New Member/New Interest/New Mods/Same Toyota

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
Alright fellas, You've inspired me. I've been an ExPo lurker for quite some time. I've harvested countless great ideas and very much enjoyed many of the builds and ingenious engineering found within this community. Recent interest in longer range, more self sufficiency, and overall camping enjoyment have prompted me to base this years modification season (yes, every year about this time, my wheeler gets some love preparing for an annual family offroad camping trip) around adding some of the ExPo-esque features you guys so cleverly contain within your overlanders.

My rig is a bit different from what you guys go after. For the last decade, my interest has been focused around getting there without breaking down. I feel like I pretty much have that handled, my rig is pretty reliable, durable, and capable. The problem is, one time I took my wife and then only one daughter out we flopped.
Tipped Side.jpg
That didn't go over to well with the Missus. Or my little one that kept saying over and over that 'Daddys twuck fall down.."

So... After two years of refusing to get in the rig again, I've finally got them willing as I've got them convinced that the reason we flopped was due to our high center of gravity and that I have in fact got a solution figured out. Which begins the process of this years mod season. The lowering of my rig CG. As well as increasing the seating capacity from three to four and adding in the creature comforts that my rock crawler past has scoffed at. Heater...pffft. Heaters are for **************! As well as some of these nifty overlander trends like on board water and cooking abilities. Neat.

Now at first glance, I know your thoughts. Get rid of that cargo carrier on the top. Can't, three girls. Without being substituted with something else, like a rack, it isn't going away. Believe it or not, racks weigh more. We only pack the lightweight sleeping stuff up there. Its dustproof, holds a ton of stuff and handy as a leatherman. So it stays, until I build a trailer.

Everything else, therefore, must go lower. In the above pic, you'll notice two side mounted ice chests. Those are quite heavy and need to be moved to create the space needed for a bench seat back there for the ladies. I've decided to nix them in liew of an ARB fridge unit that will go behind that seat. If you look closely you'll see there is a tire there. My spare, which sits on top of a packrat roll out drawer toolbox, together weigh about 400 pounds. That stuff has to go to make room for the ARB. But I need it all, and more. In the posts to follow I'll show you what I've come up with, and hopefully, some of you overlanding gurus will have some insight to help me conquer some challenges that are sure to arise as I convert this dedicated rock crawler to an over-ANY-lander.

First project, move that spare.

Stay tuned...

Rab89

Observer
lol crazy project, I'd be buying a new tacoma double cab if you're hauling the family around all the time, but I guess it wouldn't go the places that thing will flop... oops, I mean go haha just kidding, this will be sweet!

p nut

butter
I'm interested to know what your current specs are. That thing looks awesome. Even sideways.

Clutch

<---Pass
What about tossing on a 4Runner body for the added seat and ability to close it up for the heater?

0308_4wd_01_z%2B1985_toyota_4runner%2Bfront_view.jpg

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
All good points fellas, thanks for chiming in. Actually looked at selling the Toy and building something more 4-seat-ish, like a Runner. In fact, almost bought one but instead got the Suburban, thinking that would be my ExPo project, and may still be just not as extreme as the Toy. Problem with the Burb is that is so damn clean, it'd be a shame to molest it, so I'm back on the Toyota as I just can't bring myself to sell it. You know how these things are, I've been grinding and welding on this one for almost 20 years. This rig is a part of me. So, I'm going to add in a few bits this year for extending my days out and making it more comfy for the ladies.

As for selling it and replacing it with a Dbl cab Tacoma.... please. I'd love to have one for a daily, but not for a serious off road platform, I just don't feel they are all that durable. Towed too many of them out. Actually spent a considerable amount of energy trying to import an early (79-83) hilux four door cab out of Australia before the Exo cage went on in about '99.

As for the specs on it. Its pretty hard to list, as its been a process over a very long time that continually evolves with every year. From memory here.. Bone Stock 22R with Marlin Crawler Double transfer cases. Curry Ent. Dana 44s I believe Im turning 4:88s but I'm not quite sure. Its been a long time since those went in. ARB Air lockers front and rear. Tires are 35" Swampers. Chevrolet / Rancho 44048 springs front and rear. Rancho shocks. All the usual crawler stuff, high steer, sliders, winch, ect. Rear half back began life as an AllPro flatbed kit. We doubled up the main bar and plated them together, added a few tubes here and there. The front bumper and sliders are AllPro units too that we tied together with the Exo that a friend and I worked on over a few years, my brother as well.

I made some good progress on the swing away tire setup last night. I'll post up some pics later.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
You sir need a first gen 4Runner... More passenger room (they really are just a standard cab P/U with no rear-bulkhead) and all the toughness of any Hilux out there. Plus you could Exo it and still be able to take the top on and off as needed. And again... they're early gen Hilux's... meaning they need more power but they're built like nothing else in their market segment. Just so long as you stick with a Toyota you can't go wrong. I'll be REALLY INTERSTED to see what you do...

Cheers

Dave

Just trying to get a handle on what you've got going......

Sounds like you already have the heater in, right? Seating for the missus and two girls, right?

What are your goals for trips with the fam? Day trips? Weekends? Longer......?

Also, just curious- how old are your girls? Mine are 2 and nearly 4...... makes for interesting (and short) trips.

Oh, and do you have a link to a build on your truck on another forum? I'd love to see a few other pics-

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
And so it begins..

4Rescue.. Like I mentioned, I thought of just building a Runner, but they end up pretty small and I'd be starting from scratch, and I love this rig so I can't part with it. I got a Suburban for closed door adventures.

OTBP.. No build thread, sorry. This one will have to do... Yes, stock heater is in, new seat is not. Should have it any day though..and my girls are 3 and 8.

So I got to the rear tire carrier built. I used a kit from EMS offroad. Pretty nice machine work for $100. Saved me a ton of time and head scratching.

tirecarrier_kit[1].jpg

It was a bit challenging to to get it incorporated with my cage but a little grinding on the tubes allowed me to set the post of the pivot into the tube and get it where I wanted it.

EMS_Pivot.jpg

I used 1-1/2"x4" .120 box steel for the main bar, and for the hoop that the tire attaches too, I re-purposed and old pre-runner style bed mount I had. No pic, but you can see it here:

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/FTT10002.html

I just cut off the mounting feet and the front post and welded that to the box tubing at the angle I was looking for. Worked alright, will definately need additional support though. I'm thinking af running a tube under the tire so the bulk of the weight is carried on that and the hoop just holds the tire in place. I'm working on that tube now...

Rear_Tire_Open.jpg

In the shot above you can also see the ARB chillin in it's new home. Remember the goal here is lowering the CG, so I set it as low as possible flush with the bottom of the frame rails. I used 3"x3" angle for the chassis. Overall, it will be less that half the weight of the dual ice chest setup and sits 7" (or 40%) lower centered inside the frame rails.

ARB_Mounted.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the new setup, but I'm not too into the De-Stacto clamp. I've ordered something different for that (a push button release pin) so while I'm waiting for that to finish up the tire carrier, I thought I'd mock up my chuck box idea that is mouning on the inside of the carrier.

Chuck_Mock.jpg

I have a few ideas going for this and spent a bit of time last night figuring all that needs to go into this thing. I want my whole camp kitchen setup in this one box, stove included. Not alot of space for all that, so I'm going to have to get creative.. Here's a shot all closed up. A bit tight, may have to reduce the depth and inch or so to give the ARB more room to breath..

Closed_Left.jpg

You can also see how the closure end of the swing away tire carrier is mounted in the above shot. The next pic shows the top view of it all closed up. Pretty tight. I'll be building a removable rack/table setup that will slide in on top of the ARB to hold the backpacks and teddybears. That will limit on-trail access to the fridge, but that isn't the end of the world, shouldn't be in and out of fridges on the trail anyway. Will have to use a small icechest for that.

Closed_Top.jpg

Next I'm hoping to get to mounting the seat that should be here any day. In the mean time, I'll keep tinkering with the chuck box.

Thanks for viewing.:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger