new twist on an old tj problem

irish1371

Adventurer
Ok when I bought my LJ it only had high speed on the heater. I thought no problem, new resistor pack and good to go. I ordered a resistor from rock auto and slapped it in. I still have high spd and now once in a while low spd works but nothing else.

I cleaned my selector switch and checked for any obvious shorts without finding any. So I am down to an unknown style of problem or a bad resistor pack from rock auto.

I would love to have some other speed choices so it doesn't sound like a c-130 taking off inside the jeep every time I turn on the ac. Any ideas/ feedback would be great I'm about out of em myself.

Thanks
Irish

1stDeuce

Explorer
The A/C works on speeds other than High??? :)

Well, you can check the resistor pack easily enough with a multi-meter. Check the connectors on the plugs going to the harness and the switch to make sure they're not melted or burned.

irish1371

Adventurer
nope nothing wrong with the wires or plug and no ac is ont he same speeds as heater high all the time low only when it feels like it, nothing in between

squint

Adventurer
It could still be the selector switch, but most likely you have a vacuum leak. When the vehicle is idling, listen closely inside the cab. Do you hear a little whistling sound coming from behind the switch or glovebox area?

irish1371

Adventurer
squint on the 2006 I believe vacuum is only used to change where the air blows from, the rest is all electrical in nature

squint

Adventurer
You are right. I have fixed my hvac so many times that I am confusing symptoms and fixes. There is also a relay, but if it is blowing at all, your relay is probably fine. Unless the new resistor is bad(which is doubtful)it will probably be your switch. I hear you can purchase them on line individually in the $30 range, but I ended up buying a new set of switches from the dealership for about $80 since that was my only option. Above, I meant to say "speed selector switch"

Last edited:

squint

Adventurer
I just realized that I have an extra fan speed switch in my garage that I can send to you if you like. Once you have ruled out a bad resistor with a multimeter, let me know. The other thing is that the blower motor is a bad design in that vehicle and can cause that resistor to go bad often so you may have reached that point. If this is the case, it will need to be replaced before you buy another resistor.

Rubicon John

Observer
I just fixed my dad's XJ last weekend with the exact same problem as you're describing. It was a bad blower switch. I did replace the resistor as well upon his request. Total cost was $50 in parts and about 30 minutes start to finish.

irish1371

Adventurer
yea I cleaned mine while I was looking at the wires and plug. I believe my card is fine due to the fact some times I get low speed. SO it seems the switch is next. It was very hard to find them online until Morris had the full diagram and I was able to find the correct part number. Now they are everywhere, best price to date is about 17 bucks it seems.

I'll pm ya squint thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears