New to the site.. Have a few Questions!

LS1matt

Hey Guys / Gals. A friend told me about this site as I will be going on my first "expedition" in May. Plans are to Head out of home (Houston TX) and go to Rocky Mt, Yellowstone, Moab and a few others along the way. I recently got out of the car / racing world and ready for something new.

I currently own a 92 Yota PU on ProComp MT's, which now I let my dad drive to keep miles of his vehicles and my daily now is a 08 Silverado 4X4 1500 Ex Cab with a 6" lift on 35" PC AT's.

Only real off roading I have done is at local off road parks around town and of course at the deer lease / Ranch. (And yes my truck does see dirt, not just pavement!!!)

Basically I was wondering of any DO's / Dont's / tips / tricks you guys with bigger trucks can share. (or anyone for that matter)

Already added a bed cover, truck tent, full size spare and most of the other goodies!

I am currently working on a few additions to the truck (building my own light bars and spare tire swing gate / hitch)

Thanks!

PS.. I am EXTREMELY excited after looking at some pics on this forum!

jcbrandon

Explorer
...any DO's / Dont's / tips / tricks you guys with bigger trucks can share. (or anyone for that matter)

Welcome aboard.
My advice?
-It's not about the equipment; it's about the experience.
-If you're smiling, it's a good day.
-If you like it, it's good.
-If it breaks, it wasn't a bargain.
-Have fun, stay safe, and get home. Everything else is just details.

Seriously, lots of good advice in this community. And always glad to see somebody else in a full-size truck.

jh504

Explorer
Welcome to the sight! Fullsize trucks are great. I would love to have the room you have in a fullsize. If you dont already have one, I would suggest a good camera, and take lots of photos! That is a lot of the focus on our trips.

jh504

Explorer
Thats awesome!!! i cant wait, Do you all think a full size is ok ( not too big) for the main trails at the national parks?

I am not familiar with the park roads where you are going. I will say that here in GSMNP a fullsize will fit fine on all of the main dirt roads. Once you get into the national forest it is mostly logging roads and if they have been kept up you would be fine with a fullsize. Where you run into trouble is those trails that branch off from the main roads, they can get narrow quick. it is usually brush that you have to worry about here though and not the actual narrowness of the road. Since most of these trails were made when a fullsize 4x4 or a log truck was about the only thing that was going down them anyway. I would suggest carrying a machete or some type of hedge clippers, because your paint job looks nice and you could get some pinstripes.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Welcome to a great site. I just found it recently and have learned a lot. A great group of people here.:smiley_drive:

Radio

Observer
There is a ton of good stuff on here. Have fun and when I come to pull you out, we will share a few laughs! (or, you pull me out, or, I will hook onto you and pull me in with you!)

Lichen

Explorer
I'm new here too, and it is a great place! From your name (LS1), I take it you also have a C5 or C6? My '93 C4 is gathering dust in the carport. Off-roading is relatively cheaper and more fun.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Basically I was wondering of any DO's / Dont's / tips / tricks you guys with bigger trucks can share. (or anyone for that matter)

Make sure you have a jack that will lift that beast high enough to change a tire off road. I'm guessing the factory jack will not.

LS1matt

I'm new here too, and it is a great place! From your name (LS1), I take it you also have a C5 or C6? My '93 C4 is gathering dust in the carport. Off-roading is relatively cheaper and more fun.

3 Camaros (sold now), I am hoping it is cheaper!!

Do you all think a full size is ok ( not too big) for the main trails at the national parks?

In Rocky Mountain National Park you will not be at a disadvantage. You will be able to go anywhere that motorized vehicle traffic is allowed. You could negotiate the roads in RMNP (when they are open) in a standard passenger car. I would suggest you add a fire extinguisher and a good first aid kit and hope that you never need either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle