new member, samurai build

cadman

hello everyone, this is my first post, I love this site and the world of info that is here. I like the thought of overlanding, I backpack, and now I can that gear out of the attic and backpack out of the truck. I have a 04' landrover se7, but my daughter says no modi till she is done with it, so I bought a 87 samurai. I'm wanting to doc the build here, but I want & need all the input I can get. I'll post the build criteria, for ya'lls review, I live in arkansas. Jeff

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you here, Jeff. I'll be interested in everything you do. I own a '92 Samurai that's, for better or worse, too nice to do to much to. But even in stock form with some decent tires, you can do a lot. (Not to mention that you can tow it anywhere you want behind about anything.)

Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.

cadman

Thanks, You just said what my future plan for the truck is, to tow it behind a large expedition camper-truck.

cadman

chet, I'm on the field with that issue. I had a tin top a few years ago & did a SPOA. I like the look then, but I was running w/ rockcrawlers, then it was all about flex. I'm thinking 235 if SPUA, and 30" x 9.5 if SPOA. I've got to get tires on it now, so I'm planning on ordering some 215R7015 to run while I'm getting it roadable, an working out the suspension.

cadman

I want to give everyone a little background information about me, so maybe it will help everyone understand where I’m coming from. I’m a tool design, I work in a large machine shop, we have CNC mills and lathes, so why buy when you can build. I seat behind a computer and design 2d & 3d machines all day long, so when the design juices start, look out. I see great products out there, SHOCKROCK, and many others, but when I look at them I see improvements, or just, “I would have done it this way”. When I start a machine or tool design I set down an develop a list of requirement that the tool must meet. So here we go. The truck will need to be able to travel at 55 to 65 mph. This will allow me to travel two lane roads and if needed interstate, and not be the turtle in front of the big rigs. I want the ride to be comfortable, I know that is wanting a lot, but it is a long way to Big Bend, Moab, Death Valley from Arkansas. I will tow it, but that is not preferred, that’s later in its life. From the information I have read, this is not that hard to accomplish. But I’m all about the details; I typically have to know everything upfront before I start a design. So, you understand why I’m trying to see the finish product, while I’m cleaning the previous owner’s trash out from under the seats.

expoxj

Adventurer
Cad!! Oh makes sense now...Sooooo when you gonna design me a front winch bumper? J/k If your planning a trip to big bend or death valley I would recommend keeping/fixing/ refreshing the a/c. Also buy some good shocks don't go cheap... Monotubes will allow you to travel the desert at speed if wanted. Also a sammy is short and narrow, so body control is really important.

I'd say fab some shackles, throw on some ome shocks, and some tall and skinny's (less weight and work good in the desert) like 215/85/15s.

chet

island Explorer
sounds like a reasonable goal! I also work at a fab shop but mainly manual machines and lots of welders!

For ride quality I would look into a YJ spring swap. the sammy springs are a little short to get good ride quality out of. You can keep them spring under and gain an 1" or so lift.

the next best thing I have heard are the OME springs. Direct bolt on and with soft shocks have a much better ride than stock.

I had a shorty and switched to YJ's in spring over from stock spring over and the ride was WAY better! My LWB now has a custom YJ set-up in it

cadman

chet, I like what you’re saying. After doing some research, and seeing some pictures of trucks. I've decided to keep a SPUA. Mhiscox, I wish this truck was as clean as your, my tin top was super clean. The main thing about this truck is it is bone stock, straight body, and no rust. Here is the suspension I’m planning, OME springs, bone shackle, keeping in mind that if I need more flex I’ll add a missing link. 235 BFG all-terrain or mud-terrain is the tire I want to run. This is keeping with the design intent; build a good trail truck with modifications without losing dependability.

deepmud

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of SPOA, 31x10.5, and stage one gears in the tcase to get the highway rpms back and really improve the offroad manners. It does bring down the aerodynamics a bit, but it's just a really good 4x4 set up that way.

I did stuff 35's under mine w/3" springs, still SPUA, and went turbodiesel VW instead of gears :D 27mpg on mostly highway/65mph commute.

wrinklewall.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan