New to Forum-Kia Sorento owner

RMH-Andy

Hello, I'm a new guy that just purchased an '07 Sorento over the weekend. In the last 25 yrs I've owned about 15 4x4 vehicles which I've taken on trails in Colorado, mostly stock or near stock vehicles. I'm very interested in an Expedition type vehicle now for traveling/camping and less technical wheeling. Nice to be here.

Andy - Longmont,CO

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Welcome Andy... There's a few Kia guys on here, and everyone seems to love 'em.

Jrally

Adventurer
After I get enough of my Celica project (might be a few years), I'll likely get a Kia Sportage from the late 90's. My race mechanic background is in Mazdas, and a good bit of the Kia drivetrains are based on, if not actully Mazda parts. So familiarity is my draw to them. I'm thinking a Sportage 2.0L with a turbo might be a fun project... I should track down the one that was already caged a few years back, someone was building it up to rally it.

-Jon

RMH-Andy

Sportage

I had a '97 Sportage that we leased. It was a good vehicle, pretty good power. It was my wife's main car but we did move the t-case lever into low a few times.

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
Nice to see you hear! I love my Sorento it has been great, I have about 50,000 miles and never had a problem yet. Great SUV. Looking forward to your build!

Here are a couple pictures of mine...

26434930271_large.jpg

26434930274_large.jpg

26434930284_large.jpg

26434930294_large.jpg

26434930306_large.jpg

26434930300_large.jpg

26434930303_large.jpg

username

Is the engine a kia?

Earlier Korean offerings used engines sourced from japan. Are the kia engines made by kia?

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
Do either of you have a Sorento EX? I'm looking into them now for my wife-prior to the 2010 model year the base model 4WD had a regular 4HI/4LO which would be fine for me but I don't know how well my wife would do with a part time 4WD, having to switch in and out of 4HI, etc... Apparently the EX is the best of both worlds-full time AWD, but with a selectable low range as well. The transfer case is complicated and pricey though-apparently there have been some problems, but I need to research more. Just curious if anyone has experience with this particular model.

sorrieboutdat

Hi sorrieboutdat here from Brisbane Australia
im new to the 4by scene and to this site
i have a 06 kia sorento my 07 ex sport 3.5 l v6 5 speed auto with 4hi and 4lo
its black with black/red and tan leather interior,we have fitted a bullbar,driving lights,gme tx4500 uhf radio,a rear tow bar and a fairly solid rear step,it will have hema nave soon linked to a laptop and google earth as we plan to do some touring around the australian outback.
i have some build up plans to toughen up the sorrie but have come up against it here as no one does any tuff bits here no one rate them to be capable.
plan: old man emu 2-3" lift medium duty, i would have preferd a winch bar rated to around 10000lb but no one does them here, fit twin fuel tanks at 21.1 gal each,pull the spare out from underneath and fit twin swing aways, with the ability to carry 2 jerry cans one each side and 4 maxx tracks 2 each side,fill the space underneath with a 30 gal water blader internal fill covered with a bash plate so that its protected from underneath,bash plates also up front to protect raidiator,sump,box sump and transfer case.taller profile tyres to get a bigger foot print on the sand,mud and better grip on rougher terrain,id also like to fit air lockers or locking hubs and diff covers.
other mods that i would like to do is to do an engine to just make it hang together a bit tougher and then supercharge and chip it to extract more torque and of course hp. then finish it off with either a roof top tent or an offroad camper, and a set of drawes up the back and a swing out mini 3 burner cooker and fridge.
so if any one has any other info or ideas i'd love to hear or see them.

regards
sorrieboutdat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan