New project: The White Buffalo (Chevy Express AWD)

zuren

Adventurer
I have alluded to it in other threads so here is my formal build thread for my new-to-me full-size Chevy Express. The name comes from my hunting buddy who is also a Ted Nugent fan:

Vanside.jpg

My family always had a full-size van when I was growing up. I have wanted a 2nd "project" vehicle for camping, hunting, fishing, etc. for a while now as some of my trips really put a beating on my station wagon. After mulling over trucks, Jeeps, SUVs and drooling over SMBs, I decided to go back to my roots!

Here is what I know about it:
  • 5.3L Vortex V8
  • 4L60e automatic
  • 120,xxx mi. at purchase
  • 1 owner (insurance company fleet van) and appears to have been dealer maintained
  • Full-time All-wheel drive
  • Rear diff. locker (G80)
  • Custom cargo interior
  • Dual climate controls
  • Dual cargo doors on both sides of van body
  • Full body windows

I picked it up for $8000. First order of business was removing the desk and chair. The chair is going to go live in my buddy's hunting blind and I took a circular saw to the desk to create 2 drawer units in my garage:

Vaninterior2.jpg

I have since built a small platform to sleep on that used the steel brackets on the floor. The 2nd order of business was general maintenance, wheels, and tires:

Van.jpg

A tie rod end was replaced prior to alignment and I'm in the process of swapping everything out for Mobil 1 synthetics. The running gear is Firestone Destination A/T tires (265/70-16) on ~2004 Chevy Silverado 16" rims (used from junk yard; I give dwalt credit for the idea). The Firestones got good reviews and should be a good balance of on-pavement manners with some off-pavement ability. It will see it's first major road trip starting Friday - 2500 mi. round-trip for hunting and holidays in MI.

Planned additions:
  • Rear diff. cover w/ fill and drain plugs; LubeLocker gasket (OEM cover is leaking with no fill/drain) - hope to install this week
  • Headlight upgrade
  • Auxillary lighting front and rear
  • Sofa bed
  • Lift-out kitchen unit (Westy style)

I want to keep the interior light and utilitarian. I've been researching some of the lift-out kitchen units sold in Europe for camper vans and something like that would be perfect for me.

I'll add more pics as time allows....

I have attempted to level out the front end using the torsion key bolts and have achieved nothing. I have "orange" coded torsion bars which suspension companies state won't give you any lift if you swap out the keys. I'm still researching this.

I'm also looking into a mild 4WD conversion like the Chevy Astro guys (swap out AWD transfer case for selectable). It looks like it is possible by swapping a t-case from a manual shift Silverado, install a new front driveshaft, and fabricate a way to shift. I'm not looking for the capability of a Quigley or SMB just yet.

Anyway, this should keep me busy and empty my bank account for the winter!

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Very nice. Nice price, too. I keep coming back to something like this for our family of 5. I think I could probably add a westy-style top for one sleeping area, and then use a dinette/and or a rear bench type setup for the second sleeping area, with very minimal facilites like on-board water, DVD player/small flatscreen, wash basin, and storage, storage, storage.

We like cooking outdoors, so I'd probably have setup that worked off a fold out table on one of the swing out doors, or the maybe the rear area....

See what you started? haha! :D

-Brian

zuren

Adventurer
Very nice. Nice price, too. I keep coming back to something like this for our family of 5. I think I could probably add a westy-style top for one sleeping area, and then use a dinette/and or a rear bench type setup for the second sleeping area, with very minimal facilites like on-board water, DVD player/small flatscreen, wash basin, and storage, storage, storage.

We like cooking outdoors, so I'd probably have setup that worked off a fold out table on one of the swing out doors, or the maybe the rear area....

See what you started? haha! :D

-Brian

I'm getting some of my kitchen ideas from the internet including the site below. You could build one as nice or as simple as you like:

http://www.campervanlife.com/building/layouts

I keep going back and forth with the DVD/flat screen thought. My idea was to replace the stereo headunit with a DVD version, install a ceiling mount fold-down screen then run the wires. All of that would cost quite a bit so I'm thinking long and hard about it. My van only has 2 speakers up front so new speakers would need to be installed in the rear as well. My other hang up is that the point of this for me is to enjoy nature, a camp fire, play some cards, etc., not watch TV but I do understand the aspect of keeping 3 kids from killing each other.

I have seen table units that would attach to the van exterior wall at one end and have 2 legs at the other. People with teardrop trailers use them and could be a possible solution. Something like this:

Table.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm getting some of my kitchen ideas from the internet including the site below. You could build one as nice or as simple as you like:

http://www.campervanlife.com/building/layouts

I keep going back and forth with the DVD/flat screen thought. My idea was to replace the stereo headunit with a DVD version, install a ceiling mount fold-down screen then run the wires. All of that would cost quite a bit so I'm thinking long and hard about it. My van only has 2 speakers up front so new speakers would need to be installed in the rear as well. My other hang up is that the point of this for me is to enjoy nature, a camp fire, play some cards, etc., not watch TV but I do understand the aspect of keeping 3 kids from killing each other.

I have seen table units that would attach to the van exterior wall at one end and have 2 legs at the other. People with teardrop trailers use them and could be a possible solution. Something like this:

Table.jpg

I'll check that link out, and yeah you got it, it's all about judicious use of the DVD player with our kids. On long stretches with nothing much to see or stop for we love to treat them to a classic disney flick of their choice.

It'd also be great for rainy days out camping where all they want to do is snuggle on the bed with cocoa and Wall-e. :)

I've actually seen those tables, too. Thule, if I'm not mistaken? I've seen their setup where you simply have two nubs left on the rig, and the rest folds up and out of the way. The nubs even have white, onobtrusive covers to further hide and protect them.

zuren

Adventurer
I'll check that link out, and yeah you got it, it's all about judicious use of the DVD player with our kids. On long stretches with nothing much to see or stop for we love to treat them to a classic disney flick of their choice.

It'd also be great for rainy days out camping where all they want to do is snuggle on the bed with cocoa and Wall-e. :)

I've actually seen those tables, too. Thule, if I'm not mistaken? I've seen their setup where you simply have two nubs left on the rig, and the rest folds up and out of the way. The nubs even have white, onobtrusive covers to further hide and protect them.

That table pictured is from Little Guy Trailers (makers of teardrop trailers). Thule may have something similar.

zuren

Adventurer
Just passing through with an update...

I was busy over the week of Thanksgiving. I was home to go hunting and I made the leap to convert the AWD Express van to 4WD. I'll post more later with some pics but here is an overview:

• AWD transfer case removed and replaced with a 1990-1994 NP241 Chevy manual select transfer case (driver-side output flange)
  • Replaced front driveshaft with custom unit from local drivetrain/racing shop
  • Replaced VSS and 2-wire VSS connector on van with one compatible with the NP241
  • Fabricated bracket on drivers seat to anchor morse push/pull shift cable with T-handle shifter
  • Period correct Chevy "4x4" bedside decals added on both sides for finished look
  • Front axle/diff. was left alone

There are some things I would do differently if I were to do it again. Overall I'm pleased with the results. I'll discuss more later.

4x4van.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just passing through with an update...

I was busy over the week of Thanksgiving. I was home to go hunting and I made the leap to convert the AWD Express van to 4WD. I'll post more later with some pics but here is an overview:

• AWD transfer case removed and replaced with a 1990-1994 NP241 Chevy manual select transfer case (driver-side output flange)
  • Replaced front driveshaft with custom unit from local drivetrain/racing shop
  • Replaced VSS and 2-wire VSS connector on van with one compatible with the NP241
  • Fabricated bracket on drivers seat to anchor morse push/pull shift cable with T-handle shifter
  • Period correct Chevy "4x4" bedside decals added on both sides for finished look
  • Front axle/diff. was left alone

There are some things I would do differently if I were to do it again. Overall I'm pleased with the results. I'll discuss more later.

W00t! More details when you have the time, please! Yours may be the first documented AWD->4x4 swap on those vans.

ben2go

Adventurer
Other than some type of unlocking hub,you got it.Having unlocking hubs will help with fuel economy when running the T case in 4x2 mode.The front tires will not be spinning the axle shafts,differential,or front drive shaft.

Accrete

Explorer
Greetings zuren, i'm following your build here and _there_ as i too have an Express AWD and going "light" on interior build. One product that i may be incorporating is something a fellow expo member utilized in their build. . . the 80/20 aluminum erector set stuff. The T-Slot family of products at the site looks utilitarian and fairly easy DIY product.

Anything i do inside my van is going to be way less complicated than this item from their example page!

Application-15.jpg

cheers,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater