New to the forum... Quick question

mmm...beer

Love the forum, have been drooling over trailer builds and truck mods for a few months. Just traded my 04 xterra in on a brand new 2013 x. My question: taking the fam to Yellowstone from CLE on Friday. Will be pulling a small trailer with camping gear and mounting a roof top cargo carrier on top of the trailer to free up the cargo area in the truck. We had planned on folding down the back seats for the kids (16, 13 and 9) to stretch out a bit once we hit the Great Plains. On my old x, the seat backs were carpet and pretty rigid. The new one is very plasticy and feels like a knee might crack the plastic seat backing easily. Who has experience sleeping in the back of a 2nd gen with the plastic seat backs and is it rigid enough to handle my 200 lb 16 year old son?

Thanks all. I can't wait to start adding miles to my new x. The last one saw much of this beautiful country and I know I'll have great memories in this one for many years.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Well, the seat backs will hold them. I've not had the back seats bottoms in there for somewhere around 4 years. I've packed the dog, lots of gear, and other stuff for normal road trips. Secondly, when I heat out to Moab, I've got a whole large gear package (complete with tools, spare parts, a sleeping platform, and like such as) and I've not had a problem.

My biggest concern with this is safety. Are you planning on driving with the kids not belted in? If so, I can't endorse that. I realize we all did it when we were kids, but I'm pretty sure it'll end up breaking some laws as well as not being particularly safe.

mmm...beer

Thanks for the response.

Not when driving, only when at rest stops instead if having to lean on each other. One in the middle gets stuck without a head rest and folding the seats down will let him grab a few peaceful winks. He draws the short straw because he has the short legs.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a fun trip, Its been a decade since I've been to Yellowstone. Post up a trip report.

mmm...beer

Trip was a blast. Saw a ton of wildlife. Ended up keeping the seats upright... Tried laying down myself and didn't feel there was enough room for all three to stretch out. Scratched the hell out of the plastic anyway moving gear around... Guess she's broken in now lol.
ahydete3.jpg

Loaded it up nicely. Have to process pics then will get a few up. Thanks all for the pointers. Can't wait to pay off this vaca so I can start dumping cash into the x!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears