New vehicle, new plans, need help from you Jeep guys

Casper

Adventurer
Ok, I know some of you know me, and most of you don't. I have an Expo Vehicle here. I am not looking to replace it. I also have a 2000 Tundra I use as a daily driver. I was going to build it up a little, but now I have another project. I recently came across a 1972 Jeep CJ 5. Engine, drive trane, frame are all in great shape. Body and wiring, well lets just say they might be beyond help. The deal was still worth it though, plus it's a Jeep. Those parts are easy to come by. Or so they say.

My original plan was to drive it the way it was around the property. The more I think about it though, the more I would like to restore it. It is pretty much stock, except it has a 2 inch lift. So, I have been scouring the web for parts. Any places you guys can point to would help. Remember, this is to restore, not build a rock crawler with. My end goal is a fun summer vehicle. I will be doing all the work myself. Any tips or tricks will be helpfull.

Photos will get posted this weekend.

Cheers
Casper
:smiley_drive:

TJ Willy

Adventurer
Ok, I know some of you know me, and most of you don't. I have an Expo Vehicle here. I am not looking to replace it. I also have a 2000 Tundra I use as a daily driver. I was going to build it up a little, but now I have another project. I recently came across a 1972 Jeep CJ 5. Engine, drive trane, frame are all in great shape. Body and wiring, well lets just say they might be beyond help. The deal was still worth it though, plus it's a Jeep. Those parts are easy to come by. Or so they say.

My original plan was to drive it the way it was around the property. The more I think about it though, the more I would like to restore it. It is pretty much stock, except it has a 2 inch lift. So, I have been scouring the web for parts. Any places you guys can point to would help. Remember, this is to restore, not build a rock crawler with. My end goal is a fun summer vehicle. I will be doing all the work myself. Any tips or tricks will be helpfull.

Photos will get posted this weekend.

Cheers
Casper

Collins Brothers - http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com
Quadratec - http://www.quadratec.com
Midwest Jeep Willys - http://www.midwestjeepwillys.com/cj5_cj7_parts.html

Those should help with a restore. Many other parts available elsewhere.

Oh and congrats on the purchase.

Casper

Adventurer
Cool, I had not found those. Thanks guys.

Technicaly I did not purchase the Jeep. I trade 6 lift tickets for the resort I work at for it.

I already have a list of parts to start with. I really want to find a good used tub. New ones are Pricey

Josh

Inc

Observer
Holy crap, when I saw the thread title and then saw the author of it, I thought you got rid of your X. :Wow1:

Glad to see you are adding to your stable and not selling one off.

My first vehicle ever was a 78 CJ5. I have a very soft spot for 5s.

Not sure I'll be any help on your project, but I'll be watching to see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice on the trailer build as well.

Casper

Adventurer
Holy crap, when I saw the thread title and then saw the author of it, I thought you got rid of your X. :Wow1:

Glad to see you are adding to your stable and not selling one off.

My first vehicle ever was a 78 CJ5. I have a very soft spot for 5s.

Not sure I'll be any help on your project, but I'll be watching to see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice on the trailer build as well.

Yea, no way am I selling the X. I seem to have a problem with acquiring vehicles and not ever getting rid of them. Oh well, I guess there are worse habits to have.
I too have a soft spot for CJ's. Always loved them. This one happens to be my age too. You have actually seen it, you just don't know it. Think orange with a white metal hard top... :victory:

This winter I willl be working on it. Don't plan to have it restored fully, just drivable for next summer.

Cheers
Casper

86cj

Explorer
A Real Jeep for sure, you will learn to love it like only a mother could... By the time our CJ was as old as the LJ is now, almost every system had failed...

The short wheelbase will work great offroad with a 2" lift and 31's, just pay it respect on the highway...

A CJ with an Aluminum body is what I lust for, to me it seems like the best choice for a keeper. Rust free CJ anything is hard to come by. The wiring was not much good when it was new, so a replacement harness is a good idea. I would buy a blank dash and get creative for gauges......

Check out the Jeep custom boxes too....
http://www.aqualu.com/5072%20aqualu%20custom%20boxes.jpg

http://www.aqualu.com/5020%20aqualu%20cj5%20(12).jpg

Casper

Adventurer
Well, as promised here are some shots of the CJ. It's not much to look at right now, but it will be. I gave it a quick tune-up, plug, cap, rotor wires and air cleaner. Runs really good. I think it needs some carb work. It has a manuuel choke, that seams to hokey to be factory.

Anyway, or to the photos:
IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

Show, there it is in all it's rusted glory. And I love it.

Cheers
Casper

Inc

Observer
I do recognize that jeep. I hadn't seen it at ORI recently, and now I guess I know why. Fun project for sure.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Rust? Where's the rust?

That tub is fine. It has a some "patina" but I don't see anything on that Jeep worth worrying about. As far as wiring, there's what, 4 wires that are 6 feet long in the harness of a Jeep that vintage? BFD to replace.

:D

Seriously though, just run it the way it is. Do some weekend project type stuff on it as the desire strikes. Just use it as is I say.

Casper

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I am very happy and excited. It does have quite a bit of rust in the rockers, but I don't mind.

I was origanaly going to just drive it the way it was. Now that I have had a chance to think about it I really want to restore it. There is so much out there in the parts world that it should not be that hard. I don't plan to wheel it all that much, don't get me wrong. I will wheel it, just not like the Nissan.

This year, just planning on getting it running really well. Then I will see about finding a tub and going from there. It will not be a total "factory" restore, but close. I will be upgrading a few things along the way.

Two cool (at least to me) things about this CJ. First, it is the same age as me. I like that. Second, nd I didn't remember this until I got it home. I learned to frive in a CJ (not sure the year though) that was this exact color. I know, stupid, but cool. At least I now know I will be keeping the origanal color.

Casper

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Rust? Where's the rust?

That tub is fine. It has a some "patina" but I don't see anything on that Jeep worth worrying about. As far as wiring, there's what, 4 wires that are 6 feet long in the harness of a Jeep that vintage? BFD to replace.

:D

Seriously though, just run it the way it is. Do some weekend project type stuff on it as the desire strikes. Just use it as is I say.

this was exactly my response..haha...

SKT

Have you gotten a chance to do any work on the CJ yet?

I really like the looks of this one, and I'm looking forward to seeing it "freshened" up!

Those meyer hardtops look good on a CJ5 IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78