New transmisson

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I'm taking a stabbing guess here because I have never seen the inside of a manual transmission...but...
I've been driving with a whacked out synchro now for about 2 months and it always grinds into 2nd. I'm sure 2nd gear is gonna have some kind of damage to it. Does a basic rebuild include new gears too?

Its bearings. The bearings wear out and allow the shaft to walk forward. For the syncro to work it needs to be tight otherwise the gear meshing into it does not put enough drag onto the gear to match speed.

Wow the prices really came up since I did my W58. Bearing kit, gaskets and syncros( that I didn't need after learning about end play) was around $220. Bought a 12 ton press and a set of gear pullers from Harbor Freight. SO the total was around $380 including the tools. :smiley_drive:

What to do to help prevent this DO NOT LET IT RUN LOW. the front input bearings are above the fluid level If it runs low not enough oil get slung up from the lower gears to keep it lubed. High engine RPM aggravates the issue. Gear the truck to near factory so you are not having to drive in 4th on the hwy at 3500RPM.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I'm beginning to think I'm just going to rebuild this sucker myself. I've never cracked one open before, so... What kind of tools do I need to put it back together?
Reaper, you mentioned a 12-ton press and a set of gear pullers?

Also, every rebuild kit I find is mostly just a basic kit. What kind of a kit would include gears? I'm pretty sure my 2nd gear is going to have some damage to it.

AndrewP

Explorer
I'm beginning to think I'm just going to rebuild this sucker myself. I've never cracked one open before, so... What kind of tools do I need to put it back together?
Reaper, you mentioned a 12-ton press and a set of gear pullers?

Also, every rebuild kit I find is mostly just a basic kit. What kind of a kit would include gears? I'm pretty sure my 2nd gear is going to have some damage to it.

I don't know about a Taco, the the Cruiser transmission I did was strangely easy. the hard part is pulling the bearings out of the counter shaft and dropping the counter shaft down into the case.

I'll be the gear will look fine, but the syncro or shifter collar may be worn out.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I don't know about a Taco, the the Cruiser transmission I did was strangely easy. the hard part is pulling the bearings out of the counter shaft and dropping the counter shaft down into the case.

I'll be the gear will look fine, but the syncro or shifter collar may be worn out.

Will standard rebuild kits come with new synchros, shifter collars, bearings and all that good stuff?

AndrewP

Explorer
That won't help me, will it?

Hard to say, since you don't know what's wrong with it. New syncros are available. Once the tranny is broken down, replacing them is trivially easy. Can you drop out the tranny and remove the top cover? then it will be easier to decide what you need. My bet is bearings and a syncro or two.

I opened a cruiser transmission on Wednesday of this past week that had 180k on it and the gears and the syncros looked new. Don't write yours off too quick.

The bad news is that wear on the mainshaft can only be remedied with a new mainshaft, and those are pretty expensive. That's where Marlin's expertise would pay for itself.

Does the Minitruck transmission have a plastic shifter seat? If so, replace that before you do anything else. In the Cruiser world many transmissions have been scrapped or rebuilt when the only problem was a worn shifter seat. It's a $5 part.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well I believe I have found my solution.
I have located a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 v6 5spd transmission with 3200 miles on it for $600 and shipping is $150.
Rebuild estimates where $1000-1700 but they would take off $300 if I pulled it and brought it to them.

$750 for a brand new transmission or $700-1400 for a rebuild which will not include every piece. Hmm... :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12