New member with a montero

ultrakill

Adventurer
thank you... hows that ome suspension. planning on getting a new suspension for mine.

I think this question was to someone else, but I have OME rear coil springs. Man those things are awesome, love it. The coil springs in back gave ~1" lift, possibly 1.25", and in the front I just cranked the torsion bars which gave me about 1" lift as well. I have Sky Jacker Nitro shocks all around, which are nice and stiff, maybe too stiff, but I like them.

With all of these, 33s will now fit easily and I am looking forward to wearing down my tires so I can buy new ones. I am in the process of adding Aussie Locker in front diff. Then after that is done, I don't think I need to mod anything else for a while.

In a year, maybe I'll add rock rails and a snorkel, and possibly swap in a locking-rear axle from Gen 2, but for now I think I'm good.

fury311

Observer
I think this question was to someone else, but I have OME rear coil springs. Man those things are awesome, love it. The coil springs in back gave ~1" lift, possibly 1.25", and in the front I just cranked the torsion bars which gave me about 1" lift as well. I have Sky Jacker Nitro shocks all around, which are nice and stiff, maybe too stiff, but I like them.

With all of these, 33s will now fit easily and I am looking forward to wearing down my tires so I can buy new ones. I am in the process of adding Aussie Locker in front diff. Then after that is done, I don't think I need to mod anything else for a while.

In a year, maybe I'll add rock rails and a snorkel, and possibly swap in a locking-rear axle from Gen 2, but for now I think I'm good.

awesome! i'll probably get those coils... ive seen so many coils that will give you 2-3" lift and thats what i want but they are only for sell in europe.. so ill stick with the ome
and hopefully i can still keep my 33s (i have spacers now...dont seem prety safe)

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
You should be able to fit 33's with Old man emu rear coil upgrade. I have full OME(shocks, coils, and torsion bars(cranked))on my montero sport. The sports have much smaller wheel wells so I had to do OME to fit 33s. I currently have 31s Goodyear duratracs and have the space for 33s. I have been told the Gen 2 monteros can fit 33s without any lift though, is that right? The Sport is quite different though, I barely stuffed 31s on it before i put the lift on, they didn't rub, but it was a tight fit. :/ I have heard good things from Montero friends who use Lovells spring and the OME nitro charger shocks. I only have used ome though, they are both Australian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrakill

Adventurer
You should be able to fit 33's with Old man emu rear coil upgrade. I have full OME(shocks, coils, and torsion bars(cranked))on my montero sport. The sports have much smaller wheel wells so I had to do OME to fit 33s. I currently have 31s Goodyear duratracs and have the space for 33s. I have been told the Gen 2 monteros can fit 33s without any lift though, is that right? The Sport is quite different though, I barely stuffed 31s on it before i put the lift on, they didn't rub, but it was a tight fit. :/ I have heard good things from Montero friends who use Lovells spring and the OME nitro charger shocks. I only have used ome though, they are both Australian

I have seen numerous posts from this forum and other forums stating that a Gen 1/2/2.5 stock LWB Montero can fit 33s with no lift. I would have been skeptical with my 25 yr old worn out springs, they sagged quite a bit.

The OME springs made a huge difference and not do not sag really at all, even with cargo in the back. If you want 35s then you would have to go for a 2" body lift, but for 33s, many people have run with my setup and sometimes stock. Just type montero 33s on google images you will see how much clearance there is on a stock setup,but I wanted more articulation.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
hows that ome suspension. planning on getting a new suspension for mine.

As others have stated, the OME coils work very well. I went with the HD (constant load) springs all around.
They do ride a bit stiff without around 200lbs in the rear. With a stout front bumper and a winch the front should ride fine at all times.
The suspension rides great when fully laden for the backcountry, even on high speed desert trails.
No complaints at all.

fury311

Observer

i used to have my montero with 33's with no lift at all. but there was not much space for wheel to travel (offroad) so hopefully the ome will give me some more clearance and
a better ride than stock coils and spacers.

fury311

Observer
As others have stated, the OME coils work very well. I went with the HD (constant load) springs all around.
They do ride a bit stiff without around 200lbs in the rear. With a stout front bumper and a winch the front should ride fine at all times.
The suspension rides great when fully laden for the backcountry, even on high speed desert trails.
No complaints at all.

do you recomend regular coils or heavy duty? theya re the same price so dont know what to get. i want something stiff since im removing sway bars
for ever.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
do you recomend regular coils or heavy duty? theya re the same price so dont know what to get. i want something stiff since im removing sway bars
for ever.

I would recommend the HD suspension for anyone that uses their rig fully laden for expedition style travel.
The stiffer ride will surely help if the sway bars are eliminated.

fury311

Observer
I would recommend the HD suspension for anyone that uses their rig fully laden for expedition style travel.
The stiffer ride will surely help if the sway bars are eliminated.

thanks a lot! i'll ask my girl to get me those for my bday haha!

miloe79

Observer
Your Montero looks pretty beefy!! What's the brand name of your bumper guard? I'd like to get me something like that for my Monty.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78