New member starting trailer project: Sears or David Bradley trailer, I believe

sseaman

Adventurer
It looks just like the Sears trailer I had for a while from the 50's. You are correct on the fenders and axle not being original, it also looks like the tongue has been changed. Mine had the original wood bows and canvas, the canvas was in rough shape but looked cool on it. I like the tent on top idea, very creative.

lilgription

Observer
Do you by chance know the dimensions of the trailer bed. I've pondered that very idea before but with the larger tent for full size trucks..... you've got my gears turning

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
It looks just like the Sears trailer I had for a while from the 50's. You are correct on the fenders and axle not being original, it also looks like the tongue has been changed. Mine had the original wood bows and canvas, the canvas was in rough shape but looked cool on it. I like the tent on top idea, very creative.
Very cool little trailers. The axle and tongue are actually original David Bradley; found some write-ups on them online. Interesting history.

Tent worked better than expected. If I don't go with a RTT I will do a few tweaks to make the tent fit even better. Tough to beat $100 for a trailer tent though.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Do you by chance know the dimensions of the trailer bed. I've pondered that very idea before but with the larger tent for full size trucks..... you've got my gears turning

The tub is almost exactly 4'x6', add a foot with tailgate dropped for 7'.

I wouldn't try to fit a larger tent to this trailer; just too much material to account for. I plan to add 2 removable planks down each side, that will slip into the rail pockets. This should give the added foot or so the tent needs to fit just as designed for a 6' truck bed.

lilgription

Observer
Thanks a bunch.. I am currently gathering parts for this winters build.I may build mine a touch longer and wider for a full size truck tent so I wont have to sleep so close to my brother LOL. I can throw my river boat in the bed and then throw the tent up when i get to my fishing spots.This is exactly what I had been looking for, biggest bang for the $$$ and i can use the trailer to haul mower and $mulch,etc. By the way I found a tent almost exactly like the Sportztent at Sportsmans Guide for a little over $100 new, same construction and materials the best I can remember. KEEP US POSTED...
The tub is almost exactly 4'x6', add a foot with tailgate dropped for 7'.

I wouldn't try to fit a larger tent to this trailer; just too much material to account for. I plan to add 2 removable planks down each side, that will slip into the rail pockets. This should give the added foot or so the tent needs to fit just as designed for a 6' truck bed.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Trailer took a little bit of a backseat to some Jeep stuff lately. But, got the bedlined wheels on. Much better than the old, faded Chevy rims.
aefddaeb-c681-b4ec.jpg

Went a little old school and added a PVC tarp bow. Well spent $7. Works nicely. Have decided not to go with a hard cover.
2011-12-30_14-13-27_942.jpg

2011-12-30_14-22-17_216.jpg

EWS

Observer
Like it. Nice and simple, a KISS trailer. Though think you may need more clearance on the mudguards/fenders, with those tyres fitted.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thanks. I need to keep it as a utility/camper. Going to be simple and light. Will add a 10 or 20 gallon water tank though.

It will get more clearance in the wheelwells. I need to do some rust repair on the side frame rails; adding boxed 2x2 or 2x3 rail under the original rails. At a 1500 lb load rating, the trailer doesn't drop even fully loaded for camping. :) Used it last Summer, as is.

biskit

Adventurer
Giving me some good ideas Bubb. i have a trailer about that size, needs a longer draw bar and a soft sprung suspension, and some wider/taller wheels. I'll keep watching.:Wow1:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I'm really enjoying this thread. I just picked up a David Bradley trailer myself but it's not In nearly as good of condition as yours. I'll be watching this thread for ideas. Btw my tires appear to be far too close to the trailer body to mount larger tires. Did you encounter this problem?

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thanks for the kind words. They are great, light weight trailers. But still very beefy.

I just posted mine for sale, but am really on the fence. Not sure I can ever replace it. Very unique.

The rims on it have approx 3" of backspacing, if I recall correctly. Tires are 12.5" wide. There is still an inch to 1 1/2" inch of clearance between tires and frame or leaf spring mounts. No issues so far.

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Man sorry to hear you are selling it. I would love to buy it if I was closer. Good luck with the sale though! Its a great trailer

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Why are you selling this? Man...it will be impossible to replace, especially with one in anywhere near that good of a condition.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998