New to me Tacoma - Door armrest too hard!

caz

This may be my first post here, long time lurker!

I picked up a '96 Taco to turn into my weekend toy. This week I have been driving it back and forth to work all week, and I love the truck so far!

The biggest complaint is the ARMREST on the driver's door!

My truck is a base model - no AC, intermittent wipers, cruise, etc... The armrest is rock hard, and it has my elbow quite sore.

Are there other armrests that bolt up and are softer, or what have some of the rest of you done?

Here is my before and after so far. Still lots of parts on order and lots of work to do!

Build thread HERE.

truck_compare.jpg

Last edited:

RainSR5

There is a nicer armrest that will bolt on, but the color will be slightly off. It's the armrest from 89-95 SR5 manual window Pickups and 90-95 4Runners with manual windows. It uses the same elbow pad as the power window 4runner/pickup/tacoma and is much softer. They look like this:

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 9

robert

Expedition Leader
On my old Tacoma I had a piece of closed cell foam padding that I stuck on the driver's side arm rest using some of that Velcro tape. I never took the time to make it look that great so I only used it when I would go on trips. It was easy enough to clean the sticky off the arm rest when I wasn't using it. I had a piece for the window as well; for it I had a couple of plastic tabs glued to it and I'd just stick them in the window channel.

I keep saying I'm going to make something nicer for the new Tacoma, maybe using neoprene, but never seem to get around to it. I shattered my left arms some years ago and they moved the ulnar nerve so it's not uncommon for me to unconsciously leave my arm on the window long enough for the bone to start hurting. Sounds kind of stupid but it sucks on longer trips.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior