New to campers and surprised by the high prices. How come a camper is half the cost of a car?

billiebob

Well I am seeing lots of these so not sure why it is not doable
Research the North American Tacoma, it is built for the North Amarican market and no where else, need parts in Ushoaia or Europe or Australia and they will need to be shipped from North America.

ps, Australia only allows you to drive right hand drive vehicles, you won't get that Taco off the dock

RJ Howell

What year? Even 5 years ago you couldn't build a flatbed with boxes out of steel for $300. Aluminum will be cost to $2k+.

My brother is a pipeline welder. He could have built his bed for less than what he paid but he would rather be working making money. What's $10k for a flatbed on the back of a $80k truck.

My uncle and cousin farm almost 2000 acres. What's $10k on the back of your truck when a combine is $385k? They spend six figures annually on seed and fertilizer.

My truck is for recreation so I have a hard time swallowing the that much money for a flatbed. I'll still be over $2k in materials. I also don't need my truck for work so it can sit for a month if need be. Plus the money I have can go to the KTM fund ?

2yrs ago! And who in their right mind pays $80K for a pickup? Pricing has gone nuts and there is no good reason to jump on the wagon and allow it to continue.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
What year? Even 5 years ago you couldn't build a flatbed with boxes out of steel for $300. Aluminum will be cost to $2k+.

My brother is a pipeline welder. He could have built his bed for less than what he paid but he would rather be working making money. What's $10k for a flatbed on the back of a $80k truck.

My uncle and cousin farm almost 2000 acres. What's $10k on the back of your truck when a combine is $385k? They spend six figures annually on seed and fertilizer.

My truck is for recreation so I have a hard time swallowing the that much money for a flatbed. I'll still be over $2k in materials. I also don't need my truck for work so it can sit for a month if need be. Plus the money I have can go to the KTM fund ?

The line I've bolded above goes some way to explaining the rising costs of fabricated things, particularly over here in Aus, but I'm guessing anywhere that there are similar expansions in the extractive industries.

The guys over here that work as boilermakers or fabricators in the extractive industries make big money up to AU$75/hr (about AU$150k/yr). The guys (same qualification) working in the fabricator in town make perhaps AU$30-40/hr, ($60-90k/yr) but that's climbing quickly to keep up with the mines money, so of course your costs are going to go up. If you don't keep wages up with your competition, you will lose your people...

Also, over here at least, the tax incentives have distorted the high end ute market as they can be depreciated much more quickly than in the past by businesses. This is reflected in the number of AU$100k VDJ79s that are being bought by these guys once they've gone shopping for the canopies....and also to a boom in the market for the US Ram and F-Trucks.

Andrew_S

Observer
Just adding to the conversation. I built a pop-top aluminum topper, very bare bones deal.
Total cost was around 5k, including electrical components, diesel heater, mattress etc.
The big expense was my time, several hundred hours - 300 hrs @ $50/hr = $15k.

If a company offered something similar for my vehicle @ a 20k price point I would 100% go that route vs building my own again.
Build your own camper and you'll have a lot of appreciation for why the prices are so high.

Research the North American Tacoma, it is built for the North Amarican market and no where else, need parts in Ushoaia or Europe or Australia and they will need to be shipped from North America.

ps, Australia only allows you to drive right hand drive vehicles, you won't get that Taco off the dock
you might want to check your facts

The above is a LHD Defender that was just shipped and put on the road In Australia. I hope I am not wrong
I am still split between :
-bringing a hilux Toyota to Canada before I start my journey,
-buying a tacoma do the Americas and then sell it

Last edited:
Just adding to the conversation. I built a pop-top aluminum topper, very bare bones deal.
Total cost was around 5k, including electrical components, diesel heater, mattress etc.

If a company offered something similar for my vehicle @ a 20k price point I would 100% go that route vs building my own again.
Build your own camper and you'll have a lot of appreciation for why the prices are so high.
As I said one either has too much money or too much time. Detailed reasoning in a message upstream
Depending which category you are in you either buy or build

If you own a farm that is a half of the continent size then you are wasting time talking about building and your perspective is different

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer

Unfortunately, mass production lacks quality, there is the problem.
I frequent Irv2 site, check out the Monaco, Phaeton section, they're pretty but that's about it, imo

Porkchopexpress

you might want to check your facts

The above is a LHD Defender that was just shipped and put on the road In Australia. I hope I am not wrong
I am still split between :
-bringing a hilux Toyota to Canada before I start my journey,
-buying a tacoma do the Americas and then sell it

I might misunderstand your plans but foreign trucks like the hilux that Americans consider compact are the norm in other countries and built more robust than our Tacoma or similar which were designed for light duty and fuel economy. If you plan International travel, it makes more sense to buy something abroad in my opinion. There are some great small trucks that aren't sold in the US.

If I was going to buy domestic and wanted Tacoma size, I would go with a 4runner or Lexus GX and roof top tent.

Sorry if I'm off topic, this thread seems to jump all over so hard to follow.

Porkchopexpress

yes that is one of the alternatives I am considering
I would like to know more about the size vs robustness when it comes to Hilux vs Tacoma comparison

From the article,

"Tow truck bodies, tank bodies, and flatbeds are just some of the choices a commercial buyer has when ordering a chassis-cab truck. The Hilux can be ordered that way. Also, it has one-ton capabilities. Even the larger Tundra is only rated for half-ton loads."

From the article,

"Tow truck bodies, tank bodies, and flatbeds are just some of the choices a commercial buyer has when ordering a chassis-cab truck. The Hilux can be ordered that way. Also, it has one-ton capabilities. Even the larger Tundra is only rated for half-ton loads."
well that is capacity not robustness
built more robust than our Tacoma
I need the reasons for the above, I do not want an excessively large or powerful truck but robustness matters

Porkchopexpress

well that is capacity not robustness
Capacity and robustness are relatively synonymous. Higher capacity is achieved by using thicker frames, suspension and drivetrain. If you use the vehicle below capacity, it will last longer but be less efficient than using a lighter vehicle to it's full potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle