New Mexico Landies

Sleam

Explorer
ANyone out there want to get together in February in Madrid, NM? I'm thinking of setting up a local rover meet and greet, starting noon at the local tavern to warm up with something hot and then take a couple of hours driving and exploring the back roads in the area, all dirt, dating back to the mining days of long ago. Mostly the roads are gravel, not maintained, some rougher than others but nothing technical that I know of - yet. I'd like to explore with someone who's more experienced before setting it up but it'd be a fun day out. Gas is 15 miles away, BnB's in Madrid, or camping on my land near by. Any one interested in bringing your Landie to Madrid, NM?
You can find us on fb under New Mexico Landies. Thanks.

Wild dog road.jpg

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Working on getting the wife a RR and if we do we would like to go as well! Maybe I can talk you into allowing my best friend to join us in his Jeep 😳

Sleam

Explorer
That sounds great. I'm getting advice from Frenchie about how to put it together. The area around Madrid is full of history from the 1800 mining days and we'd take the dirt roads to various sites, old mines (closed in though), the cemetery that shows how families lived and died in the mining town. I'd probably get us a group tour of the museum. There are steep inclines, much easy flat gravel, some high 4 and some low 4 but I'm not adventurous enough to push myself alone but with a more experienced leader, then maybe! People can either camp (COLD!) at mine or stay in BnBs in Madrid. That's the plan so far, less technical more of a social event this time to see who is around. Let me know what you think!

axels

Adventurer
Sent a request to the Facebook group and no answer so far. Could you check into that.
I'm thinking about heading to Madrid for a couple hours, see what these backroads are all about.

Sleam

Explorer
Shall do! When you get to near Madrid, on Hwy 14, turn on Wild Dog Road, follow that half a mile, and head down into the valley, steep incline, good for half mile then slow and rocky. Have fun! Let me know what you think, okay?

Sleam

Explorer
Since I have a 4Runner (95) too I can't say no to the Jeeps coming along. Ideally, more of us in our Landies and the others, well, you know! They're welcome too! It seems like this gathering will happen mid-Feb which could be cold, for me without a heater core that is. There are four Bnb's in Madrid, I rent out a schoolbus on Airbnb.com aswell as camping for the tougher folks. I've roughed out a two day plan with three shorter trips from here, meet Saturday at noon and head out for the afternoon then come back to mine for camping and chatting around a campfire. Second day off the beaten track to some rougher roads and end up at the Galisteo dam (no water!). Brunch at the Hollar in Madrid, more driving and photo opportunities, stay over another night if you like! Axel and Frenchie might come up and explore with me before hand to set up routes in more detail, check on conditions but I think we have it covered. A social, not too taxing high 4 drive on dirt roads. Cost for museum in Madrid, this is an old mining community with a unique and interesting story to tell. Lunches, drinks and BnB. That's all!

Sleam

Explorer
Sent a request to the Facebook group and no answer so far. Could you check into that.
I'm thinking about heading to Madrid for a couple hours, see what these backroads are all about.

Great to meet you and slide down Old Windmill Trail! Hope you had fun, stay in touch and I'll make sure i have time free. See you soon!

axels

Adventurer
Great to meet you and slide down Old Windmill Trail! Hope you had fun, stay in touch and I'll make sure i have time free. See you soon!

It was a pleasure meeting you, I alsmot died a few times (literally) and there was really no option to turn around. But however scary it was, it was fun. Fairly easy trail when dry I imagine. Almost unmanageable when rainy and muddy like today. That gap in the earth almost swallowed me a few times. Turns out it's impossible to stop 6,000lbs on this slippery terrain even when only going 3mph. Definitely needed the 4 low.
Can't wait for next run.
Before almost dying ;)
image.jpg
The road to hell, just before a never ending path of really slippery mud.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online