New to campers...Advice!!!

Cell Block 726

Observer
I have always wanted a truck camper for many years and we are ready to pull the trigger. I don't want to spend a fortune, I was looking at a new Palamino maverick for around 20k but is that justifiable? or looking at used lance campers at anywhere from 5k to 20k... just looking at some honest opinions on new or used, finance vs. cash via private seller. We finally got the truck (Chevy 2500HD) we have needed to haul our equipment and hope to get a truck camper for our long excursions...

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Welcome to the club (or just about).

A lot depends on what you want and what you are gong to do.

Honestly if this is your first TCer then I would say buy used. Get something that you like, don't spend a fortune, do some repairs to learn about the good and bad and go from there. Then if you find in a couple of years that you like tcers either keep what you have or find one that meets your needs using the experience that you get with the used one. Way too many people go out and drop a lot of money only to find out that the wife is pregnant, the style is not your thing or many other reasons and they regret spending all that money (just look at how many slightly used units are for sale).

I bought a used TCer several years back and since then I have been looking at something that would be better for me and have not found it. I am VERY thankful that I did not spend $35,000 on a new unit as really I had no idea what made a good Tcer.

For me I would spend cash if at all possible, I hate owing on something that is loosing money.

If you find a lower price used one then take the money that you save and get out and enjoy the used one.

motrhed

Observer
I agree with Photomike, get a reasonably priced used one and make sure that a TC matches your lifestyle. If it suits you, then you can step up to a higher priced unit with more features, quality, and size. I started out with a tin sided (wood framed) 8 footer and then through experience figured out that I wanted more space, a hot water tank, better insulation, heated tanks, and better construction (alu. frame). We searched for 2 years then found our current unit... we are now shopping for the next evolution of our "home away from home"!
Good luck!

PS, don't purchase one that is too large for your truck's GVWR... allow enough additional carrying capacity to handle the water, propane, your supplies (food, clothing, camping stuff, etc.), and whoever is going to be traveling with you.

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I agree you probably should start by figuring out what the capacity of your truck is, and then work from there to make a list of campers that are within your weight budget. You might be surprised how limiting that can be. We have a '99 Bigfoot C25-10.6, which Bigfoot marketed as being suitable for a 3/4 ton pickup. The reality is that in many instances you need a 1 ton dually to be fully within the GVWR of the truck. Point being is that I think the camper manufacturers can sometimes be a little optimistic.

We bought new when we purchased our Bigfoot. It was our first camper, and in fact our first "RV" of any sort. We had done a lot of research over a period of a few years before we made the decision. We spent a lot of time crawling in and out of campers, trailers, and 5th wheels before first settling on a truck camper as the right solution for our needs, and then deciding on the make and model. We were very comfortable with the decision at the time as evidenced by the fact that we still own and use the camper 13 years later. It's very likely we will own this camper for 20 years or more.

If you are uncertain about your commitment to using a truck camper, or about the particular make/model, then buying used can make sense. Much like cars, there is a lot of initial depreciation when you purchase new. But, if you're going to keep the camper for 20 years, then I think the initial depreciation isn't so much of an issue. On the other hand, if you buy your first one used with the anticipation that there is a high probability that you will turn around in a few years and buy a new one, then I'm not sure you aren't better off skipping the step of owning a used camper that may have some hidden issues to be fixed. It really depends on the specifics of your situation.

FishPOET

Adventurer
Some great advice already in this thread.

If you are looking at used TCs I suggest the following:

Look for rot and/or water damage EVERYWHERE
If the unit has a front overhead window it is notorious for leaks.
If the unit has rear wings they are notorious for water damage.

If the unit has a refrigerator make sure it works all ways.
If the unit has a hot water heater make sure it works and check for leaks.
If the unit has a forced air furnace make sure it and the thermostat work.
If the unit has roof AC make sure it works.
Test the fresh water pump and pipes for leaks. Look at all the connections visible under sinks.
If the unit has holding tanks test the tanks and the valves for leaks and look for water damage.
Climb on the roof and check the condition of the roof and caulking (take care not to step through the roof)
If the unit has a bathroom check underneath for leaks/water damage.
If the unit has a slide make sure it works and there is no water damage on the slide.
If the unit has jacks connected to the camper make sure they work and check the connections to the camper for water damage, loose screws or bent brackets.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
That's some good advice from FishPOET. Based on our experience with our 13 year old camper, when stuff breaks it's the kind of things he's listed.

Cell Block 726

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback!! many good valid points here... We do feel this will fit our lifestyle in many ways as we are coming from camping for 20+ years in tent, truck bed, Jeep cherokees and now for the last 3 years a 16 ft bare box trailer set up to carry our equipment and sleep/camp out of. But now feel the TC is the next step to have complete versatility...

Cheers!

Attachments

• RZR Jet ski Expo 591.jpg
    RZR Jet ski Expo 591.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 30

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I will be selling out Bigfoot soon but it's a long bed model - I believe your truck is a short bed?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Never buy new

Never buy new.

Never buy new.

Buy a good shape used camper and customize it for your specific needs.

This is easy to do.

Never buy new!

805gregg

Adventurer
I bought a used Lance 9.5' 1995, it has been great, we've had 1 class C, and 2 class A's, the Lance is our favorite.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Never buy new.

Never buy new.

Buy a good shape used camper and customize it for your specific needs.

This is easy to do.

Never buy new!

This can go both ways. We bought a Starcraft 14RT offroad toy hauler. NEW. We owned it for four years, towed it around 20,000 miles, slept in it somewhere in the range of 500 nights (full time for 8 months). Then we traded it on our current tc. We got EXACTLY what we paid for it when we traded it in for a four year old tc that we got for 50% of its original selling price. While this may not be a common story, it does show that if you buy right, and sell right, sometimes new is ok.

That said, buying a used unit that is as new as you can afford is a great way to go.

Cell Block 726

Observer
Well, I took the plunge and bought a used 2011 Lance 825 TC ... for what I believe was a decent deal with all tie downs and few extras. We are super happy with it and can't wait to get out and use it!!!

Cell Block 726

Observer
View attachment 101142

Here is just a quick pic from my phone(not great) and not tied down yet, just seeing how it sits..I will soon put airbags on as I have the front leveled out with Icon upper arms and extented shocks.. I have already removed the bronze graphics and all rear logos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger