New Modified Teardrop Concept, Max Storage with Slide-Out

bob

Adventurer
I will say it normally comes out costing more than most think. But you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I would say that mine is far more intricate than the microcamper and I built mine in a little over a month. That included locating parts, desgin and build.

Your design is great. And like Pat said if I can help in any way let me know.

microcampers

MicroCampers
I will say it normally comes out costing more than most think. But you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I would say that mine is far more intricate than the microcamper and I built mine in a little over a month. That included locating parts, desgin and buld
Yeah you have 30 yrs experience building trailers and have contacts and access to sourcing so a month for you is 6 months to a novice guy and not sure about intricate but at 2k lbs and $17.5k cost vs $7k and 1400 lbs is a very different target audience plus your target customer base has a thing against roads for travelling and I'm going more for the common guy who can't afford a 30k tow vehicle or 20k trailer.

Bob I just kind of blew through your thread but I saw you were wanting to reduce weight and go with insulation. On yours to sell any in Texas you can't forgo the AC with around 80 days of over 100 temps here this past summer so that option needs to be definitely there. Glue in the industrial type is your answer to going to insulation in your walls and not worrying about your walls breaking down or delaminating with the torsions on your trailer and staying light. You will need insulation in this heat here in Texas or any desert environments plus if on a winter outing and get caught in some crazy low temps there would be that much more protection.

It is a very nice trailer indeed you build and well thought out.

The forum I was talking about for your skin and structure information is T&TTT Forum and all the guys that are regulars there are very willing to answer questions.

bob

Adventurer
You hit the nail square on the head.

This is an off road forum. Most are building trailers for serious off road use. IE, crawling over 2 to 4 foot bolders, deep water crossing and traversing ravines with steep climbs and severe drops. The cost of trailers being capable of these things is different than a trailer designed for the road. Most of us build with a lot of overkill involved, as breaking down where we drag these things is not a call to Triple A.

I would think your design would go well with the road tear drops. One of the main ones is www.tearjerkers.com. It is a huge organization and has get togethers all over the country and pretty much year around.

I wish you luck with your adventure, and I totally agree with you, building something different from eveyone eles's is fun, that is why I told the OP go for it and have a ball.

loren85022

Explorer
Build one and enjoy the challenges. You'll have a new appreciation for why an AT trailer costs $10k++ and performs so well. But I wouldn't trade my DIY for any factory built model. She has too many stories.

bob

Adventurer
that is correct, I have it as a favorite so never type it in any more. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Piet

Adventurer
Have you thought of having a closet fold down from the ceiling and drop into place on top to the counter on the rear?
This gets you a panel covering the rear of the trailer... and a clothes closet.

The Kimberly Karavan is my inspiration...

86JP-CJ7

Wow this post got a bit off topic for a while. :Wow1:

This trailer is going to be built. I have purchased the additional welding equipment to do aluminum, as well as a 48" metal brake, bead roller, shrinker stretcher, 20 ton press with HD brake, larger clamps, and upgraded my tube bender to hydraulic. I have also bought the fridge, fuel tank, lightweight propane tanks, and a few other odds and ends when I find them on sale. With the exception of the slide, I will be custom fabricating most of the trailer. I have come up with a better frame design to reduce the length by almost 2' without compromising space. Cash flow and creativity are not a problem. Finding time to start it (once I start it, it's on!) and the fact that my computer crashed two weeks ago and I may have lost my designs and product bookmarks will set me back.

Once I get started, I will begin a new thread and add a link here.

microcampers

MicroCampers
Finding time to start it (once I start it, it's on!) and the fact that my computer crashed two weeks ago and I may have lost my designs and product bookmarks will set me back.
Hey I came from tech and the best chance for data recovery is to buy a usb to IDE/sata adapter and hook the hard drive to another system up and running and see if you can get to where the designs are stored and copy the profile folder to another drive and recover your bookmarks and such as well since all that goes into the same places depending on your version of windows you have installed.

Blue Ghost

I know i'm a newbie here, but I wouldn't put the propane in the trailer. They should be outside, and the one's that are in a compartment are separate from the living quarters, and vented outside. The tanks are made to release pressure if the temp gets higher... just my .02, but I do love the design, awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior