NEW TO THE MITSU | NOT TO THE SITE | 2000 MONTERO SPORT LS

fuzemagazine

Observer
Hey Everyone! I just purchased a 2000 Montero Sport LS here in south GA. I have looked thru 55 pages of the group (didn't read everything though) and used the search tool to try to narrow down some questions I had but I figured I'd make my own post and hopefully someone familiar w/my model could assist or link me. I like that you guys have the stickys and I'm sure you're planning on expanding that. One last thing, I'm new to 4x4's and off-roading so I am not familiar w/a lot of terminology... I'll get it eventually though! Google is my friend (sometimes).

1. Besides ARB, are there any other American companies making Bumper & brush Guards/bumpers for my model?
2. What's a good size A/T tire for my factory 16's with factory suspension? I read so many posts that I should've saved (sorry).
3. Tire carrier manufacturer after upsizing?

That's all for now. Thanks for all the info already posted!
10346202_10153196631806963_6705097552221611095_n.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
Welcome to the forum man!

Truck looks good!

Im not so certain anyone else other than ARB makes a bumper for your rig...I could be wrong though.

For tires, I think 285/75/16 can be fit without any modifications, lift etc...

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Hey Everyone! I just purchased a 2000 Montero Sport LS here in south GA. I have looked thru 55 pages of the group (didn't read everything though) and used the search tool to try to narrow down some questions I had but I figured I'd make my own post and hopefully someone familiar w/my model could assist or link me. I like that you guys have the stickys and I'm sure you're planning on expanding that. One last thing, I'm new to 4x4's and off-roading so I am not familiar w/a lot of terminology... I'll get it eventually though! Google is my friend (sometimes).

1. Besides ARB, are there any other American companies making Bumper & brush Guards/bumpers for my model?
2. What's a good size A/T tire for my factory 16's with factory suspension? I read so many posts that I should've saved (sorry).
3. Tire carrier manufacturer after upsizing?

That's all for now. Thanks for all the info already posted!
View attachment 280788

1. No, and the ARB front bumper isn't even for the 2000+ models. You have to cut your grill to fit. There are brush guards but they are a complete waste of time, money, weight.
2. 265/75r16. Fit with no lift, 238/85's also work if you want narrow. I wouldn't go bigger unless you are rock crawling. As mention 285's do fit though.
3. None but it is possible to swap the carrier over from a prior sport with the offroad package. Takes some work but nothing insane.

hove102

Adventurer
^^^^ What they said! Good to see a fellow Monty Sport owner on the forum.

1. ARB doesn't make any, BUT if you're willing to do a little digging, the bumpers from the 2000+ on Mitsubishi Triton pickup will fit since the grille is the same shape on those. However, you're going to have to order one from another country and shipping will most likely be a giant pain/drain on your wallet.
2. Everyone says 33"s will fit with no lift. I would assume your truck has the 3.5L V6 and the 4.9 axle gears so I'm sure 33"s wouldn't be too noticeable with regard to power loss. With the 3.0L V6 and the 4.636 rear axle gears, I definitely wouldn't go any bigger than 31" on my truck purely because it'd be pretty gutless. (If you want to know what gears your truck has in it, look on the firewall tag, or crawl under your truck and look at the sticker on the rear axle. Yours might even have the factory limited-slip rear differential! :drool: )
3. Have you looked into a Tiregate that goes into your hitch receiver? It's not quite as factory-looking as one from a '97-99 Sport, but they seem to work well and you're only limited by the design of the Tiregate. Or, if you're of the fab-it-yourself persuasion, you can always build your own. The best part is that you won't have to drill any holes in your rear 3/4 panel to mount it.

fuzemagazine

Observer
Thanks Fellas! Good info! I figured as much as nothing was turning up for the bumper. Might need to find a fab student at the local tech college lol! I am tracking down exactly which model I have too. I posted in another post that my placard says K96. As for the Tiregate, not yet... but I will now!

fuzemagazine

Observer
Ok so now that I know I don't have a "real" Montero (lol)... curious if the common valve gasket & seal problems and the like still apply? I notice this one has oil just behind the alternator but I'm not sure if it's old or new. The guy I bought it from last week said he had the valve cover gasket changed and that service should've fixed the problem because he'd replaced the alternator twice before realizing that there was a common problem w/these. Confused. Also, my ABS light comes on when I stop so I know I need to service the brakes as well as find an inner fender cover for the passenger side.

hove102

Adventurer
From what I've read, yes...the engines are still the same, so the same leaks still apply (valve stem seals, cam seals, etc.). The easiest way to tell if the oil is old or new is to touch it and see if it still looks brown like fresh oil or darker, like oil that's been sitting for a while. Hopefully you'll have good luck finding an inner fender cover! I would start calling junkyards now, and when you do make the distinction that you have a a Montero SPORT, not a full-size Montero...otherwise you'll waste a lot of time. :(

And don't listen to the haters...these things are just as much a Montero as the full-size ones are! Japanese reliability and underrated capability in a simple wrapper. In other parts of the world these things are regarded as serious off-road rigs. You made a good choice. :cool::safari-rig:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ok so now that I know I don't have a "real" Montero (lol)... curious if the common valve gasket & seal problems and the like still apply? I notice this one has oil just behind the alternator but I'm not sure if it's old or new. The guy I bought it from last week said he had the valve cover gasket changed and that service should've fixed the problem because he'd replaced the alternator twice before realizing that there was a common problem w/these. Confused. Also, my ABS light comes on when I stop so I know I need to service the brakes as well as find an inner fender cover for the passenger side.

ABS light coming on and off can also mean and issue with the alternator or the 4wd system. The rear cam seals leaked on these just the same as the Montero. Mine has had the updated part for 60k miles and they are still dry. I have recently developed a transmission pan seep and a power steering seep but the engine is leak free. Ebay is a good place to find parts as well. A lot of times if you see a Sport part on there you can call the seller and get other parts.

fuzemagazine

Observer
From what I've read, yes...the engines are still the same, so the same leaks still apply (valve stem seals, cam seals, etc.). The easiest way to tell if the oil is old or new is to touch it and see if it still looks brown like fresh oil or darker, like oil that's been sitting for a while. Hopefully you'll have good luck finding an inner fender cover! I would start calling junkyards now, and when you do make the distinction that you have a a Montero SPORT, not a full-size Montero...otherwise you'll waste a lot of time. :(

And don't listen to the haters...these things are just as much a Montero as the full-size ones are! Japanese reliability and underrated capability in a simple wrapper. In other parts of the world these things are regarded as serious off-road rigs. You made a good choice. :cool::safari-rig:

Thanks! Yeah it's fresh oil. I checked prior to checking this post today after seeing a small puddle on my driveway about the 3". There are two at the local yard (I'm in a small city) but neither has motor/inner-fenders but one has a trailer hitch but it's kinda ugly... we'll see.

fuzemagazine

Observer
ABS light coming on and off can also mean and issue with the alternator or the 4wd system. The rear cam seals leaked on these just the same as the Montero. Mine has had the updated part for 60k miles and they are still dry. I have recently developed a transmission pan seep and a power steering seep but the engine is leak free. Ebay is a good place to find parts as well. A lot of times if you see a Sport part on there you can call the seller and get other parts.

Interesting! Hopefully it's just the brakes! Thanks for the info. What's the updated part???

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ya the cam seal is an updated part number. If you ask for the rear cam seal from Mitsu it will be the updated part.

For the leak you need to clean off the area really well and then look for the leak. Its impossible to tell where it is coming from in that condition as the fan/wind blow oil everywhere.

fuzemagazine

Observer
That kinda looks like a head gasket...at least based on where the oil is in that bottom photo. I believe the updated part Pirate was referring to was an updated-design cam seal since the earlier ones are flawed in some way. Big puddles definitely mean bad news.

Ok. Great! I will head over to Mitsu and have them check it out before going to a local mechanic. The puddle was smaller than my fist and I've only seen it once so hopefully I still have time. lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger