Newb

photoman

Explorer
New to the forum and to owning a Jeep. :wavey:

I recently picked up a stock 98 XJ which I plan to build into a expedition style rig for my photo adventures across the Southwest U.S.

The XJ as it is right now:
496687560_tWufm-L.jpg

I have seen a lot of great ideas so far and am putting things together for how I plan to build this thing. First few things will be a rear tire carrier, skid for the gas tank, and a 3" OME lift so I can jump to 31" tires when the current ones are due for replacement. Base lining the Jeep will of course happen as well replacing plugs, wires, and all fluids.

Then items like front bumper, winch, roof rack, and additional protection and support will be added. I would love to be able to do lockers right away but that is a big chunk of change. Hopefully by the time I have that to throw into this thing I should know if I am sticking to this model or jumping to an FJ80.

Look forward to learning from everyone here and sharing my build up and trips.

Cheers.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here with a wealth of knowledge.

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
Another welcome. Lots of good info here and for a great place for Cherokee specific info, visit http://www.naxja.org

X2 I am a member over there. LOTS of info there. Make sure that you try to get used to the search feature some of those guys are are anal about that! Check into the Aussie lockers you can get them for 250-300 depending on the Axle. I want a selectable for the front of mine but i have heard nothing but good things about the Aussie!

Nice Rig. Here's mine:

S7300574.jpg

It'll have a buddy this weekend. Got a 2 dr for free!

MTNTECH

It's the Airlander small from Autohome on 4 Thule's. I have a BDS 3 1/2" lift with ACOS in front and 1" longer shackles on Leaf springs. Airflow Snorkel (Australian) from DPG (dpgoffroad.com) with Apollo air filter from K&N. The rear carrier is Wilderness from Garvin with hi-lift Jack, axe, shovel, and gas can. Front bumper is C-Rok in Arizona with Warn XD9000i winch. Cooper STT 33X12.5X15 with 4.56 gearing and ARB lockers. Warn Rock Sliders and DPG Rock Attack X-case skid plate. Set up for flat towing behind MH. Just installed Currie HD Tie Rod and Drag Link. Viair OBA system with compressor in a 1450 Pelican case. My set up is for exploring/camping. I do go to Moab but stay off the hardcore stuff, will be in Moab April 21st to 26th. I am the Vice President Intermountain Chapter NAXJA.

P1010673.jpg

P1010627.jpg

P1010324.jpg

P1010328.jpg

saburai

Explorer
MTNTECH - Wow:Wow1: Sweet Rig! I posted some questions for you over in my thread about re gearing.

I don't want to hijack the new guy's intro thread! Might give him the wrong idea about us:sombrero:

JPFreek1

Explorer
New to the forum and to owning a Jeep. :wavey:

I recently picked up a stock 98 XJ which I plan to build into a expedition style rig for my photo adventures across the Southwest U.S.

The XJ as it is right now:
496687560_tWufm-L.jpg

I have seen a lot of great ideas so far and am putting things together for how I plan to build this thing. First few things will be a rear tire carrier, skid for the gas tank, and a 3" OME lift so I can jump to 31" tires when the current ones are due for replacement. Base lining the Jeep will of course happen as well replacing plugs, wires, and all fluids.

Then items like front bumper, winch, roof rack, and additional protection and support will be added. I would love to be able to do lockers right away but that is a big chunk of change. Hopefully by the time I have that to throw into this thing I should know if I am sticking to this model or jumping to an FJ80.

Look forward to learning from everyone here and sharing my build up and trips.

Cheers.

Welcome to ExPo. Looking forward to hearing about some of these photo adventures you have planned. :)

photoman

Explorer
Welcome to ExPo. Looking forward to hearing about some of these photo adventures you have planned. :)

Thanks- my eyes are bugging out from all the reading. Lots of great threads and all the links in everyone's signatures. Including yours.

I have plans for a few trips to the Page AZ and Vermilion Cliffs area this year.

Just did 1300 plus miles of Oregon and Washington. Some pics already up here:
http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/gallery/7605066_9oiXs#491752249_hzeEB

luk4mud

Explorer
Welcome and nice rig. It sounds like your plans are to build that one sell it and then start on the FJ80. Has your wife seen this thread yet?

photoman

Explorer
Welcome and nice rig. It sounds like your plans are to build that one sell it and then start on the FJ80. Has your wife seen this thread yet?

HAHA.
I am not married. It is my bank account that hinders me.

Thanks for the welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior