New Yaesu FTM-350R

BeachBoy

Aside from the hang-up issue some are experiencing, this product is awesome.

Expensive but APRS it itself is worth quite a lot.

You can plug your radio/ipod and it will mute/lower the volume when someone talks on the other band.

2M/70cm and also 220MHz (1W only)

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...ID=106&ProdID=1576&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDXzsSyK__U&feature=player_embedded

FTM-350.jpg

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
It is an interesting radio, but IMHO it is a watered down version of the Kenwood D710a. It is an obvious attempt by Yaesu to compete against the Kenwood. The problem is that the APRS functionality is completely limited to the radio. The radio itself only uses the Yaesu proprietary GPS receivers, so all of the APRS functionality is limited to the radio itself.

I will most likely purchase the Kenwood instead. I had high hopes for the Yaesu, but it just didn't deliver.

BeachBoy

can you set your ipod/radio input on the second channel and mute when signal come sin the first one?

I've read a lot of good things on this new yaesu.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I already stated that I don't own the Kenwood yet, so I'm not familiar enough with it to know if it will mute the audio channel if audio comes in on the primary channel. Regardless, that isn't a priority for me. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. If that is a priority for you, it seems you found a great radio.

I'm more interested in having powerful APRS functionality that will be compatible with external GPSs than integrating with my audio system.

Radio

Observer
I have owned the Kenwood D-700 and the D-7 radios since they came out. I can't say enough about the radios, they performed excellent. My D-700 is a tough performer, always ready to answer the call and do all sorts of neat, jazzy stuff. We use several of them in our Search and Rescue organization.
However, if you have never owned either the Yaesu or the Kenwood (it's not quite clear if you have had an aprs capable rig before), see if you can't play with each before you drop the cash. I would like to bring up the point, having owned the Kenwoods now for many, many, many years and many, many hours/miles of performance, I would leap all over the Yaesu in a heartbeat. To me, it does everything the Kenwood does, just more refined (keep in mind I have only read reviews and seen stuff on you tube...).
I do like Yaesu mobile rigs better then Kenwood (having several Yaesu mobiles scattered around) as they are easier to play with and program. The Kenwood's menus seem backwards to me (Japanese read right to left and this comes out with how the menus are worked/driven. Just my thoughts, I got over it right quick).
I also like that fact that Yaesu has contained everything into it's own unit. No external gps needed. Less wiring, interfacing, crap to go wrong etc. I never had too many problems with my Kenwood D-700/Garmin GPS, but I feel that if the transceiver had it's own gps, less crap to wire! I can use my external gps for mapping, laptop gps interface and if I really want, laptop aprs! (Yes, I can see the flawed logic in my argument about running wires and such, with all that other stuff floating around in the cab etc.:Wow1:)
Last point on my soapbox tonight: I will not buy Yaesu's new rig until generation two! Let the true techo-geeks (pot calling kettle black) figure out the foibles, software errors, how to program and mod.... then I will buy one!
Cheers...

brittan

Adventurer
beach boy...Still happy with this unit? I like it because it has back-lit buttons and a larger display than the 8800. I don't know that I will use the GPS features, as I don't see the advantage unless all your buddy's do it too...and i learned my lession on that with the Garmin Rhino. Plus I'd rather have a larger screen to navigate by.
I see that there are some out of box failure reviews on eham but every device has it's problems so I don't see that as an issue.
Do you use the cross-band repeat feature? I have a FT60 and I see the advantage...just want to know if it gets used.
It's quite a bit more $$$ for the advantages I listed...wanted to see if they are worth it. I'll likely stay with Yaesu as it's what I know.
KE7DOJ

chris snell

Adventurer
Mike,

I did some reading in the manual for the FTM-350R and it looks like it does support NMEA output via it's serial port, so hooking it to a Garmin like the 276C shouldn't be a problem.

I still love my Kenwood TDM-710, though.

Here's a pic. I've since changed the Kenwood screen to green. :)
2757834889_803eccf4c1_b.jpg

Phreak480

Army Guy
too bad they didnt give it some useful output on 220. 10 or 20 watts would be nice. damn manufacturers all think 220 is a gimmick.

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I did some reading in the manual for the FTM-350R and it looks like it does support NMEA output via it's serial port, so hooking it to a Garmin like the 276C shouldn't be a problem.

It's interesting to hear this.... I was on the fence between the 350 and the 710 recently, and I landed on the side of the 710 because I was given to understand that the 350 did not have the same support for NMEA that that the 710 has.

I have downloaded the 350 manual and have a buddy who has the unit as well as having read several online reviews, etc. Can you provide a more specific reference or point to someone who has done this for real?

Thanks... very curious...

brittan

Adventurer
It's interesting to hear this.... I was on the fence between the 350 and the 710 recently, and I landed on the side of the 710 because I was given to understand that the 350 did not have the same support for NMEA that that the 710 has.

I have downloaded the 350 manual and have a buddy who has the unit as well as having read several online reviews, etc. Can you provide a more specific reference or point to someone who has done this for real?

Thanks... very curious...

NEMA is not supported...I went that route. I liked the look and display of the 350 but ended up with the 710. I have a FT-60 and would have gone with the 350 had it supported NEMA. Now that I have the 710 I'm glad I went that direction. The software alone is huge...no need to set every channel...just keep a spreadsheet of what you want your memory settings to be and upload it to the radio.

UT-Rover

Yaesu FTM-350AR

Yaesu has released an updated version the FTM-350AR

FTM-350AR - A Totally New Advanced
144 / (220)* / 430 MHz 50 W FM MobileTransceiver [* 220 MHz 1W (USA version only)]

Two Separate Receivers with Individual Volume Control

GPS / APRS® / Bluetooth® Expanded Capability:
Uses the worldwide accepted GPS NMEA data format
APRS® BEACON station is possible, even if the beacon station is moving.
Waypoint data (Data in/out) is available from the ACC connector on the rear of the main unit. It is possible to acquire your current position (Latitude/Longitude) by connecting an aftermarket GPS receiver to the data port on the back of the radio.
Sub-Band APRS® operation may be active in the background, even when operating in the Mono-Band Display mode.
Newly added Voice Alert function.
Often used keys located in convenient positions for easy operation.
Programmable keys on the DTMF Microphone provide direct access to APRS® functions.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
too bad they didnt give it some useful output on 220. 10 or 20 watts would be nice. damn manufacturers all think 220 is a gimmick.
That does seem to be the case. I wonder why?
The 1.25m band is really only a North American (ITU Region 2) allocation. Since Asia and Europe don't have bandwidth for amateurs there it doesn't surprise me that manufacturers don't really pay much attention to it and I'd assume any radios that cover it do so because it just happened to be convenient and simple to implement, not a primary design criteria. It's a chicken-and-the-egg problem, no one uses it because there's no radios but no one wants to make radios for the band 'cause there is no perception of a market for them. Alinco still makes a dedicated 220MHz radio that does 25W and there are a few Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood models from the 80s and 90s floating around.

wheelerdh

K4WHE
I have a 350r with the new firmware attached to a nuvi 350 via argent data cable. Outputs position and call sign to the nuvi works flawless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger