New Twist on the MedAlert Bracelet concept

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A buddy recently introduced me to a new twist on the medic alert bracelet. This product/service is similar to the online features of SPOT, with email contact lists and so forth. It's ideal for people into individual extreme sports, like white water kayaking, solo trekking, hang gliding, etc...

It is not a transmitter or tracker, but it will help Rescuers figure out how best to treat you if you have any special medical history, or at least figure out who you are should they find your remains...

This product is a decorative rubber band that has a unique number and phone number on it and when emergency medical personnel call the number, it reads back information on the person wearing the band. The web site sets up with up to three emergency contacts, including email and phone number and this info can be accessed by the emergency personnel as well. It also allows the wearer to put in text that says where they are going and when to expect back, and then that message gets delivered to the emergency contacts so they can know to expect you to check in later.

Retail price is $8 for the first year including the band, and $5 renewal per year thereafter.

I thought it was a great adaptation of an old idea.
https://xtremesportsid.com/main/content/view/55/71/

logo.png

1.jpg

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
These are very cool,
I met with the owners of the company at the recent Outdoor Retailer Show and they have a very solid infrastructure to support the purpose of the ID Band. One of the best features is the emergency contact information that is stored on the recording. With a regular ID card you and your emergency contacts still need to be tracked down. With the Xtremesports ID band all of that information is available on the recording.

Brian

Angel?

Adventurer
Great idea if your emergency medical responder has phone access. Sometimes they don't, such as in the wilderness. MedAlerts usually have the primary condition noted on the MedAlert - such as diabetic - and that can be a big help even without phone access.

If one is wearing an alert because they want someone to know about their condition, hopefully they will also carry some form of written description / ID / emergency contact info on person. Small light-weight ID pouches that are easy to carry fit such a use.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I can't really imagine an emergency rescue service without access to radio communications. The base station operator can make the call and relay the info over the radio.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The founder of the company came up with the idea when surfing in the Hawaiian Islands. After a big wave knocked him down, sucked him under and held him down, he washed up on the beach a bit away from where he started. He was fine, but it could have easily gone bad and left him washed up on the beach with no ID.

The same can apply for running, cycling, kayaking, the list goes on. It could also be useful for children, get lost and not know how to tell someone where they live or who to contact.

Brian

JimBiram

Adventurer
I signed on with them at the ASR show and signed up my teenage son, who is always skateboarding. It made good sense for me as I surf alone quite often and the other surfers know me, but don't know any contact info for me. For my son, it allows him to put a note on the web and if I can't reach him after the time he said, I can try to find him.

For $5 a year, its a deal....

BriansFJ

Adventurer
Interesting. I'll have to let my SAR group know about this, in case we run in to it. FWIW, this was hard to find posted under "recovery and repair equipment".

kai38

Explorer
I'm not too sure its a good idea.
We are trained to look for the medic alert tags, but with so many people wearing these colored bands for different reasons, it can be over looked as another fashion statement in the heat of a call.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
BriansFJ said:
FWIW, this was hard to find posted under "recovery and repair equipment".

I had no idea where to post this. I figured human recovery was closer than some of the other options?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
kai38 said:
I'm not too sure its a good idea.
We are trained to look for the medic alert tags, but with so many people wearing these colored bands for different reasons, it can be over looked as another fashion statement in the heat of a call.

It's certainly not a bad idea, it does no harm and only provides a benefit.
There is a medical alert symbol on the band colored in bright orange. Surveys of first responders, fire and law enforcement have indicated that they would look for and notice the band.

You do raise a good point however. Certainly, if someone has a medical condition that everyone must know about immediately they would be more likely to wear a traditional medical alert bracelet that states their condition on the bracelet. This is not intended to replace such an emergency alert bracelet.

Brian

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just sent this to my contact at Rocky Mountain Rescue Group so they would know they even exist. Luckily they do have sat phones that go out with them.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I mentioned these to my EMT class tonight. I gave the students the web address. so there are 40 potential EMTs that now know about the product. 38 more after I meet with the Friday class. As said before, these can't hurt.

djrez4

Adventurer
I use RoadID. It has important info on the bracelet itself AND offers the option of additional info on a website for a subscription. For a first responder, having medical conditions or allergens listed directly on the bracelet is the difference between life and death. There may not be time for a phone call.

LukeHooligan

Observer
I use RoadID. It has important info on the bracelet itself AND offers the option of additional info on a website for a subscription. For a first responder, having medical conditions or allergens listed directly on the bracelet is the difference between life and death. There may not be time for a phone call.

i was just about to bring this up, RoadID is essentially the same thing and you dont have an annual fee for the service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman