New Northstar TC650 and 2013 Toyota Tundra

Tatted

Adventurer
some pics of our latest adventures...left the camper at home, it was hit with baseball size hail and waiting to get into shop, hail went al the way through the roof. we went from Northern Colorado to Ouray to Grand Canyon to Zion to Las vegas to Zion again then Bryce Canyon to Moab with side roads along the way, we were gone 10 days total.
packed up and ready
IMG_2671.jpg
coming into Telluride
IMG_2683.jpg
Black Bear pass
IMG_2687.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg
going up backside of Black Bear
IMG_2689.jpg
camp for the night
IMG_2690.jpg
above Ouray
IMG_2691.jpg
Red Mountain pass
IMG_2701.jpg
another mine
IMG_2703.jpg
poser shot
IMG_2706.jpg

Last edited:

Tatted

Adventurer
Yankee Girl mine
IMG_2707.jpg
dropping into a hole
IMG_2715.jpg
awesome scenery
IMG_2718.jpg
cliff dwellings by four corners
IMG_2722.jpg
sunrise at Grand Canyon
IMG_2743.jpg
old Wells Fargo bank in Utah
IMG_2811.jpg
Utah exploring
IMG_2819.jpg
Zion shot
IMG_2827.jpg
Las Vegas
IMG_2838.jpg
more coming soon

Tatted

Adventurer
So far I have not. I have it move a lot but never hit the truck. Have been thinking of using straps lately.

Tatted

Adventurer
little expo rig in Vegas
IMG_3195.jpg
restored ghost town by Zion
IMG_3444.jpg
through the Valley of fire
IMG_3228.jpg
tunnel at Zion
IMG_3452.jpg
Bryce Canyon
IMG_3458.jpg
IMG_3464.jpg
IMG_3466.jpg
old Drive inn in a campground we drove by on the way to Moab
IMG_3468.jpg
IMG_3469.jpg
looking for a ghost town in the middle of nowhere
IMG_3493.jpg

Tatted

Adventurer
assuming the road has washed out a few times haha
IMG_3494.jpg
finally in Moab...a night off from unloading the truck
IMG_3495.jpg
i think they were out of gas
IMG_4338.JPG
onion creek
IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4346.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG
from here a straight shot home

Tatted

Adventurer
Haha. I agree. I pick it up from the shop today with a new roof on it. I have missed it. I will post pics of our reunion with it today haha. Will be back in the mountains this weekend again. How is your rig and adventures going?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Got any pictures of the hail damage? I've got some dents in the roof of my TS1000 which I think came from hail but I never imagined it could destroy the roof.

Tatted

Adventurer
image.jpg
image.jpg
There is another one by the vent I don't have a pic of. That's the one that broke through, another example of the need for a fiberglass roof. The quality of the replacement roof from Northstar sucks. Very disappointed.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wow. I never expected that hail could cause that much damage. I'm not crazy about the seamed design of my original roof (from 1994) but I have taped over all the seams with rubber and am tolerating it now since it is watertight. Is your replacement the same as the original or worse? I don't have a good sense of what an ideal roof is.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Have you had the truck weighed with the Northstar?
I'm wondering what the axle weights are separately.
That was a heck of a piece of hail.

zidaro

Explorer
There is another one by the vent I don't have a pic of. That's the one that broke through, another example of the need for a fiberglass roof.

Damn! thats scary. I let snow load on mine all the time, i walk on it regularly(to shovel it off). Never had an issue- yet. Love the aluminum cap style and have seen many a 4WC roofs fail/collapse up here. Bummed to hear your story is different.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've never walked on mine. Didn't think it was strong enough. Previous owner must have hit a low hanging branch as the roof has a long dragging dent about 1" deep down the center. Didn't pierce the aluminum but leaked at the joints. I filled it with epoxy and all is well.

Tatted

Adventurer
image.jpg
Ready to head out, we have to take it back. The tent material is loose. Spent 2 hours cleaning dirt out of it and hand prints all over the ceiling.we have had no leaks on this camper. If I was to talk to Northstar I beleive. 1 piece fiberglass roof like Hallmark is the way to go. Northstar told me the only support on the roof is 3" on each side the length of the roof. But don't get me wrong. We love this camper. Frustrated with the shop right now. For the question of weighing it. I have not. We have had the camper on my dads one ton short bed.still has sway to it as well. I love this combination and my Tundra. I wouldn't think of putting anything else with this camper. Toyota has over built these trucks and it has handled all of the crazy stuff we have thrown at it. My driveline and breaks are larger than my dads one ton and after meeting Toyota engineers at FJ fest I have full confidence in our truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior