New to site, non traditional ideas perhaps?

Bigblue12v

I have a well equipped 96 Ram 3500 club cab, dually, 4x4, Cummins, yada yada, anyway, it is the tow rig. 30' tri axle tag trailer to pull the twin Comanche trail rigs on (me and my friend's).
The dodge is my daily driver, currently live 15 miles from work but in a month I will live only 4 miles away. My Comanche can be driven to work as needed as well, provided it isn't broken as quite possibly when returning from a trip. It is a Jeep, and as a trailered trail rig, it gets no mercy. Breakage is expected.

Neither rig really should qualify as an expedition rig per say, but I can find no other forum that is open to my thinking and that has good input. All my google searching sends me to threads here on ExPo. And I love almost every rig I see here.

I have a 9.5' SunLite Hideaway slide in truck camper, hard sided, non-pop up. I got it for a song and it needs the roof replaced. I am well capable of that repair. The initial idea was to repair it and use for staying in while on off roading trips. We always pitch camp with the tow rig as that's where our supplies are stationed and for security and peace of mind. Also, the bathrooms and facilities are near if need be. Our trips are only weekend trips due to our busy schedules this is usually all that is available. Sometimes it is just one night or occasionally two nights.

I also have a nice very clean sleek looking Leer 100XL? Fiberglass cab height cap, which I've had for years and appreciate certain things about it.

I recently sold my 33' travel trailer that had everything but washer, dryer and dishwasher and I must say something of that nature will spoil a person. So the truck camper is quite appealing, however for our basic overnight stays, it is also overkill I think. We do all our cooking as a group outside, and restroom facilities are often available. The refrigerator would be great to have and the furnace/ac options are nice also. I have mild asthma so breathing cold night air while asleep bothers me unfortunately. Not generally a problem during our wheeling season. The ac can be overlooked, only in bed during cooler night hours and don't have ample generator or shore power available anyway.

The space of a truck camper is appealing, for sleeping multiple people comfortably and a place to hangout should foul weather strike.

I hate tents, always a big hassle to setup, keep clean and pack away. Plus inevitably they will need setup and allowed to dry once home. Then you are packing gear in and out of tent, etc. just not my thing really. The truck camper would not allow much if any room for tools and spare parts. It is also large and heavy, adding more bulk and weight to an already large load. The truck is more than capable, with 14 ply 19.5" wheels and tires plus air bags on the rear. But admittedly, the combo of a truck camper plus a loaded 30' tag trailer probably could be a handful at times even if always doable.

To add to this, at work we have a height limit bar at the parking lot ( which is actually on the roof of the semi-underground facility, which has a 10,000# vehicle restriction but no height limitations other than the bars at entrances).
My truck would easily be pushing the 10k limit with camper, but can't get past the height bars. I wouldn't look forward to getting off work and loading camper then hooking and loading trailer before setting out on a trip. I could take the jeep yes, whilst the dodge is loaded and hooked. However, upon returning somewhat late from a trip with a broken jeep in tow, there may be a time crunch to get unhooked and unloaded and return to work in the dodge. A friend/coworker lives nearby to my new home and could pick me up, but lets not count on that everytime. I also would use any camping accommodations at diesel truck events I attend. I don't really make time for dedicated camping trips. I have three trailers at my disposal, a 12' utility, a 22' tilt deck car hauler, and the 30' tri axle, all are bumper pull, and I don't use the truck bed for much but small parts, tools and supplies, things that don't take much room. Anything bigger and its easier to grab a trailer.

For months I've been tossing around the idea of highly modifying the interior of the truck bed ( Fiberglass cap attached) to suit some basic over night camping. This would solve many issues. It greatly simplifies everything really. No height limit issues at work. No monstrous added bulk or weight. No hassle of loading and unloading. No major vision obstruction for daily driving or towing.

I have many spare camper parts, power converter, auto batteries, battery isolator, etc. I also have a old fiberglass "cowboy sleeper" or "quarter cap". It has a broken side window probably obsolete. If your not familiar with these, originally it is like a camper shell but only around 30" front to back. It has a bed trough that is sunk a few inches below the truck bed rail height, with a foam mattress pad to make it level with bed rails. You remove rear window of truck and install an accordion boot seal and crawl through the back window opening into the sleeper bunk.

My idea was to cut the bottom of this sleeper off of the rest of it and set it inside the front of the cap, leaving the front cap window in place and simply using this as a bed bunk in front of the cap. It's not as spacious as a queen air mattress but I don't require a ton of space and this frees up most of the bed for storage of supplies, parts, tools etc.
you would even have room under the bunk for storage. I would get some plywood and finish out the inside a little, at least to accomplish a smooth floor deck. Maybe get a linoleum flooring remnant to dress it up. My cap happens to be carpeted inside so that's a little fancier. Unfortunately it does have full length windows but had thought of making plywood walls inside to cover windows, this would potentially add more storage options as well as privacy and insulation. I could install an extra battery, isolator and power converter to have some power options. Some interior 12V lights and a fan or two (i have a couple 12V oscillating fans laying around actually). A 120V outlet wired through the breaker box already integrated in the power converter for powering a microwave via my portable generator or shore power if available by chance. This could be used for a small electric space heater as well. I have a 1,000W inverter already on the truck that could be worked into the mix as needed. Room to store personal stuff, a couple 3 gallon table top water totes w/spigots, Coleman camp stove, small charcoal grill, plenty of room for parts and tools, and likely even room for a guest to stay on a small air or foam mattress on the floor. I would love to make use of a 120V/12V/LP RV refrigerator and LP furnace but this poses many challenges in mounting them so they vent and exhaust gases and heat properly. A bit tough with a dually pickup bed, trying to keep a clean look without hacking it up or making it look like an RV. I want something low profile light weight, functional and clean looking. May have to stick with a cooler and electric space heater for rare times that heat will be needed.

My largest opposition with the bed cap is entry and exit is very cumbersome with the tailgate configuration. I wish it were a high rise cap with walk in rear door but one is not to be found used and not affordable new.

So it's not really an expedition rig but hoping you alls would be able to provide valuable input on my thinking. Very sorry the post is so long.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and constructive criticism! I would also appreciate any pictures of relevant material!

-Eric

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Welcome to ExPo. You seem to have thought things through in a big way, and have some good ideas and options. Where are you located? Climate makes a difference in what makes the best camp rig I find. The camper would be the most comfy option in almost every situation. Have you thought about a $500 car for the drive to work on the odd day you have the camper loaded? I know it adds another whole vehicle to the mix, but seems like a simple solution.

Nice looking dually!

Bigblue12v

Thanks,
South/central Indiana (US). Yes, i have been pondering this situation since last summer actually... The truck camper needs a few other repairs but the roof being the main thing. It's just a lot of added work, bulk, weight and upkeep for something that will be used so little. The bathroom in it would be used sparingly, the kitchen area almost never... It currently has no a/c unit. So essentially I'm lugging around extra 2,000 lbs just for two beds, a fridge and a furnace. While already having around 14,000 lbs tied to my receiver hitch behind an 8,000 lb truck. We don't go so far away that fuel consumption is a big concern and not much interstate driving typically. Plenty of stopping power, tugging power, and hopefully enough truck to handle OK. It just all seems like a lot of hassle for the limited use.

I have thought of buying a beater car but the added expense of insurance is a real buzz killer. I traded a $300 car for the Comanche (asking price on it was $2500). I wheel and deal in cars on the side.... Liability insurance for my Dodge is $64 a month and $55 a month for the '88 Comanche. Pretty much a ripoff to me! So I hate to add another to the mix for the tune of $1.75-2.00 per day when 2 of the 3 is guaranteed to sit at all times, and only one being driven 10 miles per day. Call me a tightwad but I hate paying for something I don't use :-/

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Given the updated info, it sounds like you just want a place to sleep out of the wind and off the ground. I now say go ahead and do a bunk in the cap. You don't need to cut up the sleeper. Just a piece of 3/4" plywood sitting on top of the bed rails with a center support should do it. Cut a nice comfy piece of foam and you're done. All the other stuff, lighting, heat, etc can be worked out as you have time.

Think on this... My Jeep costs $175 per month to insure. With the maximum discount too!

Bigblue12v

You are correct, as far as my desired need fulfillments.

The thing about the sleeper is, I don't think a replacement window can be had, and it offers a thin yet strong bed which is lower than the bed rails, but equal to bed rail height once a mattress is added, so you maximize the width ( widest inside width is just above bed rails inside the cap) I am 6' tall so this is crucial! Lol also cutting it apart saves fab time on bed bunk and gives me reason to throw away the rest of the sleeper. I'm a hoarder, I don't need a reason to keep that piece of junk laying around lol

I'm guessing your $175 / month is full coverage and that your jeep is worth a lot more than mine. Also guessing you live in a much different part of the country. Sorry to hear about your expenses. However I don't consider getting myself to work much of a privilege worth paying insurance and upkeep on a third vehicle....

I've found the cave explorers have taken a liking to camper shell camping so they offer some pictures for ideas....

Hoping the ExPo crowd has good ideas too! Hopefully more pics!

Thanks!

4x4junkie

Explorer
I would love to make use of a 120V/12V/LP RV refrigerator and LP furnace but this poses many challenges in mounting them so they vent and exhaust gases and heat properly. A bit tough with a dually pickup bed, trying to keep a clean look without hacking it up or making it look like an RV. I want something low profile light weight, functional and clean looking. May have to stick with a cooler and electric space heater for rare times that heat will be needed.

Have you looked at the new generation of portable freon-based 12V fridge/freezers? These things are very battery miserly (compared to those crappy Coleman thermoelectric coolers that'll drain your dual batteries overnight), they should easily run for 3 days to a week without starting the engine no problem, depending on the outside temperature.

I have an EdgeStar 43-qt unit (FP430) and its probably the best camping accessory I've ever bought.
If 43qt sounds small, remember there would be no ice in it, it's entire interior space is available to store your food (I can pack mine for 2 people for two weeks).
They also have a 63qt model that's no bigger footprint than the 43, just a little taller IIRC.

You might search thru the Camping Equipment section here, there's quite a bit of discussion about 12V fridges and the various brands (and price points).

Bigblue12v

Those sound pretty dang sweet! I've not been keeping up with 12V fridge tech and had no idea they had come that far! That's pretty awesome! I likely won't think the price is awesome but I shall go look one up now....
Also I like this, would be good to add a lil room and add convenience getting in and out of the truck bed, though a little pricey for what it is:
http://tentsonsuvs.com/truck_camper_top_tents.htm

Bigblue12v

Youch!!!! Just priced the fp430, that's hard to justify for my occasional use.... Well worth it in the long run but I would probably only go camping 6 times a year.

Bigblue12v

Found a aluminum contractor cap on Craigslist for my body style truck, white of course, it has nice ladder rack up top and locking side compartments, locking rear barn style doors, remove your tailgate completely. It is a few inches taller than the truck cab roof so some height to be gained and added security and privacy vs. my fiberglass unit. With the side storage I would lose inside width, but possibly remove the shelves and have opening solid side windows? Add some window screen and whalah?
This way perhaps I could gain back the inside cap width and stay with the bed configured across the front instead of making it lengthways. Not sure just some thoughts... Seems like it would work out pretty well. I would come out plenty of money ahead after selling my fiberglass cap and slide in camper.

Also I really like this guys ideas and work, its at least some inspiration in the direction I'm looking for...
http://www.tiny-house-living.com/small-truck-camper.html

Here's pics of the cap I found:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364390650.386566.jpg
u7ugave8.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364390660.187533.jpg

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Youch!!!! Just priced the fp430, that's hard to justify for my occasional use.... Well worth it in the long run but I would probably only go camping 6 times a year.

I think an RV fridge like what you mentioned would be just as much $$$ (if not more). Unless you have a line on a used one.
Refurbished EdgeStars occasionally pop up in the range of $250-350 on Compact-Appliance's Scratch & Dent page (you'll have to keep checking back there frequently), though IMO it's somewhat more of a gamble with one that might've possibly had a previous (repaired) problem.
I do think after a trip or 2 not having to deal with running after ice each trip, water-logged sandwiches and hamburger meat, and just the general messiness of an ice chest, you'll have no regrets having spent the money on one. :) (6 times a year is about how often I use mine, though once in awhile those those trips do extend out past a week or so)
There are some people however who do swear a cold one pulled out of a fridge doesn't have quite the same level of refreshment as one pulled from an ice chest that has a bunch of pieces of frozen slush still clinging to it. If you keep the fridge set right about 1° above freezing (and try to ignore the absence of the drippy pieces of ice), I think most can get past this caveat once realizing all of it's other benefits lol. :D

Bigblue12v

Yea I came to appreciate the joys of portable ice free refrigeration when I had my travel trailer. Amazing!!! Yea for a cold drink ice is best, but for food, cannot beat a fridge!

I already own an RV fridge :) paid $150 for the slide in camper. Won't break my heart to part it out :) or I could sell it as is needing repairs and put the money toward a 12V portable like your edgestar. Or fix it and sell it for substantial profit.

Thanks for that link!!!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site BigBlue and looks like you have a nice rig there. All us pic whores like myself love to see what people are doing with their rigs. Please keep us updated with anything you might think relevant. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger