new project brainstorming

hey toy guys
i am a teenager, and want to start planning my first build. I have my grandpas old '92 pickup with lockers. it also has a new 2.7 4 banger, a camper shell, 30x9 bfg mud terrains, and a 5 speed manual. I want it to just be a good trail rig, and i want to I have a 3-4 inch lift i mind, maybe 35x10s, plus i want to wheel the rubicon so maybe a new gas tank. I need ideas, so if yyou have a similar year toy, send pics!:).

captjohn

First of all, congratulations on your new truck, it sounds like a good one!

Second, as you have described it, your vehicle will already take you to 99% of the places of the places that you could go (depending on your location) which is great. However because you said you are a teenager I would assume this is your daily driver. So, I would advise against the 35s because you would take a large hit in MPGs and you would have to regear and buy new lockers. Think a lot more money on top of the cost of your wheels and tires and lift. If I were you, I would just wait a while and drive it how it is, to get a feel for what you actually NEED; you will be amazed at where that truck will take you. Post a few pics of the truck on this thread, as I would love to see it.

Assuming that you don't have these already, I would recommend you buy a set of traction ladders (Maxtrax is a good brand), A kinetic recovery rope, Hi-Lift-Jack, High Quality come-along, and some first aid and survival essentials. Also, more important than the tools themselves, is the knowledge of how to use them. Make sure you are competent with the use of all of your tools, and proper recovery techniques before you leave the pavement, as it will save you a lot of headache down the road.

Best of luck with your future offroad adventures!

If you completely disregard my previous advice I would highly recommend that you head on over to pirate4x4 forums as they have more experience with extreme modifications and "trail rigs." Also, If you are looking to drive on very extreme trails with a five speed, I would advise you to either grow a third leg, or to add a hand throttle to your shifter.

Welcome!

It's a '92 with a 2.7 3RZ? So your grandpa either did some work on it or it's actually a 2.4 22RE. The reason I bring that up is horsepower. 22RE's can't handle a lot of weight or big tires when going down the road, but the 3RZ (out of a Tacoma) has almost double the HP of the 22RE meaning you can run a bigger tire and more weight.

Honestly, if you want to run the Rubicon, you're going to want to solid axle it. Trail Gear makes a pretty good kit for not much money. You're also going to need either dual transfer cases or a 4.7 gearset in your existing case. Diff gears should be swapped to 5.29's. And surprisingly, you don't NEED lockers. I'd rather have gears and no lockers versus lockers and stock gears.

After these three basic mods, your truck will still be drivable on the street. And depending on how it's put together, it will still be fun to drive.

Here's a list of DONT'S for your build:
Don't run any kind of wheel spacers on the front axle
Don't run a wheel with a heavy offset
Don't go too wide or too tall with your tires
Don't install any amount of body lift

Good luck!

Paddy

Adventurer
All very good advice. I'd stick with 32's unless youwant to regear, which is expensive. Maybe a 5th matching wheel and tire, and a mount for it somewhere other than under the back, and then use that space for an extra fuel cell. There! I just spent 2000$ of your money for you!

If you are looking to drive on very extreme trails with a five speed, I would advise you to either grow a third leg, or to add a hand throttle to your shifter.

If the OP installs gears in his diffs and/or t-case, clutching is not a problem. So a hand throttle would be unnecessary.

We should give the kid props for coming here for help. Those guys over at Pirate would most likely start him off on the wrong foot.

tonkaman

Adventurer
You will be shocked at how easily your truck handles the trail compared to your buddies rigs. That's why we love these toyotas so much, they really don't need much modification

Clutch

<---Pass
hey toy guys
i am a teenager, and want to start planning my first build. I have my grandpas old '92 pickup with lockers. it also has a new 2.7 4 banger, a camper shell, 30x9 bfg mud terrains, and a 5 speed manual. I want it to just be a good trail rig, and i want to I have a 3-4 inch lift i mind, maybe 35x10s, plus i want to wheel the rubicon so maybe a new gas tank. I need ideas, so if yyou have a similar year toy, send pics!:).

Here is some inspiration. If you want a trail rig, consider a solid axle swap and a Marlin Transfercase. Nothing wrong with modifying...good to start building your fabrications skills at a young age. Does grandpa or dad have a welder? Knowing how to weld is great skill to have both in the shop and out on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78