NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D45

Explorer
I wonder if I can fit Raptor tires/wheels?

These specs seem accurate?
17" x 8.5"
6 lug x 135mm
34mm offset(6.08 back space)

Tires:
BFGoodrich LT315/70R17 BSW A/T

Didn't Ford have factory beadlocks on some Raptor trucks?

stingray1300

Explorer
Yup, Raptor wheels are a direct swap (as are most Raptor items) -my truck with Generation 1 Raptors:
redStripe1 - Copy.jpg
Be careful about wanting to run 35x12.50s though (315/70), without the Raptor fenders many have rubbing issues unless they lift their truck. A solid 2" level is enough to eliminate most of the rubbing. This is of course if you plan on doing anything but pavement parades.
Factory beadlocks - yes. And you can find them used (eBay/Craigslist). Going price for used ones these days is about $2k for the set.

stingray1300

Explorer
D45: It's that last 2" of width that is the killer...
That's not a cargo box, but a roof top tent. It folds out to an elevated California king sized bed plus and annex room below for 2 more to sleep. At the top it's about 8'-2". Our bear-safe rolling hotel room. :)
RTT1.jpg

epiccosmo

Adventurer
D45: It's that last 2" of width that is the killer...
That's not a cargo box, but a roof top tent. It folds out to an elevated California king sized bed plus and annex room below for 2 more to sleep. At the top it's about 8'-2". Our bear-safe rolling hotel room. :)

Stingray: I know you have a rooftop tent. Always wanted one but my main focus is how tall does the bed/cargo box become once you put the camper top on it? Floor to ceiling?

Ford says its 21.4" floor to the top edge of the bed. Looking to try and understand the cargo space with a camper top on the truck vs the stated 54 cu Sq/Ft on Fords website. 54 isn't much more than a 4Runner on its own.

Ultimate goal is talking the other half into a full size truck as we travel a lot and these F150's just have soo much interior space in the back seat with the 4 doors (mostly will be used by the dog) and then the bed compared to our X5. I think a camper top will put it over the edge as a contender due to how much space it gives us to carry us and all our junk around.

stingray1300

Explorer
That does look good but "bear safe"? Not so much.

I guess a more accurate statement would be "bear safe-r", eh? :) We're almost 7ft off the ground. Black bears won't even bother. Grizzlies however, can just stand up and poke their head into the tent's overhang, and say "hi" :D With the annex on there, it's unlikely any bear will go to the trouble of tearing into it - we keep NO food anything in the tent/annex. Compare that with a ground tent, and there's no competition, the RTT is safer by a long shot. Then add to that our multiple layers of bear counter-measures, and we're extremely unlikely to have issues with bears. We've camped from Alaska and Yukon to Colorado and have yet to bothered enough to wake up. Of course, an RTT is further down the food chain than a hard side camper. A pop-up may be our next step as we age and find it harder to climb the ladder. But we'll have to wait for an inheritance for one of those! :D

stingray1300

Explorer
Stingray: I know you have a rooftop tent. Always wanted one but my main focus is how tall does the bed/cargo box become once you put the camper top on it? Floor to ceiling?

Ford says its 21.4" floor to the top edge of the bed. Looking to try and understand the cargo space with a camper top on the truck vs the stated 54 cu Sq/Ft on Fords website. 54 isn't much more than a 4Runner on its own.

Ultimate goal is talking the other half into a full size truck as we travel a lot and these F150's just have soo much interior space in the back seat with the 4 doors (mostly will be used by the dog) and then the bed compared to our X5. I think a camper top will put it over the edge as a contender due to how much space it gives us to carry us and all our junk around.
Ah, sorry, I didn't understand your question...
The bed sides are about 22" high, and the ceiling with the SnugTop on there is 43" from the bottom of the bed. There are truck caps that are bumped up for another 6" or so, as an option. When we travel, the bed holds our fridge, kitchen, supplies, water, shower, camp chairs, tools/recovery stuff, etc. The back seat of the cab is what we use for our "trunk" (boot for you east of the pond). Here's a couple of pics (the area is ENORMOUS):
back seat1.jpgbackseat2.jpg
The box on the floor is the Sony subwoofer in the upgrade models.

D45

Explorer
I agree, I love the space the back seat area offers

I also love not having the typical driveline hump and the floor is completely flat

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Ah, sorry, I didn't understand your question...
The bed sides are about 22" high, and the ceiling with the SnugTop on there is 43" from the bottom of the bed. There are truck caps that are bumped up for another 6" or so, as an option. When we travel, the bed holds our fridge, kitchen, supplies, water, shower, camp chairs, tools/recovery stuff, etc. The back seat of the cab is what we use for our "trunk" (boot for you east of the pond). Here's a couple of pics (the area is ENORMOUS):
View attachment 322606View attachment 322607
The box on the floor is the Sony subwoofer in the upgrade models.

Wow, 43" is much higher than I thought it would be, was thinking more in the 39-40" range.

The back seat in these trucks amazes me at how large they are. Good thing to know about the subwoofer. I was unaware that they had that placement. Is it capable of having stuff packed on top of it? Good enclosure?

Even the space between the front seats to the back seats is huge. Much larger than the X5 we have. We could probably pack almost everything we put in the back of our X5 between seats in the F150 and under the back seat while the dog can still sit on it.

Love both your truck and D45's. Mileage concerns me little bit if you guys are getting 16s. Understanding you guys have 34's on there, do you remember what you guys got when stock and before lifts?

D45

Explorer
yeah it is not good at all, I was getting 16.5-17.5 all the time with my old Cummins on 37s

In 4WD with my current truck, my mileage drops to 12s, pathetic

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I still can't believe you went from one of my favorite Dodges on the forum to a F150. I cry a little every time I see this thread:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears