New TPMS

millerfish

Adventurer
I am replacing the alloy wheels on my 14 Tacoma with steel wheels. I have a set of sensors that came from a 14 Tacoma with steel wheels. Will the truck recognize these? What is the process to set up new sensors?

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I've been looking at some different wheels and also looking a little at the TPMS sensors to see if they would fit or need to be changed and what it looks like that I've found is that there are two types for Toyota vehicles. It's like a 20* sensor for all the alloy Toyota wheels and then a 40* sensor for the Toyota steel wheels. The alloy type can be swapped from all alloy wheels and the steel can be used with all the steel wheels, but they can't be used from alloy to steel or steel to alloy. (*=degree and I'm going from memory on the numbers for these.)

millerfish

Adventurer
According to everything I have found that is all correct. What I am wondering is will the truck recognize the signal from a different sensor? Or does it need to be programed to acknowledge the new signal?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you are swapping sensors they will have to be reprogrammed. I believe it is the sensor that gets reprogrammed and not the truck but I may be wrong on that. Are you sure you have to swap though? I went from alloys on my 4runner to FJC Steelies and they were able to swap the sensors from the alloys to the steelies with no problem. I presume most any tire shop can do the swap/reprogram since they sell the sensors there too. My local Discount Tire did mine.

millerfish

Adventurer
Thanks Martinjmpr
That's exactly what I am doing except 16" steelies.
I was told by one shop that they would not do it and another said they would. Reason being is with the different angle the become more susceptible to damage by the tire machine. I already have the extra sensors just wondering how much headache/$$$ this reprogramming is gonna be...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks Martinjmpr
That's exactly what I am doing except 16" steelies.
I was told by one shop that they would not do it and another said they would. Reason being is with the different angle the become more susceptible to damage by the tire machine. I already have the extra sensors just wondering how much headache/$$$ this reprogramming is gonna be...

On mine they were able to look it up on their computer and determine that the sensors were compatible. I actually had one that failed right after they swapped it so I took it back to them and they replaced it for free. I presume that if you have to buy new sensors they'll program them for you as part of the cost. It's really not that expensive, I think, even if you have to buy new ones.

cthonia

If you are swapping sensors they will have to be reprogrammed. I believe it is the sensor that gets reprogrammed and not the truck but I may be wrong on that. Are you sure you have to swap though? I went from alloys on my 4runner to FJC Steelies and they were able to swap the sensors from the alloys to the steelies with no problem. I presume most any tire shop can do the swap/reprogram since they sell the sensors there too. My local Discount Tire did mine.

its actually the truck getting reprogrammed, not the sensors. each sensor has a unique id code, the truck has to be told which codes to look for. also, if your truck has the factory tpms reset button under the dash, do not push this after changing sensors until the truck has had the new sensors programmed to it, or it will crash the tpms system (generally only the dealer can fix this)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears