New to Range Rover family but not new to Portal!!!

Jis4Jeep

Observer
So after weeks of looking around and research I finally pulled the trigger on a Land Rover just not the one I thought I was going to get. At first I was sold on an 01 disco but at the end of the day I got a 97 Range Rover HSE (with a few bugs)

So I met the gentlemen who owned the vehicle and he told me that it was for his 17 year old however it had to many problems and after a few grand in repairs the boys grandpa bought him a Civic. Anyway the problems.

1) Bad Sun Roofer motor (sun roof not set error code) NO Big deal I would imagine

2) No front drive shaft ( Vehicle broke down and had to be towed the removed the front drive shaft (the wrecker) and never gave it back owner said he called but no one could find it. I looked underneath and the ubolts are still there which is strange not sure why it wasn't just unbolted from front dif and transfer case. I put it in 4 wheel drive and everything seemed fine minus the drive shaft. No biggie I felt

3) Since I don't speak very well Spanish and the guy was Cuban I thought the AC compressor was removed but he said no its there just disconnected so I couldn't see where or what was disconnected and my Spanish buddy is still asking him were it was disconnected from but i noticed the heater lines where disconnected so I figured that is where it was disconnected from however there is no power going to the A/C unit inside. I figured Ill take the hit and figure out what is going on there. Yes a Biggie

4) Codes!!!!! there are so many codes that it takes 10 minutes once the truck is off for it to stop flash these codes at you. Like ( Lens washer something fail) I researched that and I guess its the windshield washer fluid pump or relay.
EAS Failure. What I found out from him...... Someone did the coil conversion however I guess they either didnt trick the computer to know that hey everything is good so stop with the codes or there was a problem. I drove this thing for 25 miles and the suspension feels great. Big DEAL cause its annoying. Sun ROOF Glass off track, every windshield off track however every windshield works they just have so much force seating back up that it sounds like they are going to go through the roof. SRS light on so I guess Air Bags dont work!. Oh well>>>>>> Oh yeah the on board compressor and valves and what not work its like when i start it up its trying to fill up tires and get everything level. after 5 minutes it shuts off. Also Traction control light is on last night but all day today was fine.

This trucks inside is almost perfect and the exterior has no dents but paint looks like an old Voyager wagon after years in the Florida sun. No leaks I am going from a Jeep TJ so this thing is like a huge upgrade luxury wise and handles and feels great while I am in it. A few things that I dont like probably cause I am still trying to figure out where buttons are. Every light in the center is on so there are some issues but I felt that I have the skills to either fix it or learn how to fix the right way. Either way I would like to only put a little aggressive tires on it a roof rack for my Kayaks and call it a day. The most I will be doing is camping my days of rock crawling are over beings that I live in Florida Now! So Ive been looking through on the threads trying to gain as much knowledge as possible but if anyone has any advise for me other then sell it back to the cuban Ill take it. Heres one pic got too dark for me to take any more pics.

1997 LR Ranger HSE Black $2,000 120000 miles
photo6.jpg

RangeBrover

Explorer
Whoa... so where to start. Congrats on joining the Land Rover family, but I feel that you might start thinking you married the ugly sister. Have no fear though because you're just going to have to start tackling things one item at a time. Here's a list of some things so you have something to start with.

1. I'd try to get a closer look at the coil conversion and see what brand it is. If it's one of the main manufacturers then you should be able to contact them to order the part to eliminate your code issue. If you can't figure this out, post some pictures up and some of us might be able to figure it out for you. Worst case scenario is to contact Atlantic British, or Arnott and see if they would sell you the part.

2. You should be able to find front drive shaft easily, I know Rovers North carries them for the P38's and you might be able to get one from BP Utah, or Atlantic British, but I think Rovers North will still be your best bet.

3. The air compressor is going to keep making that noise until you get the part to trick the computer into thinking the eas is functioning correctly. If you want to, you can pull the unit from the truck and it won't make the noise anymore, or you can hook it up to a separate relay and switch to use it to inflate tires etc.

4. With the HVAC I'd try to find out where the system was disconnected, if you can't you might have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. Only thing I would worry about is that they might not have a guy familiar with the P38's and your butt might hurt after they give you the bill.

5. BP Utah should have the window motors, and the sunroof motors.

I'm going to be honest, this is definitely one of those trucks that it doesn't seem like the original owner took care of. Either that, or that or they just didn't mind having their dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It's going to cost you a couple of thousand dollars to square all this away, it will definitely be less if you are able to do some of the work yourself. Before you get to deep though you should try to price everything out and figure out your maximum budget for the truck. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

jhawk

Adventurer
Welcome to the club. Sounds like a decent Rover. You are going to have dozens of guys telling you how many things you have to fix, how it's going to cost you a bazillion dollars, and how you should have bought one with no issues. If you listen to the old guys on the forums, and use your head you'll have a sweet truck pretty quick, for a pretty low cost.

From my years of experience with Land Rovers they are always broken, but seldom broken down.

Jim

Jis4Jeep

Observer
Thanks guys ! I figured for $2g I have another 2 to put into for now I should b ok. I'll take pics of suspension tonight. I'm really excited for the challenge but most of all to have a really nice camping rig that I can actually put crap in( no more jeep). However I hate lights flashing and error codes so I'm a little uneasy. Thanks gonna tackle suspension a d hvac first.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've got a lot of family in the Winter Garden area, I make my way down there every few weeks so if you ever need a hand let me know.

Jis4Jeep

Observer
Will do!!!! Ive been driving it for the last few days and it drives like a charm. Found a little leak from the oil pan return line I guess looks like maybe o-ring or maybe just needs to be tighten up not really sure. I hate leaks!!! I do need some help with trailer light harness. Gonna research first before I post but can I tap into lights for standard US wiring harness.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I believe Atlantic British carries a kit, and bp Utah probably has the oem unit. The install isn't terribly difficult of you know how to work with your hands. On the L322 it took me about 2 hours to hook up mine.

Red90

Adventurer
If the front DS is off, that means the transfer case viscous coupling is most likely dead and will need to be fixed before running in 4WD again.

Last edited:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Your Range Rover has fulltime 4wd - so when you shifted it into 4wd I suspect you were actually shifting into low range or locking the diff. With the driveshaft removed, the PO destroyed the viscous coupler because it "thought" your front wheels were slipping like crazy and the fluid burned up (takes only a hundred miles or so to lock up a VC). Only thing to do is replace the VC. DO NOT install the front driveshaft and run on a dry paved road for very long with a locked up VC, you will blow CV's or shred your differential in short order.

EDIT - I am speaking from RRC experience, but I am 90% certain the P38 has the VC issue as well. Might wanna check rangerovers.net for confirmation

RangeBrover

Explorer
I doubt uhaul would have it, and the dealer will charge you a pretty penny. The wiring harness goes for around $340, I know Atlantic British sells an aftermarket one that is cheaper though. Just remember the trailer wiring harness kit also includes an ecu that needs to be installed in the trunk, so I don't think universal harnesses work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78