New to forum, new to everything!

elee

Observer
Hey,
I'm Elliott and I have just recently became really interested in expeditioning. Is that the right term? But I'm from the a small town in Northeast, GA, but right now I am in college. I drive a 2002 Silverado Z71. Yes it's large and not very equipped...yet. But I know what it will and will not do as of right now. I have a friend that drives a 2012 JKU Rubi and we are planning a trip to the mountains and the road that is sketchy at times from what I hear. I like the thought of taking my truck and my friends Jeep on camping trips. Well enough of that... Here is my truck with 285 Cooper S/T's, G80, flares, exhaust(which will become more "high Clearance" soon), and a custom CAI (which will change also).The hopes are to turn this truck in a reliable DD and a decent overlanding vehicle. And sorry the only pics I have acces to are clean ones.
photo1_zpsce8499f2.jpg

Here is my friends Jeep hung on the differentials.
159755DE.jpg

372B2DA4.jpg

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum. You will find a ton of info from some really knowledgeable people (I'm not one of them). One thing that stands out with these guy's is the less bling and the more functionality your truck has the better.

elee

Observer
Welcome to the forum. You will find a ton of info from some really knowledgeable people (I'm not one of them). One thing that stands out with these guy's is the less bling and the more functionality your truck has the better.

Thanks and I have noticed this. Everything on the truck has a function except maybe the exhaust tips. But there are big plans for it. It's just going to take a long while seeing as I am a college student.

elee

Observer
I figured I would post the plan in two phases.
Phase One:
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Moog Problem Solver Tie Rods
General AT2 or Toyo AT2 on NBS Z71 wheels or Aftermarket 17's
Camper Cover of some sort
HID Lights
Hi-Lift
Under Car Lights
I'm sure more I'm forgetting.

Phase Two:
14 Bolt Semi-Float
Dodge Dana 44/ 3-Linked, Coils
Resevoir Shocks
37's
Custom ladder rack w/ floating over cab basket
Custom tube bumpers
ARB front/rear lockers
On-Board air w/ quick connects front and rear
RTT
I'm forgetting something definitley

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Welcome! I've been lurking for over a year but am still VERY new. Just got MY dream truck a few months ago and am starting "The Change". Have fun!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
If I could offer some advice from someone who has built a number of rigs and spent WAY too much money....

Here is my list of first things to do:
Get an Extreme Outback Tire repair kit and ask them if you can get an extra set of small plugs (then find an old tire & drill bit and practice)
Get a decent little compressor (the MV50 will be fine to start....google it but fix the fuse & wiring)
Get a tire gauge.
Make sure you have good front & rear recovery points.
Get a good strap (1 tow & 1 snatch) and shackles.
Fill up the tank and go.

Too many people spend money on the rig vs the trip and then never go.
Airing down and having a friend will get you out of 90% of the recoveries.

Build the rig very slowly based on what you NEED after you figure out what you NEED, not what you want or think you want.
A $100 spent in fuel is worth $200 or $500 in gear if that means actually getting outdoors vs driveway exploring.

Oh and post lots of trip reports so the other folks who are busy building rigs can see how much fun you are having.

Down the road you might get:
A better on board air setup.
A fridge (always my first thing in a rig)
dual batteries for fridge
an ARB X-jack to help with the mud & snow recoveries
better camp gear
Nav goodies

and lastly what ever you do NEVER open a thread or get anywhere near SNOW PEAK goods or you will be a glamping lost cause :)

elee

Observer
Advice taken! This is definitley a slow building process. I do need to do some maintenance to the truck before I go on a longer trip. And thanks for a suggestion on the air compressor thats the one thing I do not have.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Nice, solid platform. I have yet to get hung up wheeling in AZ, I stick to the path of least resistance. lol

dblosch

Adventurer
Hey Elliott, nice rig! A Chevy 4x4 will take you to 90% of the destinations in North America, and you can't beat that ice cold A/C... I'm in an Avalanche myself.

Lance has the right idea with getting out and tooling around more than pumping money into farkle. But hey Lance, what's wrong with glamping?!

Georgia Overland is a good place to go for maps of forest service roads in north Georgia.

Check in in the the southeast region chapter, it's seems like there's always something going on in the south.

:wavey:
Dan

elee

Observer
Oh you cannot beat the A/C in those Georgia summers! I have pushed this truck about to it's limits on a variety of terrain. Also I have to get tires in the near future so there is a nice chunk of money right there. I really want a 295 on a 17" wheel.

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Welcome to the forum, some great people and information here. Sounds like you have plan, dont forget the pics...

elee

Observer
Welcome to the forum, some great people and information here. Sounds like you have plan, dont forget the pics...

I'm glad I have other NBS Z71s out there. Very nice rig you have there. And Thank You for your service, protecting this great country!

ed604

Adventurer
Hello Elliot, I am fairly new here myself and I thought that I would echo some of Lances thoughts. Having just finished (are we ever finished?) a build and now just getting back from a super trip, I can offer you that getting out is better than prepping in a ratio of 100-1. I spent hours and hours and dollars and dollars doing up my truck and while I love it (the truck) I have loved the trip way way more.

that said, I have to admit it is cool meeting people and hearing positive feedback on your efforts when they like your rig!

welcome to the forum and like they say, Lot's of pictures of trips!

cheers,

Ed

elee

Observer
Once I get a new set of tires. Off I go to where ever that may be! I am just adding cheaper stuff as extra money comes in. Glad to hear all the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12