New Stove from Jetboil

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Thanks grogie for your descriptive and informative post! I also had a Coleman Fold N Glow years ago...

Curious to hear your feedback on how the Jetboil Genesis does in wind. It should be fairly impervious to reasonable wind when using pots with the flux ring; curious to hear how it does with flat bottom pans/without the flux ring.

And with a more efficient transfer of heat from the burner to the pan, apparent with the Genesis especially when using flux ring equipped pans,...less fuel waste will be realized especially important for lengthy stays in the back country...and less propane cylinder bulk in/on the vehicle.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Well I ordered it....but I also had a $215.00 dividend + 20% off otherwise I wouldn't have been able to override my cheapness haha.

I'll update once I put it to use.

grogie

Like to Camp
Used it! And it SIMMERS!

I picked up a propane bottle today. So I wanted to see how quickly the large pot boils water?

This is in no way scientific, but the relative conditions:
  • 45 degrees out
  • 10 cups of tap water (pot was about half full)
  • Water at 61 degrees (I used an electric meat thermometer)
  • Lid was placed on pot
  • Turned stove up to high
Results:
  • Water temperature at about five minutes: 170 degrees
  • At six minutes: 212 and climbing
Note:
  • I love how the pot sits over the grates... pot goes around grates so it won't slide off.
  • The orange coated handles on pot were not at all hot when the water was at 212 degrees.
iEqqgn.jpg

tsWtU0.jpg

GHSoRc.jpg

I also cooked four burgers in the frying pan. I first had the temperature up too high, so when I flipped the burgers and turned it way down and it simmered!!! (Exactly what the old Coleman wouldn't do.)

NS8lDP.jpg

Also, just nice engineering. Even the handle on the lid that fits both the pot and frying pan, it's a hard rubber that doesn't get hot and either sits up or sits flat.

PfxmRq.jpg

The the frying pan was super easy to clean! Just a little hot water melted the fat in the pan and I wiped it out. Jetboil, if you read this, I'd love more of these ceramic coated pans!!!

Happy, happy, happy with the purchase. (And even my wife was impressed.) :chef:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Got mine today. I echo everything grog says. Fantastic stove and pots. The ignition also works first click unlike many stoves I've ised. Wind screen is kinda lame but it's not needed witht the flux ring pot. Overall a really nice, compact setup that looks quite durable and quality.

grogie

Like to Camp
Got mine today. I echo everything grog says. Fantastic stove and pots. The ignition also works first click unlike many stoves I've ised. Wind screen is kinda lame but it's not needed witht the flux ring pot. Overall a really nice, compact setup that looks quite durable and quality.

Lol... Honestly at first I didn't even notice the windscreens in the bag as they kind of look like just support for the bag. As said, with the Coleman I would just block the wind with something large when wind was an issue.

texascrane

Adventurer
I'm really tempted by this. I've been looking for a good camp stove set up for a while. At first I was planning to get a skottle. While it looks cool, it also seems limited for doing simple things like making a pot of beans. Then I was looking at the coleman, camp chef, and then the partner stoves. The partner stoves in particular seem awesome, but also really bulky. This looks like it might be the ticket. 2 burners, packs up small etc. It also looks to me like I could probably just pick up a discada and throw it on top of the grate if I wanted to do the skottle thing and stir fry something.

My jet boil is still going strong after 8 or 9 years, so I would expect this provides a similar level of quality.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Made a pretty quick soup from scratch in it today that required carmelizing, hard boil, and simmering for 30 min. And it did it all wonderfully. Quick clean up and tidy package.

TheFutur

Adventurer
I have one on order! Although it apparently has yet to be approved for sale in Canada so it hasn't shipped yet. I'm constantly watching my credit card statement waiting for the payment to come out so I know it's on its way haha

2002maniac

I really like this, but cannot stomach the price. Maybe Firemaple will make a competing stove system soon. I've use some of their jetboil style gear and it works great at a much better price point.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm really tempted by this. I've been looking for a good camp stove set up for a while. At first I was planning to get a skottle. While it looks cool, it also seems limited for doing simple things like making a pot of beans. Then I was looking at the coleman, camp chef, and then the partner stoves. The partner stoves in particular seem awesome, but also really bulky. This looks like it might be the ticket. 2 burners, packs up small etc. It also looks to me like I could probably just pick up a discada and throw it on top of the grate if I wanted to do the skottle thing and stir fry something.

My jet boil is still going strong after 8 or 9 years, so I would expect this provides a similar level of quality.

I also wanted a skottle but then I realized how awkward the space they use is plus it's not as convenient to get food out of since there is no handle, plus the cleaning, care, etc. The jetboil packs up small and keeps everything in one tidy package.

grogie

Like to Camp
I really like this, but cannot stomach the price. Maybe Firemaple will make a competing stove system soon. I've use some of their jetboil style gear and it works great at a much better price point.

Well you get what you pay for. The Coleman Fold N Go with just the stove and bag is about half the price. This throws in the two awesome pots into the same packaging and corrects the issues that the Coleman has. It's a great setup and will last for years so I'm happy with spending the money on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78