New to ham radio

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Hopefully will be getting my license in March. Not sure if I can get my general before tech. Joining a Search And Rescue team, Price around 300 dollars.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
It's been years since I asked that question so this isn't gospel but back then you had to take tests in order. I think you could take all the levels that the testers could do the same day. As for the radio, for that price range you're pretty much limited to a VHF, UHF or dual band VHF/UHF radio. To make the jump to HF you'll need more money then that or be willing to buy very used gear. I'd get the license then hang around some of the local HAM guys for a while. They will help pick out a good radio that you can build up with and will probably know someone who wants to sell a radio. HAM's always seem to be buying the next newest greatest gadget but to keep the YL's happy they have to get rid of one first! The SAR guys will be able to help you out with the type radios they use, such as needing a handheld or mobile radio. Take your time and you'll be much happier and better off in the long run. Good luck on your tests!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Generally, it seems to me like most people on the trail are either 2 meter or 2M/440 (dual band), which you can do with the lower level Technician license.

I think the best radio is the Icom 706, but it's very expensive and has loads of features you can't even use if you are only Technician class.

A couple of inexpensive, but capable and good quality radios to consider are the Icom 208 and the Yaesu 7800. I have the Icom 208, and find it fairly hard to use, with frustratingly labeled buttons and a poor user manual. It is not newbe friendly, but it is compact, well featured, and inexpensive.

From what I have read on this forum and others, the Yaesu 7800 is easier to use, similarly capable, and also inexpensive.

Kenwood has a few radios in this class also, but it seems most people prefer the Icom or Yaesu brands, but I don't know why.

Cheers,

NW

Edit: Wow check out this great post from Mr. R2FJ: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24082

gary in ohio

Explorer
Hopefully will be getting my license in March. Not sure if I can get my general before tech. Joining a Search And Rescue team, Price around 300 dollars.

How is the SAR team using ham radio, want bands/freq are they using. That will drive the radio. Your $300 is marginal, I assume you will need both a mobile and portable and your going to be hard pressed to do that with new gear.

gary in ohio

Explorer
]......

I think the best radio is the Icom 706, but it's very expensive and has loads of features you can't even use if you are only Technician class.

While the Icom 706 was a good radio, the newer Icom 706MKGII is one of the best general purpose radio's around. Its not that expensive for what you get. Consdering the dual band 208H you have is around $350 new and you can get a used 706mkgii for slightly double that, new is under $1000. If your going to go beyond a tech licesne the 706 is a great little mobile rig. Usable with the TECH licesne fully usable with general and above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman