New trailer build M116A3!

marcovgv

I purchased this M116A3 trailer some time ago and it is now time to start the build. I have a fairly unique idea for the box.the box will be made by joining two jobox sloped lid onsite storage boxes(60x30x37each). I picked the sloped lid jobox because since the camping lab tent (74x95 size) will be ontop of the boxes supported by a tube structure, I will still be able to open the boxes and access from the sides. The tube structure that the tent will be mounted to will be welded to the boxes. This will make the entire box/tent structure removable via forklift, and I can store it in my warehouse when i have to use the trailer as a flat bed. All ideas and comments welcome. Let me know what you guys think. only downside is that it is a little big.

IMG00483.jpg

the bed measures 96x74 inches

IMG00507.jpg

these are two jobox sloped lid construction site boxes I picked up cheap locally. the boxes measure L60xW30xH37. 300 dollars for both and they delivered it to my warehouse!

IMG00509.jpg

IMG00508.jpg

IMG00506.jpg

IMG00505.jpg

85CUCV

Adventurer
That will be one stout trailer. Might be heavy for some. I like it. Do you plan to cut the boxes and fit them around the fenders?

edit
I read your post again. It might start getting top heavy if the boxes are on a tube stand to keep them above the fenders.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

marcovgv

I am going to cut the fenders and slide the boxes between them. Even after i cut the fenders there is more than enough space between the tire and fender.

marcovgv

hahaha you know I had not thought about that. We dont have bear issues here in florida but I did have an close call in the smokey mountains a couple of years ago. The boxes are meant to keep things from being stolen so I guess the new 86qt fridge will go inside and stay safe.

marcovgv

One more thing i decided on this morning. I was originally going to keep the feet on the boxes, but after some nifty work with my plasma cutter they are gone. this shaved 4 inches off the total height and I can now reach into them when on the trailer and reach the bottom.

I have also decided to line-X these boxes inside and out the same color as my truck, this should make them more quiet and tough. right now they echo like a dumpster when you toss something in them. Before I get them sprayed with bedliner I have to weld them together to make them one solid unit. more pics to come.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Before I get them sprayed with bedliner I have to weld them together to make them one solid unit.

Are you going to cut out the backs to make one big interior space? Might save on some weight. Just thinking out loud. Not trying to make more work for you:Wow1:

Great idea for the trailer BTW.

marcovgv

thats a great idea,. if i make one big interior space i could even fit a bike in there with the tires removed. I think thats the way to go.

Airborne Lee

Observer
No bears, how about hurricane shelter?

What is the metal thickness? Attaching them to the trailer seems a concern to me. Will you weld or just bolt? You might consider a C or L channel on the inside to bolt through…

If you cut out the back leave an inch or more from the edge for strength! Then you can bolt the two boxes together with a foam rubber gasket between for removal.

marcovgv

If i remove the backs to make one big compartment I would have to leave a 1 inch lip on the inside which i would seal with a silicon type seal. I would rather weld the boxes together than just bolt them.

In reference to how to secure the boxes to the trailer. I want to use bolts. I would weld in a backing plate to reinforce the sheet metal inside the boxes where the bolts would pass through. I think that 8 grade 8 bolts should be more than enough to hold this box in place. the only issue i see is that when removing and mounting the box on the bed to line up the bolt holes will be a PITA. maybe I can have 4 tubes on the bottom of the box that fit in to 4 slots on the trailer bed, just like how they mount 40 foot containers on the trailers they ride on. this would add to the overall rigidity and also safer than just depending on bolts.

davegonz

Explorer
Yeah, weld them together and cut out the interior wall. You could probably even make a nice rear door as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998