but they work fine and provide exactly what i was looking for (ability to see directly in front of my tires at night without a flashlight (or spotter with a flashlight).

I also think they look super cool at night as they light up the entire front suspension and tires and nicely complement the other lights i have. especially now that i have removed the stock front bumper and cut away all of the un-needed inner fender well metal on the front.

rock_lights.jpg

zwalcheff

My new KC Apollo Pro 6" H3 lights showed up yesterday so i got them mounted up on the front bumper's upper bar (above winch). They provide much more distance than my LED light bar and are DOT approved. My only concerns with them are the plastic housing and mount assembly as i can see them getting busted by a random branch or bush rather easily and there really isn't anyway to secure them to the truck so it would only take one bolt each to steal them (and they weren't cheap). I did use red locktight and they have some rather serious locking washers on them so it would take some effort at least to remove them (anyways i live in the mountains and very rarely take my Montero into town). Overall i am not sure if they were worth the extra money vs the cheaper off brands or not, but will see overtime i suppose.

kc_lights.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78