New Trailer and water sources

Ok.... So I have recently picked up a new to me Tentrax. It is not nearly on the same level as the AT Horizon that I used to own but that was also part of the plan. I needed a smaller lighter rig and I am also in a budget. My issue now is water storage. The Tentrax has plenty of rack space so I've looked at Scepter and LCI 5 gallon cans and while the price is attractive, using them seems to be a pain in the ***. Rather than slinging around 5 gallons of water each time I'm setting camp, I'm wonder what folks have done for leaving the cans in place and either using a pump, pressurized air or some sort of spigot. Let's see some solutions! bTW... Fuel will be handled with Rotpax so that issue is solved. Thanx.

Omg it's robert j. yates! :D:D:D Do you still have your TJ or your diesel GC? :smiley_drive: Nice to see someone from old JU TJ forum here.

I thought you guys in California don't have any water any more??? :D:D:D

-Rick from IL :wavey:

With the smaller trailer, why don't you pack the water low and on the spine of the trailer, like a backpack, instead of up on the rack.

If you use several of the 6L/1.5gal platypus tanks:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bottles-and-storage/platy-water-tank/product

...you can put them low and stuff them in more odd shaped spaces than a big ol' brick of H2O. Pull them out of the trailer as you need them. When you are done with the water they are collapsible, unlike hard sided tanks, so you gain storage space as the trip proceeds (and you can continue packing the heaviest stuff lower and lower in the trailer with the water gone). And if you need to hike to find a water source they weigh nothing empty and could be stuffed in a pocket.

I have 5 gal tanks too, but really always prefer my soft-sided backpacking gear because the bladders will morph to fit just about anywhere, and pack to nothing as you use the water.

fast_suv

Adventurer
on my trailer i have a 21 gal water tank on the plate on the tongue:
water.jpg

like this one:
21 gal tank

and runs to a small sureflow pump like on this DIY:
JK Water Storage bumper DIY

I'd bet you could grab one of those pumps and wire up something to use with a few Scepter cans... I'm going to run a second line with a shut off valve to pull out and stick in the Scepter cans when the mast tank runs dry...

I have also used the MSR Dromedary bags in the past. Similar attributes as the Platypus but tougher and there is a 10L/2.6gal version:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/storage/dromedary-bags/product

There are also a whole bunch of attachements, spigots, and filters: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/accessories/category

There is even a gravity shower kit: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/accessories/shower-kit/product

The other nice thing about these is that you can chuck them in the freezer before a trip, which you cannot do with the hard-sided carriers, meaning they can double as your cooler packs on the way to your destination, also saving space. I have heard you can also directly heat and boil water directly in the bag but never tried it myself.

Last edited:
Omg it's robert j. yates! :D:D:D Do you still have your TJ or your diesel GC? :smiley_drive: Nice to see someone from old JU TJ forum here.

I thought you guys in California don't have any water any more??? :D:D:D

-Rick from IL :wavey:

LOL.....I'm still around and yes, still have the TJ and a diesel Grand only it's now a 2014 Ecodiesel as I sold the 08 CRD.

I'm going to mostly pull the Tentrax with the TJ so space is an issue as I am still trying to decide where to mount the fridge freezer. The Tentrax has a very nice rack up against the tub which would be great for water and fuel but would leave the fridge freezer exposed to theft. Weight on the rack is not an issue since the Tentrax is so light.

I understand wanting to mount stuff low but I also want volume available for when my wife is with me. I have a sure flow pump mounted in an ammo can with disconnects and this is for use with the heat exchanger I plumbed in line with my heater hoses for a hot shower. I suppose it would also work for the cans but I have been known to drop the shower intake into a stream so there is that to consider.

My Horizon had a great little hand pump on top of the 19 gallon tank which was very handy so something like that mounted to the can lid would be ideal.

Appreciate all of the replies so far!

on my trailer i have a 21 gal water tank on the plate on the tongue:
View attachment 242541

like this one:
21 gal tank

and runs to a small sureflow pump like on this DIY:
JK Water Storage bumper DIY

I'd bet you could grab one of those pumps and wire up something to use with a few Scepter cans... I'm going to run a second line with a shut off valve to pull out and stick in the Scepter cans when the mast tank runs dry...

Nice trailer and I appreciate the lead on the tank. The 16 gallon size might be something I'm interested in but I have a question. How do these hold up to the elements? Mine would be exposed to light, dirt and whatnot. Thanx.

fast_suv

Adventurer
So far mine looks good to go... I have only had the trailer a month or so but the guy I got it from had a few years of hard use and it's perfectly fine... I'll get the exact brand/part number off of it tonight. The exact brand/model on mine is actually made for under an Rv so it's pretty rugged

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears