New rifle.......

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Just purchased a Savage 10 CFM Scout rifle 308 cal..... will be mounting a 2-4 power LER scope on it, then off to the range! WOO HOO! :wings: Can't wait!!! mjmcdowell

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I just purchased a Ruger Scout Rifle in .308, too! I'm also going to put a LER scope on it.

Shall we have some fun in Nevada next year?????????

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, you live in Georgia and drive all the way to Nevada to shoot ??

I just purchased a Ruger Scout Rifle in .308, too! I'm also going to put a LER scope on it.

Shall we have some fun in Nevada next year?????????

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
:sombrero: Heh Heh, you live in Georgia and drive all the way to Nevada to shoot ??

Michael is in New York...

Next year, we are spending a week in Nevada exploring ghost towns.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Nevada........

Scott, funny like minds think alike, yeah I think that I shall bring it along we could have some fun I think :D Michael

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Hmmm missed this post earlier....I have the Savage Scout - last rifle I purchased. I installed a Leupold Scout scope and a leather butt cuff. I like it well enough but
I wish the stock was laminated wood like the Ruger version.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Scout rifle...

Hmmm missed this post earlier....I have the Savage Scout - last rifle I purchased. I installed a Leupold Scout scope and a leather butt cuff. I like it well enough but
Ed, Why not the Ruger then? I like the synthetic "acustock" of the gen. II Savage. I mounted a third swivel and made a "Ching" slings for it, added a Blackhawk bi-pod, butt cuff/cheek pad, Millet 2x20 LER scope and A "twilight" aperature to the rear sight, (larger for my old eyes) and hood on the front sight, shoots like a dream! I have 3 extra mags (I like that I can top them off while still in the gun). I saw no need for a flash hider and 10 rd. mags don't make sense to me with a bolt action also these two features make it more "military" looking' not good for travel into Canada. I also have a substantial supply of 308 on hand :sombrero: mjmcdowell

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I shot my Scout rifle yesterday!

I broke in the barrel, with 20 shots and lots of cleaning.

I notice that iron sights aren't as easy to see as they used to be... :(

robert

Expedition Leader

How do you like that scope so far? I'm thinking about putting one on a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Heh Heh, well you did pick a good place for checking out your rifles--

I'm about 15 minutes away from safesecure pistol and rifle shooting, from 5 yds to 1500 yds and all the spots in between-

Ya just gotta be careful about the Mustangs--it's not nice to shootem !

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Ed, Why not the Ruger then? I like the synthetic "acustock" of the gen. II Savage. I mounted a third swivel and made a "Ching" slings for it, added a Blackhawk bi-pod, butt cuff/cheek pad, Millet 2x20 LER scope and A "twilight" aperature to the rear sight, (larger for my old eyes) and hood on the front sight, shoots like a dream! I have 3 extra mags (I like that I can top them off while still in the gun). I saw no need for a flash hider and 10 rd. mags don't make sense to me with a bolt action also these two features make it more "military" looking' not good for travel into Canada. I also have a substantial supply of 308 on hand :sombrero: mjmcdowell

Hey MJM:

Funny you should ask - long story but that gun purchase began as internet buy for a special version of a Ruger Single Six revolver. The shop screwed up the order, sent me the wrong gun and the guy who recieved my gun kept it!
It was over a year before Ruger ran another run of that particular model and I got tired of waiting and began to worry that I would lose my money so I took the Savage Scout rifle that the seller had in stock.
Probably would have gone with the Ruger, it's just that when I was decided to get a scout, the only 2 production scout style rifles were the Savage and the Steyr Scout. The Steyr being well out of my price range.

Steyr Scout _308 Caliber.jpg Steyr Scout

This Savage was my first bolt gun and while I can't compare it to another bolt gun its performance, the plastic accustock just feels cheesy to me. Its hollow at the butt end of the stock.
While that makes it lighter, I would prefer it to be either wood or a solid fiberglass to help soak up more of the recoil and make it feel like a more "solid" rifle. I may hunt with it in the future,
(elk comes to mind), but for now I like to hunt the NE woods with a Marlin 1894 levergun. I guess I just became enamoured with the "one-gun" concept and wanted to see if the rifle suited me and I like it
well enough. I can see this gun performing at an acceptable level in both hunting and defense scenarios. The former moreso than the latter. To me, I look at it as a Glock version of a bolt gun - I would not
be afraid to use and slightly abuse it while using it in the field. Put it this way, if I had to grab a few long guns to cover a full range of applications, it would be an AR, Rem 870 12ga and my Savage Scout

Attachments

• scout.jpg
    scout.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 11

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
How do you like that scope so far? I'm thinking about putting one on a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

I like it just fine - I gotta say though I'm a rookie when it comes to glass - this was my first bolt gun and first "traditional" scope (I have an ACOG on an AR15).
Its a fixed scope as you probably know and only one of two dedicated scout scopes that are out there with Burris being the other one. It think the $300 price tag
is a bit high but whatever. I suppose you can use handgun scopes as they have the longer eye relief but I didn't explore that route when I bought the Leupold.

BTW - I have the lever gun as well. Its stock at the moment, but i too thought about installing an AO Sight Scout rail and buying a second Leopold or Burris scope
for it. So many toys and so little disposable caysh :drool:

davidjohin

I have already a lot of Rifles hunting passion ,
hunting our family hobby so here are so many types of Rifle.
if one need any information among rifle , then contact with fear information about hunting component....

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
I have already a lot of Rifles hunting passion ,
hunting our family hobby so here are so many types of Rifle.
if one need any information among rifle , then contact with fear information about hunting component....

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears