Newbie Buying His First Jeep

chrisinkorea

Well I've convinced the wife that we "need" a Jeep! Will be picking one up either mid winter or early spring (need to save our Pennies as they are damn expensive...)

Just a couple of questions. Since there's not a whole lot of off Rossini here in Korea, this Jeep will mostly be used for fire roads/camping duty (nothing extreme) so I'm kind of leaning a bit towards the sport or Sahara as they're quite cheaper. If I want to do a mild lift/more aggressive tires, will the sport or Sahara be ok? The lift I honestly want mainly because you never see it here and it'd be nice to stand out a bit more...
Would appreciate any opinions. I know the Rubicon is the way to go as a base for better capabilities, but I'm not sure we'll need it.

Though, all this may be moot as the wife apparently likes the Moab edition...

Sent from my SHV-E120S using Tapatalk 2

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
The biggest advantage of the Rubicon is the gearing. D44s with 4.10s are much better than 3.73s especially if you lift it and go with 32"+ tires. Add to that the 4:1 low with lockers and that is what separates the Rubicon from the rest. Some will argue to buy a Sport and do the upgrades yourself, but that might be tough in your neck of the woods. I had a 99 Sahara that got totaled in 07 and I replaced it with an 04 Rubicon...the diffence is night and day and well worth the money IMHO. In terms on "not needing it"... It's kind of like 4WD. Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.

Last edited:

Adventure IQ

Explorer
I do mostly fire roads with mine. i would love a Rubi, but didnt want high payments....found a lonely Sport on the lot. Added a 2" lift and it has 32's on it.
If you are going to do lockers, get a Rubi....I will wait on mine so I cn do other upgrades. Just did a winch and bumper....adding water and fuel accessories soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370931867.285122.jpg

www.AdventureIQ.com
Facebook Me! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventure-IQ/210030892407247
Adventute Journal http://adventureiq.wordpress.com/
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/show/adventureiq/id/2291366

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
people greatly underestimate the capability of a base model Jeep, especially JK owners. everyone believes for whatever reason that if you are truly going to offroad you need the 4:1 transfer case and electronic swaybar disconnect; and no body really knows why they think they need that.

IMO you'd be better off getting a sport or even a moab and playing with it. the Rubicons are only truly valuable to people that have done this before and already have an end game in mind or a specific terrain they want to conquer.

get yourself whatever kind of Jeep you want and upgrade it how you please. the smarter you are with your upgrades the more money you can save in the long run

SulVento

Wanderer
A stock Rubicon is EXCEPTIONALLY capable.

That being said, please, do not underestimate what a stock Sport or Sahara (etc....) can do. They are also EXTREMELY capable!

I've yet to "not be able to go" where I want. My personal adventures are more of the overlanding style than the rock-climbing style.

This is my 5th Jeep and my personal choice this time around was a Sahara. It's specs are in my signature. :ylsmoke:

Justincredible

Adventurer
all this may be moot as the wife apparently likes the Moab edition...

Based simply on the cost of the Moab edition (maybe it's different in Korea?) I'd go for a Rubicon.
I personally found a great deal on a used low mileage 2012 sport and I am completely happy with it. It has yet to leave me wanting more, especially when I consider the thousands of dollars saved.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If you want a jeep, you have specific reasons for that feeling and the models/numbers/prices of jeeps is staggering !

If you can affordit without sacrifice--getta Rubi, but

Nobody really needs a RUBICON, it's also a SOCIAL statement and resale benefit-

If/when I get a newer jeep Wrangler--it'll have to be a Rubi, I've had mine for close to five years and used every Rubi accessory-often/w confidence-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
Nobody really needs a RUBICON, it's also a SOCIAL statement and resale benefit-
JIMBO

Really? I've been on many offroad runs that only Rubicons and highly modified non-Rubis were able to complete and I am not talking about technical rock crawling...4:1 and lockers being the difference. Also, 4:1 has made the difference a few times getting my trailer through some rough, steep spots on the trail. Some of us do NEED a Rubicon.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, thats exactly as I feel with my towing too, but

Really? I've been on many offroad runs that only Rubicons and highly modified non-Rubis were able to complete and I am not talking about technical rock crawling...4:1 and lockers being the difference. Also, 4:1 has made the difference a few times getting my trailer through some rough, steep spots on the trail. Some of us do NEED a Rubicon.

I made that statement, because as soon as you say Rubis are best--the world of sports/X owners jump in and say that you should buy a new Sport and just modify it so it'll be better than a Rubi--

I'm sick of that argument so I'll just stay with mine and watch all the falderal

You probably can't imagine what rocks/hills I can climb/w my Rubi/5.38 gears--

Don't hate me, I love Rubis--

Lacy Hershey

Adventurer
I own a Rubi because my thinking was, I am buying a new Jeep and going to have a payment either way so might as well have exactly what I want. And that's what I got .Just happened there was one on a dealer lot that fit the bill. (Have had 3 wranglers previously to this one and never a Rubi)

I have went offroad with a group of people with JKs. One being a JKU sport (3" mild lift) and the other a JK Moab (stock). Both did great. The sport will probably suit your needs just fine. On a toss up between the Sport and the Sahara. I would personally go with a Sport just cause a Sahara just has more bells and whistles for creature comfort and looks to me.

But get what you want that won't break the bank cause you can't enjoy it if you are worrying if you got yourself in a hole financially. Whether if be a Rubi now or a Sport that you get to build up to be your own.

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
You probably can't imagine what rocks/hills I can climb/w my Rubi/5.38 gears. JIMBO

Oh, I don't have to imagine...I've seen it. I just have to balance offroad capability with daily driver practicality which again brings us back to the Rubicon. I know the Rubi vs. X/Sport/Sahara plus upgrades debate very well. Dont forget about the YJ vs TJ vs JK debate that is just as fierce. Since the OP doesn't seem inclined to buy a "project" I recommend the Rubicon because of my previous point. I have never met anyone that said they wish they had not bought a Rubicon, but have met plenty that said they wish they did. Additionally, I have to wonder about the availability for parts in S Korea making the project that much more difficult.

I simply took umbrage to the statement that no one needs a Rubicon and it's a social statement.

wgyouree

KK6LZW
I'd recommend saving yourself the time and money down the road and get a Rubicon. If you look at what you pay extra at the dealer, then look at what it costs to get the same stuff done later, you come out ahead. Lockers, gears, stronger front axle and 4:1 transfer case. That was my plan though, if you don't think you'll ever "need" (want) that stuff then save the money and get any Jeep you want.

chrisinkorea

Thanks for all the replies. I still have times of research and thinking to do before this happens. Mostly it'll come down to money. Although, the brochure my wife gave me days that the Rubicon is cheaper than the Moab... I'm going to have to look into this some more.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Man I can't imagine what troubles you will have in S Korea-

Oh, I don't have to imagine...I've seen it. I just have to balance offroad capability with daily driver practicality which again brings us back to the Rubicon. I know the Rubi vs. X/Sport/Sahara plus upgrades debate very well. Dont forget about the YJ vs TJ vs JK debate that is just as fierce. Since the OP doesn't seem inclined to buy a "project" I recommend the Rubicon because of my previous point. I have never met anyone that said they wish they had not bought a Rubicon, but have met plenty that said they wish they did. Additionally, I have to wonder about the availability for parts in S Korea making the project that much more difficult.

I simply took umbrage to the statement that no one needs a Rubicon and it's a social statement.

Heh Heh, yeah-maybe my pacemaker skipped a beat !

I'd recommend saving yourself the time and money down the road and get a Rubicon. If you look at what you pay extra at the dealer, then look at what it costs to get the same stuff done later, you come out ahead. Lockers, gears, stronger front axle and 4:1 transfer case. That was my plan though, if you don't think you'll ever "need" (want) that stuff then save the money and get any Jeep you want.

Good points

Thanks for all the replies. I still have times of research and thinking to do before this happens. Mostly it'll come down to money. Although, the brochure my wife gave me days that the Rubicon is cheaper than the Moab... I'm going to have to look into this some more.

Do you live there, or Army/Air Force and how much more time will you stay there ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78