New Shell is On!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, after a few fits and starts the new shell is on. As a (completely unintended) bonus, it['s actually the same color as the truck:

2008_0626_194403AA.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a lot more roomy on the inside!

2008_0626_194511AA.jpg

Fiancee thinks it makes the truck look a lot bigger. I think she's right but I think it's aesthetically more pleasing than the cab-high, which looks too long. The high-rise breaks up the straight lines and looks more "balanced" IMO.

2008_0626_194726AA.jpg

Now I just need to fit out the carpet kit (or, after the garage is up, build my own storage/sleeping system.)

But feel great that I've finally got the new shell on!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
SaMingTRD said:
very nice! what brand and model is it?

Not sure. It looks very - very - similar to the Raven shell I had on my Ford Ranger, except that the Raven had a little "cutout" on the leading edge of the shell above the cab where a "skylight" window would go if you ordered that option (I never did and never would.) However, this one has a smooth and gentle slop on that part of the shell. Otherwise it appears absolutely identical.

Since Raven is just a division of Glasstite, I'm wondering if this is simply another version of a Glasstite shell. If so, I'm stoked: Having owned both the Raven and a Glasstite I know they are great shells, very rugged and durable (I actually rolled my '85 Toyota onto the Glasstite shell and it stayed intact! Just came out with a few scratches!)

It has the same long sliding windows as my Raven and the same gray carpeted interior. It has a battery operated light, which I don't like as much as the 12v light in my previous one, but that's something I can probably fix myself.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
XJxplorer said:
looks good!!

You have any plans for the bed?

I have a carpet kit for the bed but that will have to be modified (cut out) to accomodate the C-clamps. You can see a little bit of it in this picture:

Campsite202.jpg

Better view here (through the tailgate tent):

2008_0308_102333AA.jpg

And this is the "inside view" in "sleeping" configuration (in "travel" configuration the center panels would be lowered to floor level.) You can see from this picture how limited the headroom was with the cab-high shell:

2008_0308_102619AA.jpg

So I'm hoping that the new shell will be much more comfortable with its 8" or so of additional headroom and interior volume.

Still to be determined if the tailgate tent will fit. If not it will be up for sale here soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman