New Project - need direction

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
OK so my plans have changed a lot since I've last posted here. I was going to build my daily driver Jeep, but the opportunity came up to adopt a 1997 XJ with about 200,000 miles for free.

The bad:

It's been sitting for 7 months or so. Obviously it doesn't start, but ran perfect when put in the garage. They didn't drive it because when you put it in to 1st gear, it would stall and die. I have yet to verify this. :Mechanic:

The good:

It has 4x4. It's in GREAT shape and looks to be fixable. The engine is the same as my 1996 4.0 HO 6-cyl.

Questions:

1. What do I do first? Change out the fluids (fuel of course), but are the others necessary if it's only been sitting for 7 months?

2. Should I get it running before changing fluids? (I think I'd just have to charge the battery and give it a go...)

3. Where would you start in getting this thing back in shape BEFORE doing add-ons.

oh yea...it's PURPLE!:ylsmoke:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
The first thing to figure out is what do you have and don't have. Spark, Fuel, and Combustion are the 3 things required. Put a battery in it and see what happens.

ExpoMike

You didn't say if it was an auto or manual. If it's a manual, and just putting it into first gear (without letting the clutch out) and it stalls, it may be a very worn clutch that is not releasing fully and putting enough drag to stall it.

I would check the fuilds and if they are not completely dirty (like black oil, burnt smelling auto tranny fluid), I would put a battery in and some fresh gas and see if it starts. Once you know it runs, the go through all the fuilds and don't forget about the brake fluid. It's the one most people really negilect and brake fluid assorbs water quickly.

Once you get it up on fuilds and have figured out the dying problem, make a plan on what you want to do (daily driver, weekend toy, etc.) and then plan your mods/upgrades from there. If you are going for a DD and want to keep it stock, buy stock replacement type steering/suspension parts (tie rods, ball joints, etc.) and get it into a great running rig. If you want to lift it, then look at these same parts but think about getting aftermarket ones that are better then stock. Might as well do it once.

Biggest thing is to get a plan together and follow it. Oh, and posting pics so we can see it. I know my wife would have loved us getting a purple one. :D

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
7 months for gas to be sitting around is really no big deal. I wouldn't bother changing it, particularly in your climate. As stated above, do the eyeball/sniff test on the rest of the fluids and replace if necessary. Our tractor engines can tolerate a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior