New military surplass Pelican-Hardigg cases

mandm1516

Cruising around www.govliquidations.com I found these boxes and would like some opinions about them, and if they're awesome tip you off if you're looking for some (hopefully we won't end up bidding against each other). I'm new to the expedition world and still trying to figure everything out so would appreciate any opinions.

They're beefy, have a lock, and look like they're waterproof, sold in lots of 3. Starting bid is $150 for all 3, auction ends today and there are a bunch of them without bids so far.

The description says: 3 ea, Survival Kit Container, Length: 19 in., Width: 19 in., Depth: 17.3 in., Empty Weight of 21 lbs, Air/Water Tight Unknown, Appears New.

Here's a couple pics:
govbox1.jpg
govbox.jpg

Mike Hawkins

Eventhough

Explorer
Those look pretty beefy - maybe too beefy. At 21 lbs each they could get real heavy real quick when you load 'em full of gear.

ktrout01

Pelican cases are great rugged cases. I have several that I use. I had two on a receiver hitch rack coast to coast and not a drop of water or bit of road grime got inside. Three of the 1650 cases fit on my roof rack perfectly. I just need to be aware how much weight I put in them.

The military uses them for their strength and doesn't really care how much they weigh. There's also quite a bit of wasted space due to the reinforcement ribbing and hardware. I love them but they have their limitations.

If you are going to buy them, used is the only way to go. New case prices are way too much. Also Pelican will gladly send you repair parts for latches, wheels, handles if not for free then very cheaply.

Ryan_S

Observer
How do those auctions work? It seems that everything on there is listed at $150, is there a minimum or reserve somewhere?

Those cases have an actual value estimated at $1,306.62 :Wow1:

susswein

Observer
More of them on auction now in various sizes - anyone interested in a group buy?

There's a bunch more of these cases available right now on the govliquidation site, in a number of different sizes. The 32x18x12" size looks pretty useful to me. They're selling these in lots of of around 20, with a starting bid of $150/lot. The auctions end December 28th. Anybody else interested in these? Maybe go in together on a group buy?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've got a fleet of Hardigg cases and absolutely love them. I occasionally use them for packing for trips but used them regularly for trade shows for my company. I can put 100+ lbs into them and they don't flex, budge, etc. A few different locals have bought trailer loads of them at auction and then offered them up for the local 4x4 members.

mandm1516, I can't see the actual auction your linking too... are these at Hill AFB?

be aware and read the fine print. on gov liquidation you need to pay attention to where the lot is located and how they will let you pick it up. you could end up getting real nice stuff real cheap then have to pay a ton of $$$ to get shipping and pickup if your not able to do it yourself.

Yeah see, you must remove them (or arrange for a shipper to do so) within 10 business, must make an apt,. cannot pick up on weekends, etc.etc. Make sure you click on all those tabs at the bottom and read them. that's where all the fine print is.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have a bigger Pelican case and love it. I got it at a amry surplus place a little wasy from here. I see them on the government liquidations site but I don't want to buy 7 pallets of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998