New member! Subaru Outback- San Diego

Marc1904

Different
Hey Marc, I do a lot of wheeling in my Forester and live up in Oside. Next time you head out, drop me a message or something. I spent alot of time up in the mountains with my Forester and am not afraid to take it anywhere. Fish Creek Basin out near Ocotillo is pretty cool too.

PM sent... let's hit the road!

JAvendan

Observer
That's awesome!

I test drove a '12 outback 2.5 w/ a 6-speed manual the other night and it was great.

I had a '05 forester before my Osyssey now.

The Ody was a victim of a DUI driver 2 weeks ago. I was hoping it was totaled but that ain't going to happen :(

IF it does get totaled I'm getting that Outback and putting on some a Subtle 1" lift kit for a lil more clearance!!!

Enjoy the ride and hope to join you one day.

Joel

Marc1904

Different
weekend project: i would like a food/beverage cooling device in my vehicle, so i've been searching craigslist and ebay for a decent deal. i've read that thermoelectric stuff like coleman or koolatron don't cool too well, so i wanted an ARB or Norcold... ended up finding a Norcold V2000 12/120V freezer on craigslist. i made a silly offer of $40 and he took it! when i got to the meeting spot to purchase it, he told me that it worked on 120V but was not working on 12V... so he just gave it to me for free...

now i'm off to a buddy's place to see if we can get the 12V side working... and hopefully i'll have a cheap freezer! i guess if i can't get it to run, i'll just use a small inverter and let it cool on 120V.

FinsUp

Adventurer
Way cool. I have a 2011 Outback and love it. Took the better half, our three kids and a huge load of camping stuff on a 1500 mile trip last summer. Up to South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. Not a bit of trouble. I went and took the kids on some light wheeling Sunday just cruising some trails.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
<Begin David Attenborough Voice>
And here we see the wild Subaru in it's natural habitat. Simply beautiful.
<End David Attenborough Voice>
IMG_2374.JPG

Marc1904

Different
Updates!

So it's been a while since I've updated this, but there have been some changes on the Subaru...

Since my original post, things that have changed:

-JAOS aluminum roof rack
-4ft x 1.5in waffle boards
-2in lift via King Springs and Primitive strut spacers
-Skid plates (engine, transmission, rear diff)

The next couple weeks I'll be re-working the rear because it sits at full droop. The 3/4" spacer in the rear will be swapped with a 1/4" spacer and the subframe will be lowered (aka body lift) about 1/2". This should also fix the problem of the rear wheels being too close to the front of the wheel well.
I'll post some more updated pictures later, but this is what it looks like at the moment. :)

waffle.jpg

Marc1904

Different
Looks great! I love the new body style on the Outbacks.

I like them too... but I usually like them a little less each time I see things like your sig!!! low range and limited diffs are pretty much out of the question for me... lame. But I was thinking that since the tranny is a CVT, why couldn't Subaru just make a really low simulated first gear? I guess I don't understand the inner workings of a CVT to know.

p nut

butter
Any updates? Run into any issues with the Outback? Considering a '12/13 for DD/light trails. Would be nice to get double the mileage from current ride.

Marc1904

Different
Any updates? Run into any issues with the Outback? Considering a '12/13 for DD/light trails. Would be nice to get double the mileage from current ride.

A little... I pulled the springs because they were just too stiff and the suspension was locked up. Ended up with a 3/4" front spacer, 1" rear spacer and stock springs. Haven't gotten the body lift kit and don't know if I will. Found out through this that the rear camber is NOT adjustable at all, so with any lift there is positive camber. Even with the mild 1" lift in the rear I still see the tires wearing very unevenly. It handles pretty well on trails though. I've been stuck several times, but got un-stuck pretty easily with some decent recovery gear. Overall it's an awesome car for DD and easy-moderate trail use. The Subaru claim to "if one wheel has traction the car will move" is totally false though... so don't expect too much.
The only other real "negative" is the approach and departure angles, which are AWFUL! I've slammed the front end down pretty hard many times and if I didn't have a trailer hitch in the rear acting as a tube bumper the spare tire well under the rear would be destroyed by now.

I'm guessing I might do that 2" body lift though... would be nice to get the rear up without the camber problem.

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
Great thread! I bought an outback in early May and have loved it. I have a Sorento that is decked out with everything and love it also however with the lift and the Roof Top Tent it is starting to get old. I bought the outback for my work car and drive it everyday. In the last three months I have put over 6,000 miles on it and love it. I am also considering going with the outback for our family overlanding rig. We have not got out much the last couple years because of our two year old but this year we have found our selves on several day hikes and I find myself wanting to drive the Outback over the Sorento. I have seen the skid plates online are they the Primitive company ones? I am interested in these big time. In the last couple days I have even contemplated selling the Roof Top Tent in favor of just sleeping in the back of the outback. I am really impressed with this car. I would love to know if the tires messed with your mileage at all as I know the tires are soft.

If you are looking for something to keep things cool spend the money for the fridge, I have had mine for six years and it works awesome! I love it! No problems and it takes hardly any power. I highly recommend it! I bought mine from Will at Sierra Expeditions.

Here are a couple pictures of my outback, one thing I recommend is the factory power inverter that goes between the seats. I used it on my last road trip and it was nice and clean. Its just nice to have the power there with out the bulky box of a converter.

Glad to see another outback going off the beaten path!

PS I have been following your thread on the Outback forum also! Awesome!

Attachments

• 100_3906.jpg
    100_3906.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_3938.jpg
    100_3938.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_2022.jpg
    100_2022.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 10

Marc1904

Different
Nice Outback!
I did get all 3 skid plates from Primitive... I think that they're the only ones making them right now in the US. My front and rear skids are crushed. The rear is pressed in to the diff and the front has been bent up a few times, once actually a couple millimeters from the exhaust which caused a horrible rattling sound... and they are by no means easy to hammer back in to place! It seems the only negative of the front plate is that it only has one rear mounting point in the middle, so the sides get pushed up when you land on terrain.

Even with this, they're still a great thing to have. I'm pretty sure I would have gone through a couple oil pans and a rear diff case or two without em!

Have you mounted the RTT on your Outback? curious about using the factory rack for a RTT...

JAvendan

Observer
newfoundfreedom,

did you install the factory power inverter or did you get the outback with it at purchase?

i was looking into that as well.

i have a '12 premium w 6-speed manual.

[back to the thread!] :)

[edit] yes, and pics w the outback with the RTT!!!

joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger