New Tacoma vs Colorado vs Ranger

D45

Explorer
Another odd feature I have found for 2023 Colorado and Canyon trucks......is that some factory window stickers say 1 speed transfer case and some trucks say 2 speed transfer case

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Another odd feature I have found for 2023 Colorado and Canyon trucks......is that some factory window stickers say 1 speed transfer case and some trucks say 2 speed transfer case

GM Started using transfer cases with no low range a few years ago in the half tons. I think in 2019?
Low range is an option.
Guessing they started putting those transfer cases in the mid sized trucks now too.

D45

Explorer
I'm definitely going to look for a truck with a 2 speed case

Factory bedliner, sunroof, and rear slider are also a must for me

I'm still undecided on the ZR2 package and wondering if I "need" a front locker

D45

Explorer
Canyon has a better looking front end and larger fog lights

Colorado seems to have tiny pencil beam fogs and a large plastic filler plate that makes it looks like it's missing an option

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 17
  • images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 20
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 21
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 21
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 21

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Canyon has a better looking front end and larger fog lights

Colorado seems to have tiny pencil beam fogs and a large plastic filler plate that makes it looks like it's missing an option
To me they both look like a truck that's mid disassembly...

New Canyon:

Screenshot 2024-01-24 144839.png

Sierra with grill and bumper removed:

images.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
National Lampoons family vacation lol.
A small (big) part of me really wants to own a Wagon Queen Family truckster replica.
Maybe one with a Duramax swap like this one:

1698977133_screenshot_20231102_185249_chrome_mmthumb.jpg

Maybe Coyote swapped..... That would be nice to park beside a Hellephant powered Bluesmobile.

Too bad those 'cheap' cars are not longer cheap or easy to find.

24 G's for this crusty Hazzard County Monaco:

1706197133810.png

7G's for this 74 Monaco project car. With how hard they are to find i'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wouldn't lead to divorce.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 083942.png

Someone needs to save it.

skrypj

Three ZR2's finally arrived at a dealer here so I think I am going to go take a look.

I did sit in a Colorado WT the other day though and, even being the bottom of the barrel trim, the interior was not half bad. I do think the rear seat is smaller than the Gladiators I have been looking at so that could be an issue.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Three ZR2's finally arrived at a dealer here so I think I am going to go take a look.

I did sit in a Colorado WT the other day though and, even being the bottom of the barrel trim, the interior was not half bad. I do think the rear seat is smaller than the Gladiators I have been looking at so that could be an issue.
Remember if you don’t go with a zr2- the GMCs all have the widebody on them- with a Chevy you only get that with a zr2 or traiboss. Really a trail boss with the optional 32” Goodyears seems to be the best bang for buck.

D45

Explorer
Remember if you don’t go with a zr2- the GMCs all have the widebody on them- with a Chevy you only get that with a zr2 or traiboss. Really a trail boss with the optional 32” Goodyears seems to be the best bang for buck.

That's good info

skrypj

So I test drove the ZR2 tonight. Pretty much fully loaded except for the bose sound system. It had the Convenience Package, Safety Package and Tech Package. Overall a very nice truck and the interior felt and looked nice. Its a little tight(we fit two car seats in there and its a squeeze) but otherwise felt good.

To put this in perspective, I am coming from a 2014 F150 Ecoboost Lariat with nearly every option. The ZR2 was as nice or nicer than my F150 inside. However, coming from an F150 that weighs 6400 lbs and is on 315/70R17 Territory MT's(same tire as the ZR2), I went into the test drive expecting the 2.7L TurboMax in the ZR2 to move that truck around with ease. 430 ft-lbs with 33's and only weighing 5000 lbs, it should have a huge advantage, but I walked away kind of underwhelmed. It just didnt feel like it had much grunt and tended to downshift and go for RPM's.

With my F150, it always feels like there is a good amount of reserve torque on tap. Just roll a little farther into the throttle and just let the torque wave push you along with no gear hunting. I didnt get that sense from the ZR2. It was almost like driving my GX460 with the NA V8

I am hoping maybe it was just because it only had 35 miles and maybe the PCM was still learning. Or maybe they have a "break in" tune on it to keep the torque lower for the first thousand miles or something.

D45

Explorer
I was surprised that a bone stock Colorado with smaller tires has the same diff ratio as a loaded Colorado with 33s

I think 3.42 gears?

285/70R17 is roughly 32.7 x 11.20

315/70R17 is roughly 34.4 x 12.40

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online