New to the forum/2wd truck question

barndog

Hey every one I just bought a 1999 Starcraft pop up truck camper in excellent condition and man I am excited to use it. My truck is a 2000 dodge 2500 2wd ext. cab with an 8" bed. I just found your forum yesterday and have read hundreds of posts, and they have been very informative, however the one topic that I was looking for, I could not find. So my question is....how many of you folks take your campers offroad with 2wd trucks, and how has that worked out. I know that 4wd trucks are better for off roading, but I don't want to buy a new truck to get off the grid every now and then. Thanks and i hope that there will be some input to my question.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I don't have a camper on my truck. I think the prevailing wisdom around here is that a good driver can most places in 2wd that most of us feel we need 4wd for. The important thing is to get out there and enjoy.

And post pictures. Yeah, you got to post pictures.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The important thing is to get out there and enjoy.

And post pictures. Yeah, you got to post pictures.

x2

Good tires will help a lot. And if you start getting into the rough stuff you could look at a rear locking differential. I have often thought a 2wd truck with a locking rear diff could do most things I use my 4wd for.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Also look at carrying a simple traction aid like waffleboards or maxtraxs just in case you do get stuck. Combined with a good jack they will get you out of a lot of tough places.

Remember, many of the trucks that carry people and supplies across the Sahara desert are not 4x4. So you can take your truck to a lot of places, you just need to be a bit more careful on the tricky parts of the trail.

Some trails of course require either 4x4 or a winch, but chances are most people wont take a big truck and camper down those trails anyway.

Take your truck out with a friend who is experienced with trail recovery, and see for yourself what your truck will and wont do. Confidence in your abilities and practical knowledge of your vehicles limitations are key here. Consider taking a course from a good expedition/4x4 instructor. There are a few here on the forum. Maybe even do a road-trip up to the Overland Rally in VT at the end of the month. www.overlandrally.com

And above all, have fun!

Cheers

Ray

pods8

Explorer
2wd and good tires do a lot considering the weight also sitting on the rear axle. Most forest roads, etc. are just fine in 2wd. Steep loose stuff is where 4wd is nicer. Rutty/muddy/snowy stuff is more obvious to avoid than steep/loose in my mind.

Main perk of 4wd is hardly needing it but if you're slipping to just turn in on/throw the handle and drive out of the situation most of the time rather than resorting to getting a 2wd unstuck.

All that said you roll with what you got.

barndog

new to forum/2 wd

I haven't been able to figure out how to post pictures and my wife just left to go up north for 3 days. when she gets back I will ask for her help. I spent last weekend going through the camper cleaning and checking things out, and I am pleased to say that every thing works just as the PO said. The camper on a scale of 1 - 10 is an 8cosmetically, and I found no rot. I resealed all seams and running lights , that is a job that takes a lot of time if you do it right! The structure is made of wood but it is also laminated which makes it very strong. I hope that (and beleive that it will) it will hold up to light off road camping.

barndog

new to forum/2 wd

I almost forgot to mention that my truck has an anti - slip differential and a 6 speed manual transmission. I think that with granny gear and anti slip that I may have an edge on just a staight 2wd truck for light off-roading, any in put is appreciated. THANKS

adam88

Explorer
It really just depends where you are headed. On flat paved roads, a 2wd with weight over the rear tires and limited slip will perform fine, even in the snowiest of conditions. In fact, 2wd can actually help in these situations. It's going up hills where 4x4 comes in handy, and also off-road. Since you already have a 2wd though, the answer is really simple... drive it and see if you like it. You can always sell it later and buy a 4x4.

derekparr

Observer
I've driven 2wd trucks through some pretty rough tracks that were marked for 4wd when traveling in South America and largely it is about taking it slow. Although when you are going through slippery conditions like mud/ice/snow you will want to put in some extra speed before hitting the slippery stuff (if you can) and come in on it as straight as possible to compensate for the lack of traction that you may or may not encounter.

lstzephyr

wanderer
As long as you have some sort of limited slip/locker and sufficient clearance you will be just fine. I rarely if ever put my truck in 4wd unless there is deep sand/snow. Normally it gets anywhere I want to take 4 tons of truck in 2wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger