New truck cap design available on Fords.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not my cup of tea on the Fords, but on an H1 Hummer? Hell yes. Love the slant back on those

H2 is even better!

sg_800.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Those Aerocaps have been available for 5+ years in China, Hypickup makes them for Rams with the 5.5' bed as well as Nissan and Mitsubishi pickups

They have been popular in Australia for awhile now, yeah?

ARB even has one.

Know the hypermile crowd likes them...couple few have built their own.

member-a8ksh4-albums-camper-shell-continued-again-picture5148-dscn0704.jpg

Untitled-2-2.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting design. I see it more as an alternative to a hard tonneau cover vs an alternative to a topper.

But I also see a lot of wasted space. You can't carry large items in the bed and you can't put a rack on top of it. And I'll bet it's pretty heavy because that looks like thick fiberglass (I've said elsewhere that I think there is a market for a modular topper that one person could install or remove but apparently "the industry" doesn't think that idea's time has come yet.)

Might be viable for someone who just hates the boxy look of a topper but still wants to carry gear protected and locked but I don't see it having much traction with truck buyers.

People who hate toppers/shells (and there are a lot of them) will just run an open bed or a tonneau cover most likely.

Still, I like to see innovation in the truck market, even if it's an innovation I don't personally care for. It's nice to see people coming up with new solutions to old problems.

F350joe

Conclusion... it’s kind of like the motorsailer of the truck cap world. Where the motorsailer does not motor well nor sail well.

While open it does look to have about as much space as a full shell. I don’t like shells for the reason mentioned above, poor visibility. Loved the cap on my old Toyota, nobody could see what I had In there, I could throw a tarp over it and sleep in it, and just close it up while out hiking for the day and not worry about critters or weather.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Seems like you get all the down sides of a full camper shell but none of the benefits. Kills visibility, can't get to anything in the bed, but still can't fit any more in the bed than you do under a hard tonneau like the one on the Shelby pickup above.
My thoughts exactly. Pass. I don't care for the looks either. I'd prefer either a folding tonneau or a canopy. I've seen a black and white HT3 around here a few years back that had one.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have much envy for the Aussies but I gotta put these in the same list as Vegemite. Maybe, just maybe, for aerodynamics if I'm being charitable.
That's saying a lot. When I was there the Aussies had a blast handing me a piece of toast with Vegemite on it. Yuk. The shell looks like it came out of Batman movies.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
They might get upset. Those 5' beds are basically open air trunks, so the fast back topper is fitting. For the guy who wanted who wanted a Mustang, but thought "yan know, the Mustang is really a chick car...what will people think of me? I need a big bulbous truck with a massive grill that will never see dirt...ahhhh, much better for the ego...and hun, it still kinda looks like a Mustang, schweeeet!"

Now, they might get mad for making fun of them....but if they bite their lip, and be tough, insults should roll right off that fast back, like water off a duck's back... :D

Next is the front clip conversion. Yahoo!

96e7e89728e0274f90c58c0b3b3994cb.jpg

someone did that with a gross early 2000s mustang on a ranger- including grafting in the face side vents- it hurt my eyes

Machinebuilder

While it’s not something I would buy, I’m not seeing the hate for it.

When you look at all the crew cab super short bed trucks that never get used for anything truck like why not put that on, it’s still better that the one piece tonneau cover that completely hinders using the bed.

I think it might look good on a lowered 2wd regular cab shortbed (thinking Ford lightning)...............oh right good luck finding one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

F350joe

While it’s not something I would buy, I’m not seeing the hate for it.

When you look at all the crew cab super short bed trucks that never get used for anything truck like why not put that on, it’s still better that the one piece tonneau cover that completely hinders using the bed.

I think it might look good on a lowered 2wd regular cab shortbed (thinking Ford lightning)...............oh right good luck finding one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Same people hating on it are probably sitting on the porch yelling at the kids to get off their lawn. I think you nailed it though, it will probably work for a vast majority of truck owners. The haters will come around when they see a Skottle and rotopacs strapped to it, trasharoo would leak all over the rear window.

Wallygator

Adventurer
This has to be one of the dumbest t
Same people hating on it are probably sitting on the porch yelling at the kids to get off their lawn. I think you nailed it though, it will probably work for a vast majority of truck owners. The haters will come around when they see a Skottle and rotopacs strapped to it, trasharoo would leak all over the rear window.

Doubtful. But It's great for Raptor owners. Can't use that thing as a truck anyways and most buy it for looks so, perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle