New Trucks' Stake Bed Pockets? Really?

jage

Observer
So in looking at a 1/2 ton late model pickup for my dad, I keep collecting anecdotes about how the bed will bend, the bed will tear off, the stake pocket will tear out if you even think about using a stake pocket tiedown. But I can't find anyone it's actually happened to. Even online, it's always a neighbor, friend, cousin, or coworker. What is more I've found no google images of stake bed pocket damage from the stake pocket inserts. You'd think there would at least be a rant about good old steel somewhere.

So my question is- is it really an issue, or did everybody just hear it was? And if it is really and issue what is really the worst that is going to happen, short of a wreck?

And we're specifically talking an 1,100lb popup Viking (even though I can't find any giant hardside evidence either).

UHAULER

Explorer
I don't think you will find much evidence, 99.99% of camper owners use Happijack or Torklift tiedowns. Sure the metal is thin on new trucks but you will probably be fine. Run it.

brian90744

American Trekker
Viking camper weight

that 8ft Viking must weight 1600lbs or more dry. your Chevy truck has stake pocket hold downs, any problems??? just FYI
brian

Last edited:

jage

Observer
It's 1100lb dry weight, if you're talking about this one
DSCF4735.JPG

and it's a 93 chevy. to be fair it would be hard to say if any part of the truck is undamaged, but no- the bed stake pocket tiedowns have been more than fine, even with mild off-pavement driving- and everything that made the truck look like it does now (including a T-bone collision)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78