New trucks and 4low...

ChinaLakePW

Is it possible to overheat an auto? .. yes, but you have to try... and you would have to pay far less attention to the temp on hot and steep than you do almost every moment in a stick...
Off road and slow, I can't disagree with this enough...

...unless you have 4LO.

rkj__

Adventurer
Is it possible to overheat an auto? .. yes, but you have to try... and you would have to pay far less attention to the temp on hot and steep than you do almost every moment in a stick...

Like I said, those days have passed us... auto is better for 99.999% of applications

I have learned it is better to design a vehicle for 99% than the 1%.. that top 5-10% will cost you.. in money c comfort, manners.. it will cost you something...and you will rarely use it

It’s pretty easy to overheat the auto on something like a Honda Ridgeline, by going up a long, steep, slow climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyJ

Adventurer
It’s pretty easy to overheat the auto on something like a Honda Ridgeline, by going up a long, steep, slow climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And my Corvette with a stick would smoke the clutch starting out on a 30% logging road, with 1st geared for 60 mph...

Both cases is due to a wrong tool for the job.

Modern 8+ spd autos remain fully locked past 1st gear, so converter heat is not an issue. My old Dodge 47RE would heat up due to tall gears, wide ratio spread, and never locking up. That's why I did a 2-Lo mod.

rho

Lost again
If you are going technical trails, Offroad and slow, I would expect you have 4 LO.. otherwise you have brought the wrong vehicle to Play that game and you can certainly find the 1% of extreme as an exception to the 99% rule...

And yet that is what started this all... with some new body-on-frame 4x4 pickup trucks not even having that option anymore unless you go for a higher end off road package. Getting the right tool for the job starting to get harder if you're looking for the cheapest 4x4 you can find. I settled on a jeep for that reason a few years ago and my partner would love to go with a similarly no frills 4x4 truck (cheap) but its not going to happen with GM for under 40k.
And she won't go to other mfgs.
Or a smaller truck.
Trust me... I've already tried. :ROFLMAO:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
...my partner would love to go with a similarly no frills 4x4 truck (cheap) but its not going to happen with GM for under 40k.

I just went to the build page, mocked up a 1500 Crew Cab/SB 4WD with the X31 offroad package (locker, 2-speed transfer case, skids, etc.) for just a bit under $40k. And that's just sticker.

shade

I just went to the build page, mocked up a 1500 Crew Cab/SB 4WD with the X31 offroad package (locker, 2-speed transfer case, skids, etc.) for just a bit under $40k. And that's just sticker.
Just under $40,000?
Well, at least it's cheap. :)

rho

Lost again
Which is another indicator of how crazy pricing has become. Whatever the market will bear, and it's bearing a lot these days, isn't it?

Yep. From what we were looking at, most that had the 2sp t-case were 45-50k sticker at dealers in the bay area. The Colorados were all 30-40k, toyotas amazingly were more reasonably priced and spec'd out imho.

shade

Not really. Vehicle pricing, if you factor in inflation, is actually cheaper than ~20 years ago.
I'll take your word for it, but I find it telling that they can knock 1/5 off the price and still make plenty of money. Nothing new there, of course.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
In 2000 a F-150 Supercab 139' 4WD XLT cost MSRP of $25,950. It would have had 220HP. In 2019 dollars that is $38,599. Given the options, HP, and safety improvements, I think the new truck at about ~$40-45k MSRP is a better deal.

A 1990 F-150 Supercab Styleside 155' WB 4WD is MSRP $14,933. In 2019 dollars that is $29,256.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Fleet trucks aren't so fleet, unless you're the DOT or a city garage.

Many companies are trying to keep field techs now. You can expect loaded XL's, power everything, upgraded stereo. No Fx4 though, bummer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears