New shoes on the BJ42

eleblanc

Adventurer
Change the BF mud for the new km2, and in the process got the rims sandblasted and power coated black matte. Wheel turn out great. But the BF are a good 1/2 less wide then the original km. That is the contact surface. i bought same size that i used to have 255/85R16.

main.php

main.php

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Congratulations on the new treads :)

Did you find a local shop with the KM2s in stock? The 255s have been on national back order.

Do you know how much weight they took and what method was used to balance them?

How much quieter are they than the previous BFG MT 255s? Firmer ride with the load-range-E compared to the old style load-range D?

Nice rig.

Redline

eleblanc

Adventurer
No back order in Canuck land,

Noise wise i don't see any difference but i am not a good reference, the truck is diesel and my tranny does whine. I haven't check the pressure but they may have put too much in it like all tire shop does when installing new tires. But it felt a bit firmer.

But when you look at the truck i feel like i'm running narrower tires now.

Don't know how much weight i'll check, i always ask to have the weight installed on the inside of the rims,

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Tread Plies

They probably are firmer partially because the MK2 255/85s are now load-range-E. I see this as a negative for ride quality (and possibly flex) but I'm sure it makes the tire a bit tougher and allows it to fit more applications (heavy-duty pickups).

How many tread plies and what’s their construction?

2 Steel, 2 polyester, 1 nylon?

esh

Explorer
You say you got new tires but my eyes keep saying BUMPER! :D

If it gets to be too annoying, you might consider 15s with 33x10.5s. Load range C generally I think? Es are better suited for wagons.. which will weigh between 5000-6500lbs depending on accessories and gear load. Your 42 is probably in the 4000-4500 range?

Willman

Nice shoes!!!

I'm still doing my research on these new mud tires......

Let us know what you think after the first 3 K compaired to the old muds.

:sombrero:

targa88

Explorer
No back order in Canuck land,

Noise wise i don't see any difference but i am not a good reference, the truck is diesel and my tranny does whine. I haven't check the pressure but they may have put too much in it like all tire shop does when installing new tires. But it felt a bit firmer.

But when you look at the truck i feel like i'm running narrower tires now.

Don't know how much weight i'll check, i always ask to have the weight installed on the inside of the rims,

Eric,
Great looking rig.
Where did you find the tires in Canada - they seem to be hard to locate in that size

eleblanc

Adventurer
You say you got new tires but my eyes keep saying BUMPER! :D

If it gets to be too annoying, you might consider 15s with 33x10.5s. Load range C generally I think? Es are better suited for wagons.. which will weigh between 5000-6500lbs depending on accessories and gear load. Your 42 is probably in the 4000-4500 range?

Not loaded it weight 5000#, that M12000 24V and bumber is serious weight! The truck weights exactly 4850, with me around 5000#.

The ride is fine, considering the truck, it is just the overall width of the contact surface that annoye me. If there would be a good tire about 34"x11.5" wide i'd be all over them.

eleblanc

Adventurer
Eric,
Great looking rig.
Where did you find the tires in Canada - they seem to be hard to locate in that size

Pneu belisle in Chateauguay. I'm sure you would call any store in the montreal area you would find them. Did you try Costco?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78